Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove static ip

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Remove static ip

Hi, I just wondered how & if I can get a static ip removed from my account? The online wizards just send me round in circles & if I call in I'm just told to raise a fault by text which I don't think worked and this isn't really what I need anyway so I'm a bit stuck.
There is no mention of static/dynamic IPs in my add-ons list.
9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Remove static ip

I know you have been around for a long time, @southerner , so forgive me if it sounds like I'm trying to teach granny how to suck eggs. Are you sure you have a static IP?

John
pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@jab1 wrote:

I know you have been around for a long time, @southerner , so forgive me if it sounds like I'm trying to teach granny how to suck eggs. Are you sure you have a static IP?

Oh I had this!

I too do not have a static IP, but then, if your 'non static IP' remains the same for months and months - even when you turn your router off and on again - then it's pretty static AFAIAC. 😃

So I know this is a 'thing'. Though I am unaware of what the current situation is on my BB.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@pvmb The reason for the 'apparent' static IP because PN have small 'pools' allocated to exchanges/areas, so you can easily pick up the same one, even after a longish time.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi @southerner 

Judging from the IP address you’ve posted here from, I suspect you do have an actual static IP. I can’t check your account tonight as I’m not in the office (currently on the train home back to Sheffield Cheesy)

Do you have the broadband firewall enabled? As we’d add a static IP free of charge if so. This is just due to the way that the firewall works in our network. 

Instructions here on how to check if the firewall’s on or off: https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-plusnets-broadband-firewall/

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@Gandalf I absolutely do have a static IP but like @southerner there is nothing in my add-ons about it. There used to be a while back when the site still gave access to the older style pages but this "new super" website has removed lots of the goodies (I've complained about this over the years so no more ranting here). Not that I want to change anything but would like to support some one when we are both experiencing the same fault.

Edit: Oh  and I don't use the PN firewall FYI

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@SpendLessTime, yeah some accounts have static IPs added long ago not through the Add-Ons tab. In @southerner's case, you have a static IP component and also the broadband firewall is set to low. I can remove the static IP component if you'd want me to, but you'd still be assigned a static IP (likely a different one) due to the firewall. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I noticed that Business accounts have the "Old" static IP address page that I remember us retail customers having in the past. (I was checking through the Static IP Help page testing all the links) But it doesn't return the correct result for us poor retail customers.

As I said merely academic testing for me.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Hi
What brought me here is 2-fold really.
I've been having problems streaming Netflix, Prime and Disney+ 4k content the last few weeks. As part of trying to remedy this I was looking through my Hub 2's logs and saw frequent blocked DDOSing attacks from what looks like a Chinese IP address. So I just wonder if this is normal and just the router doing it's thing and blocking and logging these events or whether I'm getting some kind of malicious attacks that are degrading my service because I have a static IP? I also wonder whether having a static IP for a long time whether you can wind up getting blocked by some servers for whatever reason and of course this would follow you around? Would appreciate any advice.
PS. As you mentioned I also have the Plusnet firewall in my account set on Minimal. I think I selected this a long time ago when I was going through my settings as this best balanced risk and functionality?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @southerner,

The performance issues you're having shouldn't have anything to do with those DDOS attacks and I wouldn't worry about them as the router's firewall would just be doing its job, if the logs are showing to be blocking them.

Also having a static IP isn't really any different than a dynamic IP so nothing to worry about there either.

I've tested your line and the tests aren't showing any issues with your router getting the full 79.9mbps download speed, and 20mbps of upload speed. Are your devices connecting wirelessly to the router or do you have a laptop/computer plugged into the router using an ethernet cable which you're experiencing issues streaming from too? 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet