cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Speeds and poor Downloads (merged)

alegeek
Grafter

Slow Speeds and poor Downloads (merged)

I've been having very slow speeds since around 9:30am on sunday, I've tried two different routers, four sets of filters, my profile says I'm on 5.5mbps yet I cannot get over 158kbps and have massive packet loss on all the gateways I seem to connect to. I cannot even get iplayer to play Sad
I've never seen packet loss so high on the first hop (the plusnet gateway), my average response time is 2000ms! After the gateway it drops to around the 100ms but the connection is useless for anything other than basic surfing.
11 REPLIES 11
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Slow Speeds and poor Downloads (merged)

Have you gone over your usage allowance?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
alegeek
Grafter

Nope, this month I have used 2.2gb. Support thought my ip address was the cause so switched me to dynamic - made no difference..
What I find interesting is that the online portal says I've used 365mb today, there is no way I've done that much. I cannot load things properly, I even have trouble using speedster.bt.com. But if I change my login to speedtest@startup_domain the speedtest loads fine which is how I know my profile on bts side is fine.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I think I can make a guess at what is happening (the clue being that your usage is more than you think possible). I've just looked back at your previous posts in other topics:
Quote from: theoddbot
Thanks, I understand now Smiley
I'll purchase a new router and send the Thomson one back Smiley

Did you remove the user name and password from your old router? If not I suspect whoever has it is logged on with your details.
If that is a possibility I strongly recommend you go on to the portal and change your password - then update the password in the router. You next need to make sure you are disconnected and contact CSC to ask if they can see your user connected and if it is boot it off. Whoever is using it will fail to reconnect because you've changed your password and then you can safely reconnect.
We've seen it before when someone passed their old router to a relative who was also on Plusnet and it caused mayhem!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
alegeek
Grafter

That router hasn't been sent back yet Smiley It's sat on the side waiting to be sent back, but I've also used it to check if my new equipment is the cause but the Thomson Router and my new Belkin both cannot download faster than 15kbps with speed tests showing i'm limited to 158kbps download.
My profile still say's 5.5Mbps, I changed my password today, set a totally incorrect password on the router, disconnected and call support to see if it showed me logged in anywhere and it didn't so I put the new password in the router and re-connected, same problem!
Hopefully something can be sorted soon as dial-up speed broadband sucks Smiley
dick:quote
alegeek
Grafter

I thought best to start my own thread as my posts were taking someone else's posts off topic, sorry!
What I find strange is the following, when just browsing it gives the following:
1 2 ms 2 ms 4 ms dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
2 48 ms 48 ms 48 ms lo0-central4.ptn-ag03.plus.net [195.166.130.79]
3 48 ms 47 ms 48 ms gi2-24-342.ptn-gw02.plus.net [84.93.253.51]
4 61 ms 62 ms 60 ms po4.ptn-gw01.plus.net [212.159.1.138]
5 59 ms 59 ms 58 ms gi3-0.pih-cr1.plus.net [212.159.1.177]
6 59 ms 58 ms 110 ms if25.pih-lb04.plus.net [212.159.0.18]
7 61 ms 57 ms 58 ms portal.plus.net [212.159.8.2]
Trace complete.

Soon as I start a download the traceroute turns into this:

C:Usersedward>tracert plus.net
Tracing route to plus.net [212.159.8.2]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
1 2 ms 3 ms 2 ms dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
2 684 ms 595 ms 785 ms lo0-central4.ptn-ag03.plus.net [195.166.130.79]
3 * * * Request timed out.
4 * 776 ms * po4.ptn-gw01.plus.net [212.159.1.138]
5 * * 762 ms gi3-0.pih-cr1.plus.net [212.159.1.177]
6 707 ms * 631 ms if25.pih-lb04.plus.net [212.159.0.18]
7 547 ms * * portal.plus.net [212.159.8.2]
8 678 ms * * portal.plus.net [212.159.8.2]
9 * *
Speedtests show the following http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk/results/156195611.png
This is broken away from http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,103715.0.html
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
Friday's issues have left our network out of balance: http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2&support_action=messages&ispservice_id=adsldial that left us in a position where a lot of our customers were only utilising half of the platform so you may be one of those.
Do keep an eye out for updates to that post.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
alegeek
Grafter

Thanks, I've tried dropping my connection and come back on various different gateways but it's the same speed problem.
Do you happen to know which gateways are working properly? I've no problem trying to sit click disconnect/reconnect until I get on one of these gateways. I've also tried everything suggested on that posting.
I've had my dedicated IP removed, put back, password changed, swapped routers, you name it I have tried it 🐵
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Split off topic and new topics merged to keep it all in one place
alegeek
Grafter

Well I'm no longer restricted to 128kbps since last nights Emergency Maintenance:

I've got to say, after being so impressed with the Plusnet service for many months this whole episode has left a sour taste in my mouth. The whole problem since the national outage on Friday in my opinion has been badly handled by Plusnet, tech support not being able to explain the slow speeds and the indecision coming from them when talking on the phone wasn't very comforting. Lot's of "hmm's" and "errrrr's" on every call, they are supposed to be the professionals and I didn't feel they were after each call. I've got to say bar 1 tech on Monday the whole speaking to support left me feeling like I was dealing with TalkTalk again!
Communication in status updates has been poor, even your webstats problems get more attention than this problem did.
Will customers be compensated for the extremely slow speeds as a result of this outage?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi theoddbot,
Well I'm no longer restricted to 128kbps since last nights Emergency Maintenance:

I am more inclined to think that the 128k would have been your IP profile restricting you due to all the disconnections (see the graph at the bottom)
Communication in status updates has been poor, even your webstats problems get more attention than this problem did.

As well as planned maintenance posts here and here, we've also kept service status updated here, here, here, here and here. So I wouldn't say communication was poor.
Lot's of "hmm's" and "errrrr's" on every call

I'm surprised by that, as our agents have been well briefed. I will feed back your experience though.
Will customers be compensated for the extremely slow speeds as a result of this outage?

I'm afraid that's not something we'd do in these circumstances as this issue is across the whole network and is affecting other ISPs.

Jojo Smiley
alegeek
Grafter

I am more inclined to think that the 128k would have been your IP profile restricting you due to all the disconnections (see the graph at the bottom)

Then why did your support team tell me each time I called that my profile on BT's and Plusnet's side was set to 5.5Mbps?
I can honestly say, I'm quiet fed up with the problems I've been experiencing since this national outage. My internet was perfect prior to this outage. I've done everything possible to give as much information about my speed problems as possible and it's still not being acknowledged properly by Plusnet that this is all linked.
It's strange how as soon as the Emergency Maintenance completed, my 128kbps speeds went back to almost 5Mbps!
I have two support tickets open with you, one was last responded to by your team at 2:54pm, Monday 2 Apr 2012 and the other 3:26pm, Tuesday 3 Apr 2012. I don't expect updates every hour but something within 24 hours should be standard. I am still having problems with my internet and I'm having to use a VPN account to browser certain sites such as ispreview, facebook, jacamo and many sites that rely on SSL connections. I get so many time outs that it's unreal, all works perfectly over a free vpn account though.
I just want things working the way they we're before this outage and for Plusnet to realise they haven't handled this problem well at all!