Did you mean: 

Plusnet Hub 2 connection

FIXED
MJJ1
Hooked
Fixes: 1

Plusnet Hub 2 connection

Hi,

I have a few very basic questions so please forgive me if they sound a bit daft!

I currently have Plusnet standard broadband using the Hub Zero router. The router is connected via a filter to an extension socket in my study wall and the wiring runs under the floorboards into my kitchen where it is connected to the master socket. It's either plugged or wired directly into the socket.  (I cannot say for certain how it's connected because, incredibly, the master socket sits on the floor underneath the fitted kitchen units.  I can see it but cannot identify the cables because it's not manoeuvrable.  There's the main cable coming in through the external wall, one cable plugged into the single-socket faceplate and two cables wired into the box somehow.) 

I'm thinking of upgrading to fibre (not full fibre) and have some questions.

1.  The advice for the Plusnet Hub 2 is to plug it directly into the master socket.  This simply isn't an option for me.  I assume this advice is for optimal speed rather than an essential requirement but am I right in thinking that the Hub 2 can safely be connected in the same way that I have the Hub Zero?

2. Will it still be fine to connect the filter into the extension socket rather than the master socket?

3. Plusnet's Fibre service now comes with no landline option and this service will be discontinued. Presumably this won't make any difference to the transmission of broadband signal through my existing wiring and it will still travel through my extension cable.  I'm probably being silly in imagining otherwise but would be grateful if someone could put my mind at rest before I commit.

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: Plusnet Hub 2 connection

I assume this advice is for optimal speed rather than an essential requirement

Correct.

Will it still be fine to connect the filter into the extension socket rather than the master socket?

Yes

Presumably this won't make any difference to the transmission of broadband signal through my existing wiring and it will still travel through my extension cable.

Again correct.

Providing your extension cable is good quality ( ideally CW1308 ) and only has 2 wires connected ( pins 2 & 5 ) then you shouldnt get much speed degradation. However, if you do have speed problems then the standard testing procedure will request that you connect the router directly to the master socket... 

I can see it but cannot identify the cables because it's not manoeuvrable.  There's the main cable coming in through the external wall, one cable plugged into the single-socket faceplate and two cables wired into the box somehow.) 

Do you have any other telephone sockets in the property ? if so, they may have a detrimental effect on speed.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MJJ1
Hooked

Thanks for the reassurance Mr W.  I can't comment on the quality or connection of the cable - I'd have to do some exploration!  I usually get about 16mB/s download speeds on my non-fibre broadband so I've no complaints on that score.  There are other phone sockets in the property but only one is in use (in addition to the router socket).

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

There are other phone sockets in the property but only one is in use (in addition to the router socket).

if you do decide to go to Fibre , then I'd suggest looking at disconnecting those at the master socket. They will be useless anyway, but can act as as aerial and pick up electrical interference which will have more of an effect at the higher frequencies used for VDSL.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MJJ1
Hooked

Thanks for the advice.  Unfortunately disconnection wouldn't be possible because I cannot get at the master socket.  It's sitting on the floor under the kitchen units by the wall.  I can grab hold of it at arm's length but the cables that are wired into it have no 'play' so I cannot determine what is what.  I cannot even remove the cable that is plugged into the socket on the face plate - it seems to be firmly wedged in for some reason! 

I suppose one option would be to cut the phone extension cables as near to the master as I can get.  Would that help, even if I couldn't actually disconnect them?  Or would that give rise to other issues? 

It beggars belief that anyone thought that the best place to route a phone line into a house would be through the kitchen wall behind the sink!!!

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Given the difficulties, I'd suggest seeing how it goes ...

MJJ1
Hooked

Fix

Yes, I think that's the most sensible approach!  Thanks again for your help and advice.