cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[SOLVED] DD-WRT Router (E4200) + Netgear DG834 Modem - ADSL Bridge Mode Setup

PhilUK

[SOLVED] DD-WRT Router (E4200) + Netgear DG834 Modem - ADSL Bridge Mode Setup

Hi all,
I'm currently trying to set up the above kit to connect to my plusnet ADSL2+ connection in the configuration:
Netgear DG834 Modem Router (acting in modem only mode) --> Linksys E4200 (running DD-WRT) --> Rest of Network
I have set the DG834 in modem only mode using the factory firmware using the 'hidden' page described here:
http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=34348
The modem has the IP - 10.0.0.1 and is showing a successful broadband connection when plugged into my phone line.
I have a network cable which runs from port 4 of the switch on the DG834 to the WAN port of the E4200.
The issue I have is that with the E4200 set up in PPPoE mode with my username and password correctly entered into the boxes I never get an external WAN IP showing in DD-WRT and therefore I never have an internet connection in this config.
Questions I have are:
1) Does plusnet support this method of connecting using PPPoE from DD-WRT to a modem in bridge mode to obtain a connection?
2) Are my IP settings correct?
The DD-WRT IP configuration is as follows:
Local IP address: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Local DNS: 192.168.1.1
3) Does anyone have a guide on how to configure DD-WRT with an ADSL connection. There seems to be bits and bobs out there relating to FTTC but nothing matching what I am trying to do.
Thanks for any advice,
Phil
13 REPLIES 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: DD-WRT Router (E4200) + Netgear DG834 Modem Router - Set Up Help Needed

It looks like you are pretty close to what is needed.

So the answer to Question 1, is YES that mode is supported.

In Question 2, it depends !
When you say "Gateway: 192.168.1.1"
  Do you mean that that is what you set on the PCs on your network ? (that is correct)
or
  Do you mean that is what you have set the "gateway" to within your router settings ? (that is incorrect)
If the latter, your router should be getting it's gateway address automatically from the Plusnet servers when PPPoE establishes the connection.

Question 3,  I doubt if a guide would help as you appear to be VERY close to having a working setup.

If I was stuck in this situation, I would -
First try changing the router gateway setting to auto, and see if that works.
Try halving the problem and see whether you have a modem or router problem.
Disconnect the router, and instead try using a PC to connect by PPPoE into your modem, to see whether you can get a working internet connection.  If that doesn't work then you might need to go into the modem settings and check things like PPPoA,VCI,VPI, etc. 
Otherwise if the PC+bridged modem works, then you know that your router settings are not right somewhere.

Another thing that come to mind, was when I converted my ADSL modem/router to act as a PPPoE to PPPoA bridge, like you are doing,
I had to change the encapsulation method from "VC-Multiplexing" to "LLC/SNAP-BRIDGING", for it to work.

Hope one of those suggestions gets you going !
Wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just spotted  "Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0", 
is that for the LAN address of the router ? - if so that is correct,
if it is the subnet for the WAN address, then that is wrong and most likely should be "255.255.255.255"
Wink
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: PhilUK
3) Does anyone have a guide on how to configure DD-WRT with an ADSL connection. There seems to be bits and bobs out there relating to FTTC but nothing matching what I am trying to do.

As far as I am aware, once the router is correctly set to connect using PPPoE to a modem, the router settings should be identical for ADSL or FTTC.
PhilUK

I now have it working thanks to Purleigh's advice, thanks so much!
For reference and to help others trying to match this set up with dd-wrt and a modem:
My set up is as follows:
Netgear DG834 Modem Router
Running netgear firmware 3.01.31 set in modem only mode using the hidden settings page described in the link in my first post in this thread.
Multiplexing changed from 'VC based' to 'LLC based' in modem settings.
LAN IP for Modem: 192.168.0.1
IP Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Linksys Cisco E4200 Running DD-WRT (kingkong 22000M)
Cat 5e LAN cable running from WAN port on E4200 to port 1 on DG834 switch
Factory reset applied before set up to remove any conflicts I had created with my fiddling around
WAN Connection Type: PPPoE
Username: yourusername@plusdsl.net
Password: yourpassword
Force Reconnect: Unchecked
Advanced Settings: Not Used
Router IP: 192.168.1.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 0.0.0.0
Local DNS: 0.0.0.0

Everything else is left as defaults, I haven't yet altered any of the DNS settings to use the openDNS servers. Just glad I've got it working now!
Cheers,
Phil
Anonymous
Not applicable

Cool
Good to know that you got it working !  Smiley

I would definitely recommend setting up the router DNS for OpenDNS. !
If you have an OpenDNS account with custom settings for content filtering, anti-phishing, anti-malware, anti-proxy, and anti-URL spoofing, then use 208.67.220.220 and 208.67.222.222.
If you don't have an OpenDNS account, then I would recommend 208.67.220.123 and 208.67.222.123, to give your network some protection from internet nasties in addition to being a fast and reliable DNS.

