cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time speed problem - purleigh

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Peak time speed problem - purleigh

While that might be a perfectly good explanation for what's happening tonight,  I've been having this exact same problem for FOUR MONTHS.
The trouble is that there is ALWAYS yet another excuse for almost every week that goes by,  and when there isn't I'm told it must be my line - for which I've yet to see any evidence.
Plusnet clearly don't have sufficient network resilience with enough network paths to prevent these problems happening on a near daily basis.
They might have enough theoretical trunk capacity for their current network loading projections, but why are these gateways running constantly at near full capacity when any competent network designer would aim for 50% equipment utilization under maximum user traffic throughput.
I still have had no explanation why my line latency two months ago was 17 to 19ms, but suddenly it went to 31 to 34ms. Do they not know ?
In fact,  come to think about it,  they have never had any idea what my line is doing, or how my exchange is really performing, when shouted at they have to manually look to be able to tell when points on the network are overloading and then manually make adjustment.  Why the hell aren't there alarms going off every time each piece of networking kit exceeds say 80% saturation, so more resources can be bought online to cope.
It seems ludicrous that some people on this forum complain of a peak time slowdown from 77Mbps to 65Mbps, when tonight I've seen less than 1Mbps for long periods of time which will then go back to normal (7.15Mbps) at midnight.  If the system out of balance, why are the biggest percentages of speed loss affecting the slowest connections most, rather than bringing the speed ceiling down for all users ? i.e. how can the network still be feeding ADSL2 and FTTC connections with much more data than 8Mbps but at the same time my "up to" 8Mbps line is utterly strangled to the point of being unusable ?
It is infuriating that for the past four months when these issues have been going on, that Plusnet don't have their best engineers working weekends and evenings to bloody well sort it out.  Working super long hours to sort out the consequences of your own designs shortcomings certainly focuses the mind on getting it right,  it was always a requirement for engineering staff in all the telecoms companies I've work for in the past !
Crazy
matt_2k34
Grafter

While that might be a perfectly good explanation for what's happening tonight,  I've been having this exact same problem for FOUR MONTHS.

Was merely stating a fact that tonights events will make everything kind of pointless. Your first image in your previous post started at 8:57... Some 5+ minutes after I lost all connection in that outage.

I still have had no explanation why my line latency two months ago was 17 to 19ms, but suddenly it went to 31 to 34ms. Do they not know ?

I'd expect interleaving depth has changed, so to get more stability you've sacrificed some ping time. 30-40ms is pretty standard for an interleaved line.
I highly doubt the issues you were receiving before were completely down to capacity issues at PN's end, I'd imagine that capacity issues were just exacerbating the issue
It is infuriating that for the past four months when these issues have been going on, that Plusnet don't have their best engineers working weekends and evenings to bloody well sort it out

What do you expect them to be able to do when they do not own, nor run the network that provides you service - they're just another customer - the middle man to BTw.
Why the hell aren't there alarms going off every time each piece of networking kit exceeds say 80% saturation, so more resources can be bought online to cope.

BT actually do have this sort of equipment, I was looking at how capacity could be redirected whilst in Birmingham Telephone exchange about 5 years ago. Was rather interesting to see. Problem is, they look at their network as a whole - the network covers more than just mainland too with peering links abroad and satellite links to the north sea etc. One exchange is tiny in comparison to this network ... Problem is BT cant just light extra capacity magically it costs money and takes time....
They might have enough theoretical trunk capacity for their current network loading projections, but why are these gateways running constantly at near full capacity when any competent network designer would aim for 50% equipment utilization under maximum user traffic throughput.

Errrr- Why would you do that? having more equipment has a higher initial outlay cost, and costs you more to run. Resiliency is pointless. You dont need to be an amazing provider - just better than the rest of them on the market. Thats how they keep it cheap to consumers, im quite happy with my service and the price I pay for it. Would I pay £10+ more to be with PN if they had their network running at 40-50% capacity..... Probably not.

Interesting to see what PN can do with your line.....
My 2p -
Regards
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was merely stating a fact that tonights events will make everything kind of pointless

I was merely stating the fact that there is always yet another excuse, which makes complaining to get the service I pay for seem pointless !.

