cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RIN and Phorm

doitagain

RIN and Phorm

I should be grateful for any comments on the following. I am on ADSL max PAYG. Last year I was informed of the RIN trial. I changed my router setting to plusdsl2.net and promptly forgot all about it.  Recent publicity about Phorm caused me to review my settings and to realise that if I continued to connect via RIN I would be exposed to Phorm. As I am not keen to be embraced by Phorm I changed my router setting back to plusdsl.net and immediately got a very much lower reported connection speed (courtesy of DSLZONE). That speed reduction may well have been unrepresentative but gave rise to the question: Is there any reason to suppose that my Plusnet broadband experience will be any different in terms of connection speeds and traffic shaping if I stop connecting via RIN? Or to put it another way - what's in it for a RIN participant? Any thoughts will be appreciated.
cp:blue Another Phorm post merged into this thread. Lets try to keep all Phorm discussion in one place. mod:end
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

RIN and Phorm

Quote from: doitagain
I should be grateful for any comments on the following. I am on ADSL max PAYG. Last year I was informed of the RIN trial. I changed my router setting to plusdsl2.net and promptly forgot all about it.  Recent publicity about Phorm caused me to review my settings and to realise that if I continued to connect via RIN I would be exposed to Phorm. As I am not keen to be embraced by Phorm I changed my router setting back to plusdsl.net and immediately got a very much lower reported connection speed (courtesy of DSLZONE). That speed reduction may well have been unrepresentative but gave rise to the question: Is there any reason to suppose that my Plusnet broadband experience will be any different in terms of connection speeds and traffic shaping if I stop connecting via RIN? Or to put it another way - what's in it for a RIN participant? Any thoughts will be appreciated.
[Moderator's note by Jonathan (chillypenguin):  Another Phorm post merged into this thread. Lets try to keep all Phorm discussion in one place. ]
I am not sure why this was combined as it really isn't about Phorm per se  but my experience is that the speed tests in the middle of the evening using BBMax were slightly slower. However I don't know if that was the effect of being on the PlusNet pipes or a different route to the tester.
I will carry out some more tests this evening as it is of interest to me also.
chillypenguin
Grafter

Re: RIN and Phorm

I have split it back out  Wink
Put the origin merge down to a misleading title, as you say the post itself has very little to do with Phorm!
Chilly must read posts fully before merging as titles  may be misleading.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I've switched back from RIN and it's not quite as good I think. When watching streamed videos from the BBC news website I am getting more frequent break-ups.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Jelv:  Can you please let us know if that gets worse as we go into this evening?  We are keeping our eye on this one and your feedback will be useful.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Just looking at the network graphs and there's nothing out of the ordinary, no latency on gold traffic and no packet drops. You tried anything else jelv?
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
doitagain

Apologies to one and all for the posting error and misleading title. Inexperience and stupidity. Hope this goes to the right place.  Embarrassed
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

just ran a few speed tests on BBMax and there was no significant difference between RIN, ptn-ag2 and thn-ag1
Note my stable rate is only 2000kbps