cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow speeds

phlim
Grafter

Re: Slow speeds

Yes i do have an NTE5 master socket. Will check the faceplate i was checking behind that because thats where the coloured wires were. And yes those wires/colours match the ones we have with no other additional ones. And the micro filters are all connected properly, we just normally have an extension from the micro filter connected to the router (which is up stairs) going into the test socket. Will move it all back again though.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

OK, thanks, good, post some new stats when back direct into the test socket.
phlim
Grafter

Ok, I'm looking at the back of the front plate and I can see the slots 1-6 with nothing in them! It was like this when i first took the plate off, and this was why i thought i was meant to be looking at the plate behind that.
So as it stands... the blue wires are connected into the back. and they stop there. The green and orange wires aren't connected at all. As if they weren't connected to anything ever (plastic hasn't been peeled/cut back). Are the green ones meant to be connected to 2 and 5? You said the blue ones were meant to be but they are connected else where. Do i risk re-wiring this?
Thanks for the help btw

Downstream  Upstream
Data Rate(Kbps)
                                            5792                      448
Noise margin (dB)       16.1                21.0
Output power (dBm)         11.9                19.7
Attenuation (dB)                   20.0                11.0
The adsl stats seem similar to what they were before.
Just to clarify, the blue wires are connected into the A and B within the back plate and there are no extra wires except for the 2 blue 2 green and 2 orange like you stated.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Apologies if some of this has been addressed in later posts, but it doesn't look like it all has so I'll just make sure.
Quote from: phlim
If i make it less awkward and keep the router plugged into the test socket from now on, after 10 days or so it will resume back to normal?

It should do, yes. Unfortunately though if you then move the router once everything's back to normal again it'll break, because you'll put it back onto your internal wiring.
By plugging it into an extension cable does this count as plugging it into an extension socket?

Essentially yes I'm afraid. I've heard you can get proper shielded extension wiring but then if you're doing that it makes much more sense to use a longer ethernet cable and leave the router in the master (or test) socket. You can get a 20 - 25 metre length of ethernet cable for around £10 from ebay or amazon.
And finally, in relation to the first question. Can this not be resolved untill i fix my "internal wiring"?

Yes - provided you're willing to leave the front plate off all the time. Removing this disconnects the internal wiring, which is why using the test socket has fixed the problem. The moment you add the internal wiring back into the equation I suspect the problem will come back again.

I have no idea whats causing an issue on internal wiring. Will this mean I have to ring up BT to test the test socket for any internal wiring issues?

Nope - as I said above, using the test socket disconnects the internal wiring.
The best way to find out where the problem is would be to reconnect the front plate and see if the sync rate has dropped. If not, you're fine to use the master socket. Then, plug everything else back into the line, one thing at a time. Make sure you check the sync rate after each item is reconnected. It could be a dodgy filter or phone adding interference, so if you see a sudden drop in speed after connecting something chances are you've found your culprit.
If it's all okay then you could go back to using an extension socket if you really must, but the extension wiring is much more susceptible to errors and will almost certainly reduce the sync speed - plus if there are any issues in the future you'd need to move the router back down to the test socket again.
This is because BT will fix any issues on the wiring between the exchange and your premises up to and including the master socket, but anything inside of the master socket isn't included. If any faults are found there when an engineer attends then there's a chance you could be charged I'm afraid.
Hope that helps clear things up a bit.
phlim
Grafter

Ok thanks Matt, that has cleared up a lot of questions. I think im just going to have to keep the router downstairs and sort out the ethernet cable by drilling a couple holes. Thanks
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

It doesn't clear things up for me.
Ok, I'm looking at the back of the front plate and I can see the slots 1-6 with nothing in them! It was like this when i first took the plate off, and this was why i thought i was meant to be looking at the plate behind that.

If there are other telephone points in the property then there are three options
It isn't the master socket
The sockets are connected using star configuration from a centre junction box
The internal wiring is bodged
Anotherone
Champion

No, do not touch the A & B terminals, that is OpenReach's responsibility, but apart from which unless you have an IDC tool you couldn't transfer the Blue wires to terminals 2 & 5.
I'll post more in a moment when I've read Matt's post.
Anotherone
Champion

Jim, I expect someone (previous occupant) has connected the extension wiring to the A & B terminals because they didn't have an IDC tool.
Anotherone
Champion

Right, to clear up the points that Matt has raised, with the right standard of cable (CW1308), which it sounds as though you have, once any fault is fixed, you should be able to plug into your extension socket without any degradation unless you have electrical equipment or cables running along side your phone line and such electrical stuff is generating lots of spikey interference. This isn't that common, so there is hope.
The whole point of being in the test socket is that under normal circumstances the internal wiring is disconnected just to be sure there is no problem with it, and this is where the modem/router should remain plugged in whilst tests and engineer visits are carried out as & when required.
Once an NTE5 master socket has been fitted, all internal wiring is the responsibility of the occupant/owner. BT charge one huge price for sorting internal wiring, it's best to do it yourself, it's not difficult. What you need to do is get a cheap plastic IDC tool from a store that sells telecoms stuff.
I'll post suggestions in a moment.
Anotherone
Champion

If the incoming BT cable is correctly connected to this "Master" socket, then what colour are the other wires connected to the A & B terminals, they should be White & Red (with a stripped back black sheath), you may also see a Green & a Black pair not connected. It's possible it may be the other way round and the red & White are not used, but the Black & Green are.
If you are prepared to do without your extension sockets for a short while, disconnect your ppp session, power down the modem/router.
Use the correct screwdriver on the A & B terminals to remove the Blue/white & White/blue extension wiring, just leaving the BT incoming cable connected.
Edit: If/once you have done that, whilst the modem/router is off, plug a corded phone into each of the "extension" sockets in turn and confirm they are all dead (no dial tone or other noises).
phlim
Grafter

There are literally no other wires that i can see apart from the orange/white and white/orange, green/white and white/green (which aren't connected and appear to have never been connected to anything). The blue/white and white/blue wires are connected to the A and B. I'll post an image of it give me a second.
The strange thing about it all is that it appears to have been like this ever since we've been living here. No-one that i know of has changed it or even looked at it as they wouldn't know what's going on. It all went slow 2/3 days ago, before that it was all fine.
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, pictures will be a great help.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Do you have any other WORKING phone sockets in the property
phlim
Grafter

Here's what i've been looking at http://imgur.com/a/ilCou#0
And no there are no other sockets in the property.
Anotherone
Champion

Hang on confusion rains, so lets be clear, I (and possibly the others) had assumed you had some fixed extension wiring and fixed extension sockets in additional to this NTE5 (pics are fine). So you normally plug an extension lead into the front plate of this socket and that lead goes up stairs and you plug you modem/router in there, have I got that right?
Edit: spelling