Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Regular high latency and slow speeds

jbage74
Dabbler

Regular high latency and slow speeds

Hi all,

For the past 6 weeks I have had a very unstable connection between midnight and 10 am. Latency spikes from 17ms up to 500+ and download speed drops from 39 to 2-10.

Openreach have checked my line and yesterday a qube engineer visited and checked my set up etc and said everything was fine.

I have the same issue on my old Tplink modem and my new hub 2. The high ping happens at the same time every day on wired and wireless connections.

I was called by plusnet this morning and they are at a loss what to do. They assigned me a static IP address as suggested by the qube engineer but it seems to have made no difference, I was getting slow speeds and high ping until 10am.

Any ideas would be appreciated as it's unusable at night at the moment.

Thanks

Jason

3 REPLIES 3
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Regular high latency and slow speeds

Hiya Jason, thanks for getting in touch. 

I'm really sorry for the issues that you have been having with your speed and latency. I'm really sorry that the steps recommended by the engineer haven't resolved the issues. I'd like to do what I can to help here.

I've tested your line and nothing stands out to be honest. There are however, some drops that have been occurring over the last few days. I've popped an image of this below, can you advise if any of these are your rebooting/ swapping over the routers? 

One thing I have seen upon reviewing your usage over the course of today, is that there's been a larger amount of usage on either the upload or download between midnight and 10am. When running your speed tests, are you running these at a point when nothing else is connected (also ensuring that no uploads/ downloads/ updates etc occurring in the background?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
jbage74
Dabbler

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

When I run the tests there is nothing else using data (only my pc on). As for the drop outs, the 1900 on Sunday was me swapping routers, the 2 at 1500 monday were the qube engineer and the one tuesday morning was me resetting after I was told told to so I could use a static IP address.

I usually go online gaming from 2300ish until just past midnight. It's after about 50mins of gaming that the connection drops. My computer is off by 2 am, but when I turn it on in the morning it's still unstable until 10am.

I was working last night so didn't go on the pc at all and I noticed that this morning my connection was fine! I'm working tonight aswell so will check the speeds tomorrow morning. It seems like it becomes unstable if I go online gaming at night.

I'll update this post when I see what it does.

Thanks,

Jason

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 223

Thanks for the update Jason, how are things looking today?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team