Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow upload speed

Polaris1
Dabbler

Re: Slow upload speed

Hi,

As far as I know, nothing else should be running.  I'm not that technical, so I don't have many devices, and I don't use 'cloud' services.  The only thing that uses broadband is my Sky box which certainly hasn't been downloading for a week!

I've just shut everything down except this web page and checked the Windows Task Manager - it is only showing 3-4% CPU usage for Chrome, so I don't think my computer is uploading anything (please correct me if this is not a sufficient check).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

@Polaris1 Which Hub are you using ?

The sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would help here.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

Redact any personal information e.g username before postin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Polaris1
Dabbler

Hi,

My apologies for the belated reply, my car broke down so I was trying to deal with that first!

To answer the various questions, I have now tested the work laptop and the results are interesting as the wireless connection speeds seem normal (i.e. approx 37Mb download, slightly lower than my wired connection which I would expect, and approx 9Mb upload).  Presumably this now points to either my computer (Windows/software update?) or the ethernet cable?

I'm going to try and borrow another Ethernet cable from work today so I can rule the cable in/out, but if that proves not to be the problem, then I have no clue what to try next.

Regarding the hub query, I think it is Hub One, but please could you remind me of the IP address I need to log in to the router.  I couldn't find my instructions last night and although details are probably on the PlusNet web site somewhere, it's probably quicker to ask!

Thanks.

Caroline

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for trying that Caroline, it could be that you've got a network cable that isn't "cat5" that's the standard of cable you'd need to try out if replacing that so I'd start there first. 

The IP to access the router is 192.168.1.254

Adam

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 411

To answer the various questions, I have now tested the work laptop and the results are interesting as the wireless connection speeds seem normal (i.e. approx 37Mb download, slightly lower than my wired connection which I would expect, and approx 9Mb upload).  Presumably this now points to either my computer (Windows/software update?) or the ethernet cable?

@Polaris1  it does! or (just possibly) a problem with the ethernet port on the Hub. Have you tried connecting to a different port on the Hub ?. It needs to be one of the yellow ports 1-4 NOT the red WAN port.

BTW you can forget about logging in to the router and getting the broadband status, your test with wifi proves there's nothing wrong with the basic broadband speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Polaris1
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks everyone, I had already tried different ethernet ports on the Hub, with similar results.

I borrowed an Ethernet-USBc adapter from IT and connected the work laptop using my Ethernet cable.  The speedtest results were similar to my desktop (after disabling WiFi on the laptop), suggesting (to me at least) that it was something to do with the wired connection/cable.  I couldn't actually try a different Ethernet cable as they didn't have a spare available (several engineers on site, apparently).

I do, however, have a really easy solution which I didn't even know I could do (my friend set up my broadband for me ages ago using the wired connection because of the proximity of the router, so I didn't realise my desktop even had a wireless option until he asked if I had tried that).  I pulled out the Ethernet cable from my router and enabled WiFi on my desktop.  Bingo!  Upload speed back to normal! 

At least I can definitively rule out a problem with the computer/software/updates.  Hopefully the WiFi option will continue to work for now, and I will buy another cable at the weekend (mine is Cat5e) to try and see if the problem is with the cable or the ports.  I would like to get the wired option working again anyway as a backup if the wireless option fails.

Thanks again.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

@Polaris1 Glad you've sorted it, and it does sound like a cable issue - to me.

John
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 259

EDIT to the above - when you buy the new cable, I suggest a Cat6 one.

John