cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote pinging of my Static IP stopped or blocked at midnight ?

FIXED
daveg6hni
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Remote pinging of my Static IP stopped or blocked at midnight ?

I use ThinkBroadband's Line Quality Monitor (BQM) to keep an eye on my recently upgraded to FTTP Internet connection and up until midnight it was working fine. But at exactly midnight pinging my Fritzbox 7590 / static IP is failing or is being blocked ?

I monitor (BQM) two PN FTTP lines, my work one is fine, but my home one is no longer accepting pings, the only difference is the router, so I have checked my Fritzbox filers and Stealth Mode is still disabled and according to the logs no changes appear to have occurred at or around midnight ?

So I was just wondering if PN may have made the change as I'm lost as what else it could be ?

5 REPLIES 5
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 6

Re: Remote pinging of my Static IP stopped or blocked at midnight ?

Hi,

One of my colleagues just flagged this up to me, I think I've fixed it, the one that's posted on Thinkbroadband is showing replies now. Is everything else all working normally or was it just this and anything else trying to ping you.

Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
daveg6hni
Rising Star

Hi Dave, yes my BQM appears to be working again Smiley 

Although at Online Ping IP Address - Ping tool for IPv4 (dnschecker.org) first test was 1 out of 5 returns 80% failure rate, 2nd test was 0 out of 5 returns 100% failure, 3rd test 5 out of 5 returns 0% failure ?.

Everything else I've tested appears to be working fine though.

Can we know what it is / was ?

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Fix

A single link failed on the physical device you're connected to just before midnight Monday night, ordinarily that isn't a problem as it's designed to cope with losing half the capacity never mind just 1 link and still be able to operate normally but for some reason a tiny amount of ICMP traffic was still trying to use this link.

I'm still a little concerned that there's still some packet loss showing on your graph, do you know when that started? Trying to work out if that's something on the network still or something else.

Remediation work to bring the failed link back up is scheduled overnight tonight.

Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology
daveg6hni
Rising Star

David Hi,

I think the apparent packet loss is a "feature" of Fritzboxes as it seems to come and go.

According to my Sam-Knows box I have zero packet loss, unless you can see anything your end ?

Regards, Dave

dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Thanks, no I can't see anything else that would be causing it our side and none of the graphs I can see show the same so hopefully it's just the Fritzbox.

Dave Tomlinson
Plusnet Technology