Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning to Plusnet (sort of ...)

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Returning to Plusnet (sort of ...)

Bit of a complicated one. Was a Plusnet customer for many, many years until I moved house in 2022. Couldn't move my broadband service to my new address as Plusnet didn't do FTTP at the time, so with their help, I switched to a 2 year deal with BT. I kept my email service with Plusnet as they host my domain name for free and I use that for email (the domain hosting was compensation for a data breach years ago - older members will remember). My email account is still registered with my old address as I never got round to phoning to get it changed - that might be complicating things.

I'm out of contract with BT as of next month and wanted to come home to Plusnet. I spoke with a customer advisor today who said the best way forward was to start a new account as a new customer at my new address, but to continue using my old email account - so I'd effectively have two Plusnet accounts - my old free one for email and a new broadband one. It would seem simpler just to add broadband to my current email only free account, but that didn't seem possible. Any advice on the correct way forward?

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

Re: Returning to Plusnet (sort of ...)

I spoke with a customer advisor today who said the best way forward was to start a new account as a new customer at my new address, but to continue using my old email account - so I'd effectively have two Plusnet accounts - my old free one for email and a new broadband one. It would seem simpler just to add broadband to my current email only free account, but that didn't seem possible. Any advice on the correct way forward?

I think the advisor is correct. It might seem simpler to you to add broadband to the free account but I'm pretty sure that its not possible. So I think the only way is to create a new account.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

Thanks MisterW. If that's the best way forward, I'm happy to do it. I just wanted to guard against (a) losing my email address if Plusnet decide in the future to stop providing free email services and (b) losing the ongoing free hosting and renewing of my domain name which Plusnet do as long as I remain a customer - concerned that at some future point I lose that.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I may be wrong but I think that's the only way forward!. I understand your concerns regarding the hosting and free email account and, whilst its no longer possible to downgrade to a free email ccount, AFAIK there are no plans to discontinue existing free accounts.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

Oh, I must have just made it for my email account. I presume they stopped them sometime in the past 18 months or so?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

IIRC it was June 2022 or thereabouts

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

Correct @MisterW . 😀

John
ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 25

@Uncle_Tupelo Once an account has closed or in the past been made as a mail only account we're unable to activate the broadband on this. You can carry on with your account for your emails and also create a new account for the broadband.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I ran with two PN accounts for a period which may exceed a decade under very similar circumstances.

The associated domain has been migrated. The associated ('free') PN account was subject to quite a few oddities.

Uncle_Tupelo
Rising Star

Oh! What sort of oddities? I haven't noticed anything in the past two years.

greygit1
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I got a bit peed off with the false positives on the PN spam checking with e-mail. And (to be honest?) the errors returned to external e-mail providers appear to be more informational/defintive/correct.