cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samknow white box

apjashley1
Grafter

Re: Samknow white box

They have published the code that runs on the box - if you are super paranoid you could download and compile it yourself.
Bjn
Grafter

@Razer
We are  monitored through out our lives often covertly by governments and any other sources (shops, banks, ISP and any site you visit on the net to name a few) the data protection act is often flouted by companies  at home and does not apply if they are offshore.
If you're doing nothing illegal you have nothing to worry about, for example if you have a Tesco card they know what you buy where and how often does it really matter.For all we know what information does Plusnet hold or admit to our internet use/activity?
Enjoy life its a fact we are been watched, so only worry if your involved in illegal acts.
Razer
Grafter

I don't want to twist the thread right off so will just say the idea that a person has nothing to worry about if they're not doing anything wrong is a very bad idea. The right to privacy. Simple as that. And if governments saw everything they'd be able to catch all the criminals they claim monitoring is for with especial ease and rapidity. They don't.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

I think the point here for me anyway is that this gives me a heads-up on what my connection is doing over a long period of time by monitoring the ISP's performance, so any device that can offer me stats for free without having to hack anything is all good.
I think this little box of tricks is perfect for looking at data that i wish to see.
1     Single & Multi-threaded HTTP download speed test
2     Single & Multi-threaded HTTP based upload speed test
3    Consumption of the connection – the amount of data sent and received
4     Availability of the connection – when it is unavailable
5    Jitter
6     Latency
7     Packet loss
8     DNS query resolution time
9     DNS query failure rate
10   Web page loading time
11   Web page loading failure rate
It works both ways!
Finguz
Grafter

Quote from: Razer
I don't want to twist the thread right off so will just say the idea that a person has nothing to worry about if they're not doing anything wrong is a very bad idea. The right to privacy. Simple as that. And if governments saw everything they'd be able to catch all the criminals they claim monitoring is for with especial ease and rapidity. They don't.

The paranoia on display in this thread is depressing.
If you're genuinely worried, don't use the box, simples.
Edit: FYI, when one of the shady government agencies from your overactive imagination wan't to monitor your traffic, you can be sure they will do it without asking and without the need of a third parties monitoring tool. Nothing you do, short of not using the internet, will have any affect on the outcome either.
shalom2010
Grafter

Hear hear!
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I've been accepted to take part.  Now i'm waiting for my whitebox!!!  Shocked
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
NedLudd
Grafter

Quote from: shalom2010
Hear hear!

Ditto!
Geoff,
York.
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: Finguz
The paranoia on display in this thread is depressing.
If you're genuinely worried, don't use the box, simples.

I don't and won't.
Edit: FYI, when one of the shady government agencies from your overactive imagination wan't to monitor your traffic, you can be sure they will do it without asking and without the need of a third parties monitoring tool.

Paranoia and an over-active imagination? Then you state that it can be done anyway. Not paranoia or over-active imagination then, is it? You can't have it both ways.
Nothing you do, short of not using the internet, will have any affect on the outcome either.

There's plenty that people can do and are doing - millions, every day, but then, they're all just paranoid, eh.  Roll_eyes
I'm not particularly interested in a lengthy discussion on the topic, nor want to seriously divert the thread, as said. I simply wanted to make my comment to Purleigh without any great, in-depth seriousness. I'm perfectly at liberty to do so, as I did, just as he is perfectly at liberty to wonder as he did. We are free to discuss relative matters that may arise on subjects here. To paraphrase you; If you and others are genuinely bothered, don't read the thread. Simples.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Just to let everyone know whos going to be receiving a Whitebox, its not Gigabit. You have to connect LAN1 from the router to the WAN of the whitebox and then connect all LAN/Ethernet devices to the whitebox. If you have a gigabit router, this will slow you down to 100Mbit.
I emailed off Samknows about this, they do supply Gigabit versions as far as I could tell. When I actually need gigabit, I'll get them to send me one with gigabit compatibility, should be simple, methinks.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: meh
Just to let everyone know whos going to be receiving a Whitebox, its not Gigabit. You have to connect LAN1 from the router to the WAN of the whitebox and then connect all LAN/Ethernet devices to the whitebox. If you have a gigabit router, this will slow you down to 100Mbit.
I emailed off Samknows about this, they do supply Gigabit versions as far as I could tell. When I actually need gigabit, I'll get them to send me one with gigabit compatibility, should be simple, methinks.

Thanks for the info, what router did you get if you don't mind me asking, or does it only have 1 aerial.
I would like mine to have at least 3 so i can also let it map as many local SSID's as possible..... Just kidding! Grin
apjashley1
Grafter

Mine's gigabit - did you select the right option on signing up?
shalom2010
Grafter

@meh - If it's 'only 100 Mpbps' I doubt anyone reading this will be affected as the current FTTC product is limited to 80 Mbps!
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

@30FTTC06: it's some TP-Link one as far as I remember, really tall black arial sticking out the LHS of the back.
@apjashley1: I honestly don't remember. Knowing my blindness, I must've put 100mbps.
@Shalom2010: Granted, but I have a Home Server box and three WD NAS'es on the LAN, 100Mbit been killing the speed to no end.
Il edit this reply (and the other) and see if they have gigabit ones. If they do, I shall kick myself for putting up with 4MB/s transfers to my WHS box since November just because I didnt select the right thingybob and then wasnt bothered to get the gigabit variant LOL.
shalom2010
Grafter

@meh How do you know it is speed limited to 100 Mbps? Is it from the model number? (I'll let you know the one I get - when it eventually arrives)