Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.1 dB / 14.3 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 61.6 dB / 38.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 17.1 dBm / 12.7 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 24 / 56
tony8436
Grafter

Re: Speed drop after moving to Plusnet from Sky

Some of the previous drops could be when tech support told me to turn it off and on again.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm going to do something called an 'intrusive' test to try and get a bit more line data. You'll likely be disconnected for 2/3 minutes, please don't reboot the router!
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tony8436
Grafter

Line stats after the test
ADSL Line Status
Connection Information
Line state: Connected
Connection time: 0 days, 00:02:51
Downstream: 2.648 Mbps
Upstream: 443.9 Kbps

ADSL Settings
VPI/VCI: 0/38
Type: PPPoA
Modulation: G.992.3 Annex A
Latency type: Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up): 6.0 dB / 12.2 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up): 60.1 dB / 38.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up): 17.2 dBm / 12.6 dBm
FEC Events (Down/Up): 0 / 0
CRC Events (Down/Up): 2 / 46
tony8436
Grafter

jelv mentioned ADSL2 and ADSL2+. How do I find out which I'm on and could this cause the drop in speed?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You are on ADSL2 aka Modulation:  G.992.3 Annex A
I would have thought it unlikely given your attenuation
tony8436
Grafter

Will ADSL2+ be faster and if so, how do I get it?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

So the intrusive test has come back and showed there is no issue with the copper line (shows as clear). I've tried the SNR reset and it showed as a success, and I can see that you are connecting very slightly faster at 2712.
My suggestion now would be to leave everything connected as it, and during daylight hours tomorrow log in to the router, hit disconnect, reboot the router and then log back in and connect. During daylight means there is likely to be less electrical interference as streetlights etc aren't on.
On Monday, assuming everything is still stable I'll get an order through to uncap your upload speed -these orders complete next working day. Normally I'd do that straight away but I don't want to make too many changes at once.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
tony8436
Grafter

Thanks Chris, fingers crossed it works.
tony8436
Grafter

Quote from: AndyH
I had a quick look at the fibre rollout for your area. Your not part of BT's commercial development, but you are part of Telford & Wrekin's superfast rollout plans. I would assume that BT will get the contract and if they do, you're expected to get FTTC with a big improvement (most properties on that cabinet are showing an expected x62.42 speed increase over ADSL).

Where did you find this information because the council seem to be very secretive about their roll-out plans.
AndyH
Grafter

http://www.telford.gov.uk/superfast
The cabinet information is from BT.
tony8436
Grafter

It's the cabinet information I've been looking for, can't seem to find it anywhere.
AndyH
Grafter

Most of the cabinets connected to Hollinswood have no fibre at all (only P12/P19/P21/P22/P23/P35 have FTTC).
It looks like Telford pulled out of BDUK to fund superfast broadband, which delayed the rollout. Although they say in their latest consultation document that they're now hopeful for the rollout to begin in the Spring.
They should be able to discuss with you when your cabinet will get fibre once the tendering process has finished. They have published a list of postcode on their website showing whether you'll be part of the rollout/not part/already have superfast broadband.
tony8436
Grafter

Already seen the postcode checker and it just confirms what I already knew. We are white for NGA and basic broadband. Although not many cabinets from Hollinswood have FTTC, The closest exchange to me and the exchange that serves the housing estate about 100m to our North is Donnington and the second nearest which serves the estates to our south and east is Oakengates. Either of these exchanges would have made it viable to upgrade us. Instead, we were connected to Hollinswood. I have to drive past the exchange in Oakengates to get to Hollinswood. How stupid is that?
AndyH
Grafter

It doesn't make much sense with the wiring sometimes, but it's next to impossible to get it changed unfortunately.
The positive thing about your cabinet is that it must be very close to you, which means when it's FTTC enabled you should get a major speed boost.