Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNR Reset please

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: SNR Reset please

Quote from: Chris
If you're going to reboot the router it's best to do so during daylight hours, there's generally less 'noise' around.

I do find it between 1:30pm and 2:00pm are the best time to reboot the router
sully666
Grafter

While I was at work today it appears I had a "ppp0 LCP down" again. Downstream SNR has gone up to  9.5 and current rate is down to 15042.
sully666
Grafter

AND the speed is on the way down again

I am loath to report a fault YET again as Plusnet seem incapable of getting anything sorted for me. Seriously considering looking elsewhere as customer care has been shoddy to say the least so far  Sad
AndyH
Grafter

The problem is going to be pin-pointing the fault - irrespective of which ISP you are with.
The weather won't be helping things either...particularly if you have overhead pylon telephone cabling.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Looks to me like the DLM is behaving exactly as it is supposed to do: reacting to changing line conditions to try and keep the connection stable. Are you running anything to continually monitor the noise margin? It may be that if you spot the noise margin heading south you may spot when there is a problem on the line before it drops low enough to cause a disconnection. Then would be the time to use the quiet line test on the phone and see if the issue is affecting the voice side of the line.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
sully666
Grafter

I am waiting to here back from TP-Link as Routerstats doesn't work with my current router. I will not go back to using the Thomson as wifi isn't good enough.  I do have Thinkbroadbands Broadband Quality Monitor set up. Nothing has changed in the internal setup since I was with BE.
Only thing it could be is the line outside or something on the pole or further along.
Beginning to despair of anything ever being decent again.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I suggested you use both routers previously (the TG582 to connect and the other just as a wireless access point). If you are not prepared to do that and can't properly monitor the noise margin on your own router you are going to have to use the TG582 at least until you get the issues resolved.
sully666
Grafter

The first suggestion is something I would struggle to do as I am not sure how?
My son doesn't want to go back to the 582 as he is finally able to use his Xbox over the wifi.  
Homeplugs do not work as we live in an old house, we have tried them.  
My wife does not wish me to drill holes through 3 thick walls to route Ethernet cable upstairs to his room.
Would just like to be able to use the internet etc without all the hassle I am feeling at the moment.  NEVER had this with BE!
PS  Line is quiet at the moment  Also is it possible my PN and BT profiles are set differently?
AndyH
Grafter

The 582 would be used solely to connect to the internet. Your TP-Link router would provide your wireless coverage still.
You connect the TP-Link to an ethernet port on your 528 router with an ethernet cable. You would need to change the router type to Access Point in the admin settings page.
It's a good idea by jelv as it will allow you to monitor your noise margin, whilst maintaining the good wireless coverage with your TP-Link router.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Does changing the type to access point also disable the DHCP?
AndyH
Grafter

It would appear not according to this: http://www.tp-link.com/en/article/?faqid=417
sully666
Grafter

It is undoubtedly a good idea, but I would struggle to find somewhere to put both routers.
AndyH
Grafter

The floor? It's only a temporary step until you can get an idea of when the noise margin is changing.
sully666
Grafter

It looks to complicated for me and I class myself  as computer literate.  Will just have to endure it.  Maybe TP-Link will get back to me with a solution to monitor stats.
Good start to 2014  NOT  Angry
sully666
Grafter

Have reconnected the 582 (Son still in bed so hasn't had chance to moan yet )
I assume I just connect one ethernet cable between 582 and TP-Link?
Quote from: AndyH
You connect the TP-Link to an ethernet port on your 528 router with an ethernet cable. You would need to change the router type to Access Point in the admin settings page.

Is this the admin settings of the TP-Link?