cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone Line issue. Not sure what's causing the issue that appeared a few days ago.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Phone Line issue. Not sure what's causing the issue that appeared a few days ago.

And you'd probably be off on another wild goose chase Townman. Just look at the time of the posts where there appears to be some change in SNRM - after dark. On the face of this it appears to be nothing more than the normal longer ADSL line susceptibility to MW/AM propagation.

@ExtremeZero The log entries you have posted there are PPP entries, your session to Plusnet, not your connection to the exchange. That time of the morning is not unusual for PPP disconnects due to work on the "Network" which could be the BT Backhaul - that could be anywhere between your exchange and the Plusnet Gateway or on Plusnet's network.
It's also quite possible this might be due to the current work at the exchange which may well be done during the night, but external work on the Cab for example would only be done in normal daylight hours, the latter being the times when line disconnects might be more likely to occur.

I did mention mention about doing "graceful" disconnects in daylight hours because noise levels are generally lower and you may get better sync speeds on a 20CN line in particular.
It may just be coincidence that when you did the disconnect you got the same sync speed as previously but also looking at the SNRM (which in any event can change rapidly after dark) I thought it worth just checking, does the ASUS have the ability to tweak the SNRM and are you doing so? If not, ignore that totally.

Posting some daytime stats (upto a good hour before sunset) could be informative.
In any event, it quite possible that any achieved higher sync speed than at present will not gain you anything on a 20CN connection (except more errors after dark) as it will not be sufficient to increase your IP profile due to the particular length of your line.

ExtremeZero
Grafter

Re: Phone Line issue. Not sure what's causing the issue that appeared a few days ago.

@Townman Routerstats dosen't seem to be working well with the Asus router as it's literally displaying the Snyc Speed at 0. I have used Routerstats with the TG before I made the topic but it preety much comfirmed what we already know.

@@Anotherone I did another one at around 1:00PM and again there dosen't seem to be any noticeable difference.

Modulation : G.Dmt
Annex Mode : Annex A/L
Line State : up
Lan Tx : 53474
Lan Rx : 31554
ADSL Tx : 30099
ADSL Rx : 49668
CRC Down : 0
CRC Up : 17
FEC Down : 0
FEC Up : 24924
HEC Down : 8
HEC Up : 0
SNR Up : 22.0
SNR Down : 3.0
Line Attenuation Up : 16.5
Line Attenuation Down : 37.5
Data Rate Up : 448
Data Rate Down : 7456

The ASUS does indeed have the ablity to tweak the SNR though I haven't really used it so far. The options go from 5dB to -10dB.

Anotherone
Champion

Hmm. So the uptime for those stats would be about 2hrs?
Can you check out those settings and see if it's asking for a 3dB Target SNRM?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@Anotherone wrote:
And you'd probably be off on another wild goose chase Townman. Just look at the time of the posts where there appears to be some change in SNRM - after dark. On the face of this it appears to be nothing more than the normal longer ADSL line susceptibility to MW/AM propagation.
Hmm. So the uptime for those stats would be about 2hrs?
Can you check out those settings and see if it's asking for a 3dB Target SNRM?

"Another wild goose chase?"  I rather think it would be a matter of collecting systematic data than a goose chase.

I do not think anything is very clear here.  The evening stats reported 4dB and I would agree that figure (if the target SNRM is 6dB) might well be down to MW/AM interference of -2dB.

If that is the case how do we explain the reported 3.5dB immediately after the morning resynch?

The target changed to 3dB?  In which case there's a +0.5dB variation within a couple of minutes (would be interesting to know the SNRM resolution of this router).

The target remained at 6dB and there was then an increase in noise making a -2.5dB difference?  That rather suggests the possibility of a lot of noise being generated by something near by starting early in the morning.  The best way to profile (or refute) that is by systematically recording the SNRM - anything else is guess work - aka a wild goose chase! Wink

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

It is fairly obvious that there is something odd going on here, but I'm not immediately jumping on the REIN bandwagon without trying to look at some of the fundamental things first, just because you mistook 4 minutes for a PPP session to be established as being time to establish sync.

