Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone or BB fault

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Phone or BB fault

Great... Looks like the dlm has upped the target margin on the downstrram to 9db, and it looks very much like the upstream has been capped, margin around 24db, and sync stuck at 440. Knew this was bound to happen eventually Embarrassed  TBH, its a better thing at the mo, rather than dropping connection. Chris do you know if dlm did this at about 3 this aft, as this is when resync occured, but line stable. Will add to the ticket with engineer times. Lime furrently quiet as a mouse Undecided
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

There has been no change this afternoon on the DLM, I have replied to your ticket with available times, just pop me a reply on there and I'll confirm it with you.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Penfold, just added a comment to your ticket with further appointment times - if you could let us know as soon as possible when you're available we'll get this booked in for you.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Matt/Chris
I am a little concerned now.  Line has been completely stable, and there is no noise on  the line whenever I check.  Dont want to be wasting anyones time here, but will the BT chap have more in depth diagnostics, that may find an issue, that is currently not manifesting itself.  its been dry here for the past 4 days, indeed, yesterday it was 25degrees here, which I think is having some effect in the lines stability.   As an aside, with the stats as they are
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 7235 kbps 440 kbps
Line Attenuation 46.5 db 23.8 db
Noise Margin 8.0 db 16.7 db
What has been banded?  I assume the upload has been capped with interleaving applied as well.
you can see my point, if you feel a BT engineer vist would not be helpful in the current circumstances, please let me know, and I can rearrange if the weather starts to deteriorate again.
Uptime is currently just over 25hrs.

Edit, forget that, I have just been outside, and its raining (god I wish the weather would make up its mind....)  Checked the phone, and there is a mild degree of cracking on the line, but sync remains stable.  Margin on the upstream is all over the place now, ranging from 7dB to 21dB.  Downstream margin sat steadily at 8dB.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

That does sound like it's weather related and water's getting into the joints somewhere along the line. Probably best to get the engineer out as that's the only way it'll get fixed, I think as long as we put details regarding the weather we should be alright.
Happy to wait for you to do a bit more checking/testing if you'd rather be sure though, please let us know.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Matt.  YEah I agree, this has to be an HR fault at a joint somewhere.  1/2hr after my earlier post router reported a sync drop. I presume it was raining alot where I lived at that point as we had gone out, and it was raining quite badly where we where.
All stable again, as rain has stopped and weather brightened up. upstream sync now very stable.
Can I ask, for when we get things sorted out....
1.. What is the banding on the line, is it upstream or downstream or both, and whats it set to
2..  Is interleaving now on the upstream?
3.. Is the upstream now capped.
Reason for asking is, when we get back to normal, i think it would be good practice to leave interleaving on upstream permanently, 888kbps, is good enough.
Cheers
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good to see you've got the engineer booked, this will resolve it for you.
Your downstream and upstream is currently un-banded so your line should have the ability to reach its optimum speed, but obviously having this fault it is hampering that.
Interleaving is currently turned on, so is applicable to your downstream and upstream. Your upstream is uncapped.
Once the fault has been resolved then we can look at what is best profiles for your line to get the best performance out of it.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks. I was asking as one of my ticket responses mentioned the line had been banded, and upload capped. With regards to intetleaving, jojo turned it off for upstream a few months back, which is why i asked.if it was back on... Line is deteriorating again, its very wet and windy around here. Hope engineer finds something, god knows what we will do if he dosnt. As an aside, is it an adsl engineer or a pots engineer that has been booked?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It's a POTS engineer that has been booked. Hopefully the engineer will solve this and then you'll be back to your normal connection, I'll check on your account once the engineer has been to see how it's gone, by all means feel free to give me an update after the engineer has been and I'll have a check over your connection.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for that chris.
Lets see how the engineer vist goes...  hope its raining Wink ;),  probably be blue sky, sunny day
Just stopped raining now, line sounds like an untuned radio Angry
Cheers
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I note the change in comment  Wink
Quote from: chrispurvey

which has gone to
............. Hopefully the engineer will solve this and then you'll be back to your normal connection

Grin
penfold
Aspiring Pro

which has gone to
............. Hopefully the engineer will solve this and then you'll be back to your normal connection

Grin
Yeah.  To be absolutely honest, i am not hopeful of a speedy resolution.  Last fault I had took 8 engineer vists, and it was rather like this one.  They cleaned up joints, virtually replaced all the cable inside house and the drop wire to the pole, which is outside next doors house. All ended up being a line card issue....  There is not much D side to check to be honest, i am only 400-500 feet from the Cab. Roll on fibre, although the blackburn exchange is never mentioned Angry Angry
Lets be optimistic eh!!!!
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Smiley I would love to say it will be resolved by this engineer and I genuinely hope it is, but as your aware this is not always the case. If it can be done by the engineer then is will be.
Unfortunately no mention of fibre yet, just have to keep checking up on it to see when it's coming to town.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Update.....
Engineer came out this morning, decent friendly chap, who was quite knowledgable.  Put his equipment onto my line, and after some checking said he had found a 'spike' 108m from the property. he also gave me some interesting info regards my line.  The cable bunch from my house pole is a bundle of 20 copper pairs, which then connects to a 100 pair bundle of aluminium at the end of the estate, that goes direct to the Cab!!  I had no idea my line had any aluminium in it at all. Anyhow, this is the only joint my 'D' side has until it gets to the cabinet.  The 108m corresponded to the joint, which although he said looked fine, he remade it anyway.  Did pair quality tests from the Cab, and from my house which all checked out fine. There was no more he could do, and the line was very quiet.  Had to go out, so didnt get chance to reconnect up the router.  When I did later in the day, First sync, I had dreadful upstream syncs (308kbps at a margin of 6dB!!). Checked the line and there was a bit of noise Angry Angry Angry    Rebooted router and got the following syncs
Down  6898  Mgn 9dB
Up        440  Mgn 25dB
no appreciable noise on the line now, just sounds a bit like when you put a seashell to your ear.  Wonder if this was just a glitch with the first resync.......
Everything back to how it was, with a filtered faceplate back on etc.
I think we should leave things alone for the next few days, see what happens, but if its still the same, i have no idea what it could be. AFAIK, the engineer didnt check the 'E' side.
Chris, you said the upstream was uncapped, yet I thought a sync of 440 or 448 on ADSL2+ was indicative of a capped upstream....
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Your line certainly looks like it is more stable. It is going to be best to monitor your connection, it may be that we need to SNR reset your line, but let's see how your line is over the next day.
I will also update your fault ticket, just so our faults team will be aware of the current state of your line.
Your line is currently showing as your upstream being uncapped although your speeds are not showing that. That shouldn't be a problem to resolve, but just want to check that your line is OK first.