My other observation, would be that you might want to enable that setting for "Force Reconnect",  because both BT and Plusnet do overnight maintenance on their networks which occasionally cause your PPPoE session to drop.  I think that "Force Reconnect" will get the router to automatically re-establish your connection after a PPPoE drop, and keep your internet online.  Without that set, you might discover that on some mornings that you have no connection, and then have to login to you router, and click on the <Connect> button to start a new session.
Wink
PhilUK

I have now done as suggested and put the OpenDNS server settings into the DD-WRT config:
Again to let people know where to put these in DD-WRT:
Under Network Address Server Settings (DHCP)
Static DNS 1: 208.67.220.123
Static DNS 2: 208.67.222.123
P.S. The force reconnect seems to be a setting to force a reconnect of the ADSL connection at the same time every day (rather than auto-reconnect). I believe DD-WRT standard behaviour is to 'keep-alive' the connection but I will report back if this appears not to be the case.
This set up is now working like a dream. Low pings and so far seems to be very stable with great range on the wireless too.
Now to start actually tidying up some of the cabling I have running everywhere haha.  Roll_eyes
Thanks again for the help,
Phil
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: [SOLVED] DD-WRT Router (E4200) + Netgear DG834 Modem - ADSL Bridge Mode Setup

I suggest using two different OpenDNS addresses if possible
I always thought that these were the ones
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: [SOLVED] DD-WRT Router (E4200) + Netgear DG834 Modem - ADSL Bridge Mode Setup

@'Oldjim' - I have already briefly explained why the ".123" servers might be a good choice ! - perhaps you need to go and read about the various OpenDNS services  Roll_eyes

@'PhilUK' -
Hopefully other forum members will see your success in doing this, and will be inspired to dump their Plusnet supplied modem/routers, and discover what a joy it can be to have a decent modem coupled with a router that is up to the job - particularly when using custom firmware !
Do you have any plans to add a caching http proxy server (e.g. 'Squid') to your setup ? - I can highly recommend it, especially on ADSL !
Wink
PhilUK

Quote from: Oldjim
I suggest using two different OpenDNS addresses if possible
I always thought that these were the ones

I think those are the standard OpenDNS IP addresses. The ones purleigh supplied are the familyshield ones. P.S. they are 2 different IPs but only in the third set of digits.
Thanks,
Phil
PhilUK

Quote from: purleigh

@'PhilUK' -
Hopefully other forum members will see your success in doing this, and will be inspired to dump their Plusnet supplied modem/routers, and discover what a joy it can be to have a decent modem coupled with a router that is up to the job - particularly when using custom firmware !
Do you have any plans to add a caching http proxy server (e.g. 'Squid') to your setup ? - I can highly recommend it, especially on ADSL !
Wink

Here's hoping!
I have to say I'd never even heard of caching before but it looks interesting. Looks like some reading up may be needed!
Phil
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another project to consider is IPv6 !  Cool
Now you are running DD-WRT, you could use your router as an IPv6 tunnel endpoint, so that all the computers on your network have access to the wonderful world of IPv6.
Sign up for a free IPv6 tunnel broker account with Hurricane Electric, copy the tunnel settings into your router's IPv6 configuration, and your network will start using IPv6 (in preference to IPv4) where the websites you visit are IPv6 enabled.
Wink
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Phil
You may also wish to take a look at this post.  You should be able to adapt the settings to permit you to manage your DG834 via your DD-WRT router.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105753.msg1072307.html#msg1072307
eg.
ifconfig `nvram get wan_ifname`:0 192.168.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o `nvram get wan_ifname` -j MASQUERADE
ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
PhilUK

Just added these commands and now have access to the modem interface without the need to hard wire to it. Thanks!
Phil
dick:quote