I don't think that you are the one to lecture me about doing things systematically - I seem to recall all that time I was helping you trying to systematically work through all the possible sources of REIN when you were publican at TunnelTop and you wouldn't accept what I was saying - until your stumbled across it more or less inadvertently!

This is a 20CN connection, the fact that 3 now (if I'm counting correctly) resyncs with this ASUS modem/router has produced exactly the same sync speed (twice when I made my earlier post) leads me to wonder if there is something not being reported correctly rather that jumping on a REIN bandwagon!

We need to get the settings on this ASUS checked out first, and not just a Target SNRM setting. That suggestion was just a one off.

Anotherone
Champion

@ExtremeZero The time of the PPP log entries in Message 14 is obvious, but I'd rather assumed that the stats that you posted there were around the time of your post, which of course might be wrong Embarrassed Could you confirm the approximate times for those stats please?

Edit: just to add Townman and myself are having a private chat about your connection as we are approaching this from different angles, and don't want to appear to be arguing different things so we can come up with some more constructive ideas.

ExtremeZero
Grafter

On Message 14, the first row of ADSL stats were straight after the PPP reconnected and the second row of stats was the graceful resync which I did at night around 10-11PM. The new graceful resync I did at Message 17 was at 1PM.

You mentioned that something might not be reported correctly by the ASUS router and you need details on the settings in general. Can you give me a idea as to which details would be needed?

Also I don't mind the outer chat. While the bandwidth seems to be fine at the moment now, I do need to know if the noise will affect the performance of the new FTTC being installed compared to 20CN ADSL. I should also play a few online games to see if the latency spikes if the noise margin also increases/decreases because that too would be an another headache.

@@Townman I did manage to get the Noise Margin graph working on Routerstats however the Snyc Speed graph is a no-go. Though I suppose the Noise is far more important to record. I'll keep an eye out on it to see if anything spikes during a full day.

Anotherone
Champion

I think this "noise" is only likely to be a temporary thing. We're still chatting about what might be the next best move. RouterStats SNRM graphs would always be good if it's working.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Nice results on the RS graphing.

What is the resolution (sample interval) you have set?  Ideally it needs to be 10 seconds.  We'd normally recommend setting the graphs to 720 data points (two hours each).

I'm particularly interested in seeing what happens 06:00-06:30 - the typical time or the line drops.

@Anotherone continue to confer...! Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Out of curiosity can you run the BTw Speedtest Diagnostic to get the IP Profile (just enter your phone number), I'm curious to see what it currently is - as you probably know 20CN is not reknowned for speedy updates.

Anotherone
Champion

Thanks for confirming the times of the Stats that helps a lot. Whenever you post further ones (always useful) if you can post the applicable uptime with them as well as the time they were taken if different from the post then we won't get our you know whats in a twist.

Regarding the ASUS settings, apart from double checking it's not asking for anything other than the default Target SNRM, can you check it's set for PPPoA, and VPI/VCI 0/38 and VC-MUX. If not, tell is what it's set for before making any changes. Do you have any custom LAN settings or is it all default settings? - don't need the detail though.

ExtremeZero
Grafter

PPPoA, VPI/VCI 0/38 and VC-MUX are the correct settings. IP profile is at 6.5Mbps

So the ASUS has the Data Rate Downstream as 7456 Kbps which would mean 7.46Mbps while the Speedtest and Steam appear to be stating that the bandwidth is around 6.0 - 6.3Mbps. It's possible that it's just the router being a little inaccurate with it's own stats.

Anotherone
Champion

That's all correct I'm afraid. On 20CN sync speeds 7392-7936 give a 6.5Mbps profile. So just above 7392 is ideal. Edit: even on 21CN that would still only give a 6.57 profile for 7456 sync. 

I don't suppose you managed to capture an SNRM graph before dusk? 

Edit2: sorry on a 7" tablet at present so typing a bit slow! We have considered the possibility it may be mis-reporting the actual SNRM value but it should track changes OK and  the variation how/when is more significant in the first instance. 

ExtremeZero
Grafter

Sorry I didn't manage to capture an SNRM Graph and I did something to screw up Routerstats so I had to redo it all again. I will try it tommorow.

Anotherone
Champion

OK no problem. Out of curiosity what are the ASUS bit loading graphs looking like at present?