Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending mail from outside plusnet

tonycollinet
Grafter

Sending mail from outside plusnet

Hi
I have mobile broadband with 3. Can setup IMAP to read mails - is there any way to send via relay.plus.net (IE access via password?)
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Mand
Grafter

Re: Sending mail from outside plusnet

As long as you have a subscription account you can use SMTP auth, with the username and password of your main account.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

I have mobile broadband with 3. Can setup IMAP to read mails - is there any way to send via relay.plus.net (IE access via password?)

I don't think so. Normally, as you suggested, it is possible to use authenticated smtp via the plusnet server ( relay.plus.net ) when not connected to the PlusNet network, however I believe 3 block port 25 except for connections to their own server smtp-mbb.co.uk. So I'm afraid that when connected to the 3 network you need to use their smtp server to send mail.
An option would be to subscribe to an authenticated smtp service like authsmtp.com who provide servers on different ports http://www.authsmtp.com/faqs/faq-4.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tonycollinet
Grafter

Thanks both
I'll try the 3 server.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Using three's server I think you'll find it will only accept emails with a three "from" email address. In which case:
Quote from: MrC
Tah-dah.....
OK, just found the following info on t'web which someone winkled out of 3 support.
Change the smtp server to smtp-mbb.three.co.uk as this one doesn't  rewrite addresses on the fly in the same way that smtp.three.co.uk does. I assume that smtp.three.co.uk is solely for 3's own email service and that smtp-mbb.three.co.uk is for evryone else (mbb == mobile broadband?). Note: normally email sent through smtp.three.co.uk doesn't get counted against your data allowance; I'm not sure if this is true for smtp-mbb.three.co.uk so you might want to experiment before sending large attachments.
I can now send email from a 3 mobile with the from and reply-to headers set to whatever I want - yippee!
Mike

(Click the quote header to get to the original topic)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)