cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent peak-time speed problems (Nov 08) - Please read this!

PB

Re: Recent peak-time speed problems (Nov 08) - Please read this!

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: PB
3.  Your IP Profile, as reported by Plusnet
Your current broadband speed is 8000 Kbps

That is not a "valid" real speed, suggesting PN hasn't received any data from BT
4.  Information from the BT Speedtester

What was the IP profile reported by BT? (you didn't post it)
Sorry I should have pointed out the data for the speed tests was from PN. BT speedtester does not work for me (because i'm on LLU ?)
Router data: Sync consistently around 4192kbps / 640kbps
Cheers
PB

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

the data for the speed tests was from PN. BT speedtester does not work for me (because i'm on LLU ?)
Router data: Sync consistently around 4192kbps / 640kbps

That explains it. Thanks. Wink
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi PB, your slow speeds would have been caused by the issues Tiscali were having. They should nearly be resolved now (they emailed us stating they were).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
PB

Hi Chris
Thanks. I figured it was probably  Ticali causing most of my problems. The figures others were reporting (presumably on BT) didn't look quite so poor. at the moment I have a download speed of about 3.5 Mbps, so hopefully things haved stabilzed.
🙂
PB
pierre_pierre
Grafter

re #4
still all over the place
latst
and BT after firefox updrade to 3.04 and reinstall flaky Java (just before the above
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    Your DSL connection rate: 8128 kbps(DOWN-STREAM),  448 kbps(UP-STREAM)
    IP profile for your line is - 7150 kbps
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 6014 kbps
todays graph below
Cartzim

re #26
Someone's downloading something. Why can't I?
Today 17:09 165 kbps (20.6kB/s) 77 kbps (9.63kB/s) Share
Today 14:44 1527 kbps (191kB/s) 341 kbps (42.6kB/s) Share
Today 11:53 1130 kbps (141kB/s) 293 kbps (36.6kB/s)
Angry

pierre_pierre
Grafter

I  know what you mean - but PN still think its OK
techguy
Grafter

I think the network is struglling with unprecedented demand so maybe they need to light a couple more segments or add some more transit depending on where the network bottleneck is occuring.
godsell4
Rising Star

What about general browsing? Do you find you sometimes find you need to click the same link 2 or 3 times to get it to load?
Clearly Gold traffic should not be dropping. Why is the Ellanoya not doing this automagically by dropping more and more silver/bronze traffic if required ... unless of course there is none of that traffic left to drop.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
paulh
Rising Star

My speed tests have certainly improved no end, although they are very inconsistent (my graphs look like pierre-pierre's). But last night, for instance (Sunday 16th) browsing was still
scratchy.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If you look at the graphs here then you can see that the amount of Gold Drops is significantly lower and shouldn't be having as much of an impact as previous. The reduced complaints in this thread pay testament to that.

@Pierre_pierre
Your graph is showing that the very slowest you've received is 2800 but your speeds are generally higher than that? I'd be interested to see what speeds a different speedtest gave at the same time as the lower results (which are still good IMO), as it could be congestion at the speedtester in your instance.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
James
Grafter

Morning chaps.
I've just had a quick look at our graphing from this end and things appear to have been generally okay over the course of the weekend.  Sunday was a little busier than Saturday, but nothing dramatic with regards to gold drops.
I promise you that we're paying very close attention to this issue, and ultimately the main cause is down to extremely high numbers of customers being online (start of the Christmas shopping season, etc) and a gradual shift in usage trends (more streasming traffic, less P2P).
Mondays are generally our busiest night of the week, so Dave will be keeping a close eye on things, as ever.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

@chris.  I dont have a problem with speed, just doing my bit to help other people show the fluctuation, my browsing was a bit laggy Sunday with slow page loading, but hey its a lot faster than the other people
zubel
Community Veteran

Moderators Note
I'm desticking this topic as the majority of speed complaints seem to be solved.  If you do continue to have speed problems, feel free to post the requested information in this thread.
B.
MickKi
Grafter

I know that the Ellacoyas are seriously expensive and therefore assumed intelligent, but everyday experience shows different.  Not withstanding the recent glitch with gold traffic I have noticed that downloads are often jagged compared to other ISPs.  By jagged I mean that throughput starts to climb steeply until it reaches a maximum value and then it bounces up and down (usually down) until the download completes.  There is also a perceptible lag (milliseconds to seconds) between clicking on a URL and getting a response from the application.  I tried at a friends place on Sunday morning and on his long line (best part of 4 Mbps slower than mine) the download/uploads seemed to be much more responsive when starting, with a much straighter line thereafter.
Of course, I am not sure what's the cause of the lag and jagged throughputs (could be general Internet contention anyway) but I am examining my options in terms of products and providers.  I understand that if I changed from BBYW Option 2 to BBYW Pro for gamers, ALL traffic will be flagged as high priority and therefore it should not be throttled at all.  However, the Ellacoyas will still process the packets and such processing may incur some time penalty (especially at busy times when the switches are loaded).
Noticing that some of you are on the Pro Option I would be interested to know what is your experience with respect to initial lag and how often have you found your download speeds affected by throttling?