Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems streaming You Tube

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Problems streaming You Tube

To give a little more information - it works OK here but it maxes out my connection at just under 3 Mb/s download speed
Try using Bandwidth Meter to see what is happening http://www.rokario.com/
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and in my case I did say it took 11 seconds and that it played OK, I did not download it I played it.  Azagoth seems to have a connection problem as they are always complaining in the same vain, but unless they give more information no one can help.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Fully concur with mikeb's comments. On my 8M connection it downloaded much faster than it played but it was still still stuttering like crazy because my CPU was stuck on 100% (also on a 2.4GHz PC).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

CPU usage 30 - 38% but on a reasonably decent CPU Intel Dual core E6750 2.66GHz and usage is equal on each core
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just gone back 40 posts and all on the same theme, appears to be using a PS3
mikeb
Rising Star

Whilst I obviously know what a PS3 is I have absolutely no idea what that actually means in terms of performance ... but something tells me that it probably isn't good somehow ! However, I have just noticed in another post from Azagoth that the DL speed on his connection is currently ~1Mb which if correct and 'normal' means that this particular vid is never going to play whilst DLing no matter how fast a PS3 might be in processing the data and it's always going to take 15/20 mins to DL completely even on a very good day. Quite why he was apparently getting what equates to something more like ~512kb performance the other day is and will remain a bit of a mystery until more definitive connection/spec info appears.

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
pierre_pierre
Grafter

on another link I suggested it was at his end and not PN as his speed had dropped again, but mine had been OK since Plan A this weekend, answer was he knew it was PN's fault
Azagoth
Grafter

Not using a PS3 here, using a rather meaty PC that's geared towards high-end rendering.  The PC is not the problem, the problem is definately somewhere on PN's network and as you'll know from the numerous other people suffering the exact same problems it's not just limited to me.
Azagoth
Grafter

Check this out.  Only a short 2:33 video tahts' 21MB in size and it's taking an absolute age to stream.
tywyn
Grafter

Same problems with Veetle at peak times. I'm trying to watch something tonight and it plays for 2 secs then freezes.
I raised a ticket back in April; and have done the wireshark captures etc, but I mean come on it's only November so I shouldn't expect too much  Roll_eyes
I'd go as far as to say that they don't actually know how to create certain digital signatures.
Mand
Grafter

Re:Problems streaming You Tube

We can create some signatures ourselves, but some need to be done by Arbor, and they only release two firmware releases per year, so there can sometimes be a bit of a wait.
tywyn
Grafter

Well Mand it's well past 6 months since I submitted the original ticket, and it's one of the main reasons I'll be leaving PN when my contract is up in March. Do you really think it's reasonable to expect to have to wait a minimum of six months before a digital signature created when software is released. So everytime popular software is realeased we have to wait months for a signature to be created. That's just not good enough I'm afraid.
I can't even watch TVCatchup this evening due to MASSIVE pings on some of the gateways. Download speeds are poor are peak times, streaming is useless and from what I've been reading even games like WoW is suffering with massive pings.
Can you please tell me what exactly I'm supposed to do with this connection at peak times. Surf and send email?  Because for a long while now that's all it's fit for.
Tsonga
Grafter

What the heck is going on with YouTube again? No problems for two months and now I can't watch a simple stream at 7pm anymore; started last night!  Huh
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Could have something to do with this.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Tsonga
Grafter

No idea, as I don't understand what it says, but hopefully that's what it is!  Wink