I'd expect interleaving depth has changed, so to get more stability you've sacrificed some ping time. 30-40ms is pretty standard for an interleaved line.

My line is still on FastPath, and clocking only one or two CRC errors per day at maximum 8128Kbps sync rate.

What do you expect them to be able to do when they do not own, nor run the network that provides you service

Seeing as Plusnet have an official service announcement regarding tonights outage,  there hasn't been a single member of staff on this forum ALL evening to assess the impact of the problems caused, and initiate relevant actions to bring their network back into balance - even if that involves systematically dropping all customers network connections (which will automatically resume after a few seconds), rather than leave a broken network limping along for an entire weekend, until they return to work on Monday morning.

the network covers more than just mainland too with peering links abroad and satellite links to the north sea etc

Yeah I know !,  I was involved in the design and implementation of many of those systems, the network hardware electronics, and embedded software, since the early '80s.  Everything we designed had less than 50% occupancy, there were always redundant standby equipment chains that instantly switched in on any failure,  the equipment all had a MTTR (Mean Time To Repair) measured in minutes, and traffic availability was guaranteed to be better than about six minutes downtime per year.  So where is the problem with the rest of the network ?

Resiliency is pointless

No it's not !.  Over specifying a network that incorporates a healthy margin of capacity, and resiliency by providing backup equipment,  you are putting less strain on all of a companies systems.  Sure it looks like it cost more to the accountants, because it is a physical asset,  but networking kit is cheap compared to the yearly salaries of skilled staff.  When a network is run at the absolute limits and is always one failure away from collapse,  the expenditure required to emergency repair vital equipment that is causing lost revenue is enormous.  It also costs extra in paying overtime pay rates for not only the engineering staff,  but also call centre support staff,  all the additional time working through all the additional online tickets raised,  and the incalculable cost of loss of customers confidence and future revenues.
Having redundant standby equipment, also allows you to perform planned periodic maintenance on every piece of kit without ANY reduction in service.  Because it IS PLANNED, costs can be reduced considerably because the staff resources required for maintenance are less, and the contingency for the consequences of problems and failures are also alleviated.  I could go on and on about standby telecoms equipment, but I doubt you are interested and I can't be bothered at this late hour.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I nearly forgot,  It's after midnight and everything is wonderful again !  Roll_eyes
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

The modem might well be reporting as fast path but that doesn't mean interleaving is off. The interleaving depth on the download may well have gone up, is there a way to check this with your modem?
That's RPM to you!!
Anonymous
Not applicable

My currently connected gateway, a Netgear DG834GT with DGTeam firmware says -
ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8128 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: G.DMT
Channel: Fast
Trellis: ON
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 11.9 23.0
Attn(dB): 9.0 5.0
Pwr(dBm): 13.8 11.9
Max(Kbps): 9536 1136
Rate (Kbps): 8128 448
G.dmt framing
K: 255(0) 15
R: 0 0
S: 1 1
D: 1 1

That last line "D:" shows an interleave depth of 1.

Some line stats from the Draytek Vigor 2710 gateway I was using until about two weeks ago said -
> adsl status
  --------------------------- ATU-R Info (hw: annex A, f/w: annex A) -----------
  Running Mode            :    G.DMT      State                : SHOWTIME
  DS Actual Rate          :  8128000 bps  US Actual Rate      :  448000 bps
  DS Attainable Rate      :  8128000 bps  US Attainable Rate  :  1328000 bps
  DS Path Mode            :        Fast    US Path Mode        :        Fast
  DS Interleave Depth    :        1      US Interleave Depth  :        1
  NE Current Attenuation  :        8 dB    Cur SNR Margin      :      14  dB
  DS actual PSD          :    15. 9 dB    US actual PSD        :    12. 3  dB
  ADSL Firmware Version  : 232201_A
  -------------------------------- ATU-C Info ---------------------------------
  Far Current Attenuation :        4 dB    Far SNR Margin      :      30  dB
  CO ITU Version[0]      : 00005453      CO ITU Version[1]    : 00005443
  DSLAM CHIPSET VENDOR    : < TI >

As far as I remember, the interleave depth has always been '1', on every ADSL gateway I've used.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

