cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Google search on Windows 7 with IE11

tynygongl
Grafter

Google search on Windows 7 with IE11

I've started to get "Ad" results at the top of a my Google search lists but when I try to open them I always get the message 'This page can't be displayed' even though any alternative without the Ad symbol can be. I've tried various changes to Ad settings etc. but without result. I'm NOT a 'techie'!!
10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Google search on Windows 7 with IE11

I just tried and I have the same system as you with no problems so as you assume it must be a setting somewhere
Have you tried a different browser
tynygongl
Grafter

Just tried Chrome - same results!!
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Which Internet Security program are you using
tynygongl
Grafter

As well as Windows own, I use Avast which I've always done though of course it constantly updates
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Do you have adblock installed, or have you made any changes to your hosts file at all?
tynygongl
Grafter

I don't know what you mean by either of these!! I said I wasn't a techie and that's no exaggeration.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Adblock is an extension for Chrome, and it does what it says on the tin - blocks adverts Smiley
You can check your extensions I believe by visiting chrome://extensions/ or by opening the Chrome menu by clicking the button on the right and clicking 'extensions' on the left - if adblock shows in the list there, that'll be what's doing it. You should be able to disable or remove it from there if you wish but I'd recommend trying browsing with and without for a while, I use it myself and the lack of ads more than makes up for not being able to click on the sponsored links at the top of google searches in my opinion Smiley
Hope that helps explain.
tynygongl
Grafter

Ah, yes, that's why I didn't understand. I don't actually use Chrome but tried it to see if it had the same problem, it did, so I went back to IE 11. Incidentally I tried to revert to IE 10 but when I downloaded it, it said it was already installed, but when I check to see what version of IE I have, I am told IE 11. What's that all about?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That sounds like it's been updated as part of Windows update. Once you have the new version of a piece of software, it replaces the old one hence why you're now not able to load IE10.
Not sure if IE11 has any inbuilt ad blocking, but if you've installed any toolbars or anything that could be doing it?
tynygongl
Grafter

Thank you so much for taking time to explain things that most under-40's seem to know instinctively! (I'm over 60) it's the only way I'll learn. I'll leave the Ad business as there are ways to get round it even though it's still annoying.
Thanks again
Regards Ian