cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Profile problem (again)?

The_10th
Grafter

Profile problem (again)?

I have noticed over at least the last few days my internet being a little slow. I carried out a mybroadbandspeed test which returned 2.2Mbps DL and 375kUL. A test carried out on 24th august was 6.6Mbps DL and 375kbps UL.
I checked my router which is connected at 3616kbps and is normally 8192kbps. My line speed profile on plusnet was over 7000 but having checked now it is 2500!!!
Checked usertools exchange checker which is green. This was green many months ago when there was an exchange problem so don't have a lot of confidence in its real-time status.
Router stats:
                                      DOWN  UP
Connection Speed  3616 kbps  448 kbps
Line Attenuation         12 db         3 db
Noise Margin         9 db         10 db
26 REPLIES 26
itsme
Grafter

Re: Profile problem (again)?

Looking at your downstream attenuation and the fact that your had previously syncing at a higher speed I would suggest that the problem could be at your end either the wiring, a device plugged into an extension or the modem/router. So it will be the normal fault checking of plugging into the test socket in the master box with a different filter and if possible a different modem/router. If this does not increase your sync speed then the problem is with the line or BT equipment.
The_10th
Grafter

Line attenuation normally is 11db Down and 2 db Up. Noise normally is 11db down and 20 Up.
James
Grafter

Odd.  Have you rebooted?
The_10th
Grafter

Nope. Router is left on all the time. WAN uptime is at present, 156hrs. Don't want to be rebooting as just raised a ticket and no doubt will see me rebooting as sync attempts. Doing nothing like that if possible as sneaky suspicion BT again.
Ticket no: 30035024
James
Grafter

Sorry - I should have rephrased.  Please can you reboot.
There's a chance it was a rogue resync and rebooting may well cause your router to sync at a sensible level.
The_10th
Grafter

Many Thanks James - now syncing at 8128kbps as normal with attenuation/noise margins showing as they should be.  Smiley
How long will it take for my line profile to change from 2500 to 7500?
James
Grafter

Hopefully within 24-48 hours.
The_10th
Grafter

I read the following on the Kitz website:
"Stuck bRAS profile"
Although not quite so common these days as when dslMAX was first introduced, there is still the odd occasion when a line seems to get what is known as a stuck bRAS profile.
When your line is first profiled the theory is that the DLM system should set your IP profile in line with your sync speed within the first 75 mins. If a profile is not correctly set then the default value of 2048/2000 is used. This may clear within 3 days and it may help if you say leave your router switched off overnight... but some lines just seem to get "stuck".
From my own observations this mostly appears to happen on the better quality lines - ie ones that don't loose sync or need any automatic DLM configurations.
If you suspect a stuck bRAS on your line then you will have to contact your ISP asking them to get BTw to clear a stuck bRAS profile fault.

I do have a high quality line and wonder if the profile is stuck. Don't want a weekend of slow speeds so wondered if BT can check/reset profiles without NFF charges as my profile was stuck at 2000 a few months ago?
Should I leave the router on or would switching it off/on a couple of times during the day help to change the BT profile?
James
Grafter

Keeping it on is the best bet.
I don't think that you have a stuck profile - it's too early for that to be the case and it's quite rare these days.
Definitely rare, given your profile is set to 7150Kbps Wink
The_10th
Grafter

Tongue re profile - did you change it?
Carried out speed test but still getting 2mbps dl.  What should I input as the service id on the bt speedtester page btw?
James
Grafter

You'll need to reboot again.
The profile had already changed by the time I'd looked at your account.
The_10th
Grafter

Rebooted but still getting 2mbps dl.
The bt speedtester is asking for a service id but what do i enter?
>>> If I leave that blank I get and error:
The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider

The_10th
Grafter

Ticket no: 30035024  - will someone take a look at this?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

it gone knocking off time on a Friday, you might be lucky, or could try phoning 0114