@purleigh
Does the speedtest.net result at 11:55pm (before midnight) differ significantly from that at 12:05am (after midnight)?
Potentially the post-midnight one could be slowed down by start-up of unmetered downloading. However I wouldn't expect it to be the other way round (at least to the extent you've seen).
David
Anonymous
Not applicable

As a generalized ballpark observations -
My connection will usually speed test all day, all evening, and all night, at pretty much the same numbers.
Under normal operating conditions, measured speeds are equal or greater than 6.95Mbps (97% of profile).
If the wider internet is being heavily used, but is otherwise normal, then this drops to 6.85Mbps (95% of profile)
If Plusnet have a network balance issue, this typically drops to 6.65Mbps (92% of profile)
If Plusnet have a network problem (like a gateway down), then 5.5Mbps (77% of profile) is a figure often observed.
When my line shows the evening peak time slowdown problem, then long periods of 1.5Mbps to 3.0Mbps are not unusual.

Therefore -
Does the speedtest.net result at 11:55pm (before midnight) differ significantly from that at 12:05am (after midnight)?

No they are usually within less than 2% of each other, although the ten minutes before midnight is likely to be a couple of tens of Kbps higher.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Thanks for that summary of speedtest results, as you say the problem (whatever it is) does appear to be a 'line' problem - 'line' being anywhere from your premises through the Plusnet gateway onto the Internet.
Regarding higher pings, are you aware whether or not Trellis was On (see <<<<< mark-up) when you previously had the lower values?
Quote from: purleigh
My currently connected gateway, a Netgear DG834GT with DGTeam firmware says -
ADSL driver and PHY status
Channel: FAST, Upstream rate = 448 Kbps, Downstream rate = 8128 Kbps
Link Power State: L0
Mode: G.DMT
Channel: Fast
Trellis: ON      <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Line Status: No Defect
Training Status: Showtime
Down Up
SNR (dB): 11.9 23.0
Attn(dB): 9.0 5.0
Pwr(dBm): 13.8 11.9
Max(Kbps): 9536 1136
Rate (Kbps): 8128 448
David
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=spraxyt]are you aware whether or not Trellis was On (see <<<<< mark-up) when you previously had the lower values?
Unfortunately, the step change in latency occurred while my Draytek Vigor 2710 gateway had been in continuous use for about eight or nine months, and the ADSL stats for that don't show the detail of whether trellis was active or not.
The trellis status you have highlighted is from my currently connected Netgear DG834GT gateway with DGTeam firmware.
When my 10 day line retraining period has completed (should have been three hours ago ?), then I could experiment with using the router firmware to override the trellis setting to see whether that has any affect on latency.  I have my doubts whether it will make any difference, as all the other stats are as near perfect as could possibly be expected, but it will be interesting to find out ! - although my eventual aim is to move back to the Draytek gateway for ongoing use after the peak time problem has been resolved, and that doesn't have a trellis override option, so the experiment will be of limited practical use.

[Edit :]  I have since found the following information regarding trellis coding -
Digital Subscriber Line (DSL) Transmission Methods
The trellis code, specified in the ANSI DS1.413-1995 standard, is used as the inner code in the concatenated coding scheme of ADSL systems, with the Reed-Solomon code serving as the outer code. The trellis code operates on the data spread on the various subcarriers, and thus does not add extra latency. The trellis code improves the noise margin measured for stationary added noise (such as white noise and typical NEXT and FEXT noise) without requiring additional bandwidth.

and
Anonymous
Not applicable

[quote=spraxyt]the problem (whatever it is) does appear to be a 'line' problem - 'line' being anywhere from your premises through the Plusnet gateway onto the Internet
From the way the peak time slowdown problems have manifested themselves,
I still think MY peak time speed issue is related to this - http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,111170.msg962234.html#msg962234
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

And I note that I never got an answer to my reply that followed that either!
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you re-read that entire thread, there are a noticeably high incidence of tactical answer avoidance by staff !   Roll_eyes
Anonymous
Not applicable

As last Saturday - no peak time speed drop tonight, very consistent speeds all evening, even if very slightly slower than normal.
You are currently connected to gateway pcl-ag08

Anonymous
Not applicable

Tonight's final test, as usual just around midnight, speed is nearly at full line profile.