cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Speed Fault or out of hand capping?

FredPlatt

Speed Fault or out of hand capping?

Hey guys, i've been with you for i think around 6years now? In that time i've witnessed my peak usage and off-peak usage allowance decline dramatically despite paying the same amount for the service which one would certainly be ok with, what with inflation and all that jazz, but we've been in a recession now for at least a few years and while the cost involved seems to stay the same i find myself having to bend over more and more over restrictions that you feel that i need in place on my account. There was a time back in 05-07 that i was able to nock out 30GB peak time and 70GB off peak without anybody batting an eyelid, now i hit 11GB and i get the plusnet police informing me that i haven't yet reached my limit, but to play it safe we'd better cap it all "just a tiny bit anyway". I don't have a problem with the principal in general, capping those that rape and pillage your network is an effect means of maintaining order and keeping things fair for everyone, but it no longer seems the case of targetting the few to help the many and much more a case of capping anyone who actually dares to use the internet that they pay for.
I've taken the liberty of pasting a screenshot below which will hopefully allow insight into my usage and yourselves could maybe either explain what I am doing wrong to allow YouTube to buffer at 3second interviews. I mean the joke of it all is that when capping started becoming a big thing for people (around 2008 onwards i beleive) we were told time and time again from people that the average internet browsing user wouldn't experience any difference and that it would only effect those downloading large amounts of data, which, it seems is no longer the case at all.

Regards,
D.Platt
4 REPLIES 4
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Speed Fault or out of hand capping?

I'm on the same product as you, the 11Gb is just a warning, you won't be throttled till 13Gb after which, yes, the line becomes practically unusable.  The modern packages offer a lot more Gb during "peak" hours, but the hours themselves change, we're capped from 4pm-midnight not 8am-midnight allowing us to download lots, and we can.  Off peak we can download 100Gb in a month without PN batting an eyelid, it's just during peak hours they need to protect the network else everyone would suffer.
FredPlatt

Hi David, many thanks for your reply. It sounds like the new packages offer, as you say, more GBs for the pound. Im currently paying 21.99 a month for this plan but it seems that for £16.99 i could get this "Plusnet Pro" which offers full uncapped speeds at all times and 20GB of usage. Is this 20GB total or 20GB peak though? I was unable to find any supprting evidence either way? If its 20GB peak and 100GB offpeak then that certainly may be a better option than what im currently riding on.
Regards.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The 20GB usage allowance on Plusnet Pro is peak time, 8AM to midnight. There is no limit to off-peak usage (midnight to 8AM). Details are given in the FAQ here.
You can use all of this allowance without restriction. Extra peak time usage is charged at £5 per 5GB as mentioned in Question 8 in the FAQ.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You can compare the traffic shaping of your current product against the new offerings here: http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php
If you are on a market 3 exchange extra would give you 60GB peak (and unlimited off-peak) for substantially less than you are currently paying.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)