cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pro add on....grrrr

oioi

Pro add on....grrrr

I am paying for the pro addon which I thought would give me low pings for gaming any time night or day.
Then why the hell do I get massive lag spikes during the champions league football matches?
This has happened too many times when major sports events etc are on to be a coincidence.
I suspect that numerous plusnet members are streaming the football amongst other p2p activities and while I think that is fine,I took out the pro addon to give me top priority bandwith for gaming.
Please look into this plusnet and assure me that I am not wasting my hard earned on this pro addon Cry
4 REPLIES 4
scootie
Grafter

Re: Pro add on....grrrr

the congestion could be exchange related, ie on BT's side before getting to the PN gateway your connected to.
amongst other p2p activities
your traffic is no lower than 0x80 gold with pro add on so no matter how much p2p is used that will not effect your data packets on PN network, tho if the streaming football is classed right at 0x80 that could be a issue but if your console gamer then i can say with like 99.9% certainty that your gaming packets will be titanium 0xa0 and a cut above the ox80 gold streaming queue
oioi

Hi asbo  :),that may be the case,but that is why I asked the question.What is the point of the pro add on for gaming if we are ultimately at the mercy of BT?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

oioi i also tried the pro for gaming  Sad i found no difference at all , so i cancled it  Cool
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: oioi
Hi asbo  :),that may be the case,but that is why I asked the question.What is the point of the pro add on for gaming if we are ultimately at the mercy of BT?

with 21cn i belive BT can now prioritization packets or set a minimum bandwidth on a session but so far i dont think any isp's have been able to use this function yet, i think when i trailed adsl2 i had latency problems which at start they believed to be exchange congestion as dave was on same exchange as me and was seeing it to and james put me on a elevated weight profile ( a bt thing simlar to adsl's max prem) didnt solve the issue as it ended up being a config issue with the gateway pipe from bt and only happened at times when traffic management was relaxed)
if i was a pn customer still i would defo be making use of pro add on, to insure no gaming packets was in the bronze or gold plated queue's.
Have you set a thinkbroadband ping monitor up to get a 24/7 look at when the problems happen? and best of all when it happens if you use the likes of ping plotter, a cmd pathping or mtr that will give an idea of if the problem is before the PN gateways or after
could be worse you could be stuck with vm cable like me and suffer high latency at any moment in the day 

and a fellow user in my area using channel 2 on the upstream, thank god i learned how to force a upstream channel change on the superdud, have all 3 upstream channels monitored on thinkboardband to make sure am on the best of the worse