Grafter

Re: Speed Issues [Question ID: 46831058]

So did you manage to take the money?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Timbob,
Yes, sorted that now, router is ordered.
Jojo Smiley
Timbob
Grafter

Okay, so I am back to report that this is not going away. Having been moved to ADSL2 and given a new router, having left it for a while to see how it does, the instability persists. The connection will be fine for a while, then start to become choppy and unstable. Streaming video will happen in a 'choppy' fashion, with chunks of the data being downloaded in short bursts; online gaming will be laggy and sluggish; when I run speed tests I can literally sharp spikes in the fluctuating downstream chart. Something is up and we didn't get to the bottom of it before. Again, I've checked all the standard stuff: no noise on my line, used different microfilters etc (my router plugs in at the test socket), and I've left things a while to see how it goes. It's just persistently unstable.

I've opened a new question through the fault checker (48328859), because the old one (46837723) was closed.
Perhaps an openreach visit is required at this point?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi timbob,
Your connection doesn't seem to be dropping much from here. You didn't mention whether it was a wired or wireless connection?
Jojo Smiley
Timbob
Grafter

It's wired. The main PC connects directly to the router which is plugged into the test socket. The connection isn't dropping, it's just slowing down and becoming 'choppy' at random times.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: Timbob
... it's just slowing down and becoming 'choppy' at random times.

Have a look here for some tips. Is it possible that something on your computer could be running in the background, updates etc.?
Jojo Smiley
Timbob
Grafter

Not really. I don't think it's an issue that's local to my PC. If anything, the BT speed check makes this point quite clear.
This whole situation is just really weird. I experienced  flawless service for months and months since the last openreach visit sorted out the grounding of the line, which was causing noise through the handset. Then suddenly, back when I started this thread, it's as though there is some bizarre random packet loss or random throttling of the connection going on. I'm sorry I can't be more specific but I am out of ideas.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Timbob,
Does it seem specific to a particular gateway? You can find out which one you're connected to at http://usertools.plus.net/@gateway - try disconnecting and reconnecting onto a different one and see if that makes a difference.