cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

website connectivity problem

kmilburn
Grafter

website connectivity problem

I'm having an odd problem accessing http://www.miniclip.com and was wondering if anyone else is having similar problems..
The main problem that appears is the page starts loading, gets to about 80%, and seems to stop responding.  clicking on one of the game links starts to load that page, but again it  stops responding.  If I take my laptop to work however,  the site behaves normally. 
I've also checked with a couple of relatives who use Plusnet and they do not have the same problem.  The one difference however, I am on broadband PAYG, while they are on 'your way' options 1 and 2.
From a number of experiments,  including 9 different combinations of browser, 3 operating systems, and 2 different computers,  I thinks it's safe to assume it's not my computers at fault.  There is still the possibility of the the router, but it seems far to selective for that!  One other peculiarity,  if I refuse cookies the website is a bit more responsive sometimes but still fails.
So,  has anyone else seen this,  or have any ideas of other things to try, to narrow down what is going on!
TIA
Kev.
6 REPLIES 6
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: website connectivity problem

just loaded in less than ten seconds for me
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

loaded very quickly for me too.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
paulby
Grafter

One thing worth trying is setting your MTU to a lower value. Try1430 and setting RWIN to 166800 if you're running Xp or Win2K.  If you're running Vista you can only adjust MTU.
This page explains what to do.
Some websites can be fussy about MTU settings and it's worth a try to see if that's the issue. (It's more to do with the routers on the way to the site than the site itself - have a look here under "Path MTU Discovery".)
kmilburn
Grafter

I hadn't though about the MTU,  I've seen problems caused by that before,  but not for some time..
And unfortunately,  it doesn't appear to be the cause of this problem.
Interestingly,  on my linux box netstat is showing a number of active connections to the miniclip server,  they all have 600 to  800 bytes in the Send-Q (i.e not acknowledged by the remote host).
When I  stop firefox the connections goto the FIN_WAIT1 state and stay there for some time,  again indicating that the server has not responded the FIN packet  (or it got lost somewhere).
This one has got me baffled!
scootie
Grafter

loaded for me and i use mtu of 1500.
kmilburn
Grafter

Looks like I might have to concede that miniclip just doesn't like me  Cry
If I use an external web proxy  the site loads fine,  while it will not load if I go direct.  Angry  so it looks like it's an issue between me and them!
Thanks to those who tried to help.
Kev.