cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router light is blue but no wifi

DiggySoul

Router light is blue but no wifi

I am currently using the test socket, which was advised by plumber support, WiFi was fine for a day. But it seems to be everyday the router is blue and yet it decides when it will connect and this is very rarely(why am I evening paying for this?) We are encouraged to work from home, which means running off 4g (paying more for it)
But I’m confused because my sky box is connected to a wireless port which is connected to the router, this never drops out? What is going on?
4 REPLIES 4
DiggySoul

Re: Router light is blue but no wifi

Auto correct, the plumber had nothing to do with it. It was all Plusnet!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi @DiggySoul 

A warm welcome to the forums.

Can you please clarify your statements?

"The light is blue" - that means that the router is successfully connected to the internet.

"No WiFi" but the Sky box is wifi connected and works OK.

So what is not connecting, to what?  If the Sky box is wifi connected, the router is showing a blue light and Sky is working OK, then it rather sounds as though there is a problem with the device in question, not WiFi and not the internet connection.

How did you post here?  Over your Plusnet connection or over mobile?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

DiggySoul

Hi @Townman ,

Yeah the routers blue light is on so it must be connected.

The sky box is running through a tp-link av1000, which isn’t a WiFi extender but plugs in to the port in the router and then to the sky box.

WiFi is intermittent, dropping off of devices, work pc, MacBook and both iPhones. When the WiFi drops the blue light on the router is still on.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Thank you for the clarification.  To be completely clear, the TP AV1000 pair are not the WiFi WAP versions?

This sounds as though the router is channel hopping (which is what it is supposed to do) but the connected devices are taking time to follow channel hops.  As a first pass on solving this, it would be sensible to download Meta Geek's inSIDDer wifi spectrum scanner to see what the channel utilisation looks like.  Check channels 1, 6 and 11 and see which is the least congested and / or is not overlapped by stations on other (bad) channel numbers.

Then set you 2.5GHz channel to one of 1, 6 or 11 ONLY.

Also you mention MAC Book and iPhones - these have a poor reputation of flipping between 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands if those bands use the same SSID.  This can be mitigated by giving the bands distinct SSIDs - add 5G to the 5GHz SSID and see if matters improve.

Fix iPhone Wi-Fi Problems: Part I | Steven M. Jordan (stevenjordan.net)

Aggressive roaming causes most Wi-Fi problems for iPhones and iPads.  Roaming occurs when multiple APs broadcast identical SSIDs.  These Apple devices are quick to jump ship compared to other clients (e.g., Android). Excessive roaming causes wireless drops, slow data rates, and poor battery life.  What's more, all roaming decisions are made by wireless client (i.e., iPhone) –not the wireless AP or controller.

Additional factors can also influence wireless grief:  iPhone standby settings; spectrum preference; legacy rates; encryption; and signal strength -too much or too little.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.