Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Peak time latency spikes

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Peak time latency spikes

Purleigh: Ok.  Don't reconnect tonight if you can avoid it.  Need to check something tomorrow.
Gus: Still seeing the problem?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem,  I won't gateway hop, and the router always has a rock solid connection - except in thunderstorms and long power cuts !
Can anything be done to uncap my upstream sync ? - or is that only for 21CN ?
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@kelly after a gateway hop yes, I was on pcl-ag06 tried 07/08 which were just as bad, currently on  pcl-ag01 which seems better
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kelly - I'm still on 'ptn-ag01', so what's happening ? have you done your checks ?
Kelly
Hero

Yep.  Working on it.
Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

Purleigh: Ok, here is what's going on with your line.  As our 20CN base migrates over to 21CN we have to lower the amount of IPSC traffic we buy from wholesale.  At the minute we are doing below that forecast, but the smaller base numbers are becoming more difficult to get balanced across the platform.  Basically the end point you were on last night was dropping traffic because it was hitting a limit set on it.  It looks like this was directly causing your slow speeds.  (Some of the other 20CN customer had loads of spare capacity 😕 )
We've adjusted our forecast to give us more space to account for the difficulty in keeping the 20CN customers balanced appropriately.
Let me know how performance is tonight.
Everyone else:  This is 100% not happening on WBC/21CN traffic.  The other issues are unrelated.
Kelly Dorset
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hmm, I had better keep an eye on mine then  Wink
@Kelly, is the "end point" Gateway related. If so, a hop might help if there's issues?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kelly -
While that sounds like an interesting theory, if there was insufficient capacity then both speed and latency would be impacted.
Have another look at all my posts in this thread last night, you can see that -
1)  My SPEED was NOT reduced - unless you consider a worst case 6.91Mbps out of 7.15Mbps profile maximum to be a problem.
2)  From the TBB Ping graph I wasn't losing ANY packets.
3)  The ONLY measurable statistic that explains the sluggish performance were the PING times to UK servers.
4)  Why were ping tests to foreign servers at normal figures, but doing pings to UK servers were awful ?.

I don't dispute that the endpoint I was connected to might have been hitting a limit, but I don't think my posted figures show that.
Can you explain each of the four bullet points above as to how they fit your theory ?
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: Anotherone
Hmm, I had better keep an eye on mine then  Wink
@Kelly, is the "end point" Gateway related. If so, a hop might help if there's issues?

Kinda yes.  The end point Purleigh was connected to was suffering, and there is only one end point per gateway for IPSC.  On WBMC there are 1-4 end points per gateway.
Kelly Dorset
Kelly
Hero

Quote from: purleigh
Have another look at all my posts in this thread last night, you can see that -
1)  My SPEED was NOT reduced - unless you consider a worst case 6.91Mbps out of 7.15Mbps profile maximum to be a problem.

It could be that the buffer and packet drops overall are not enough to drag your speed down.   I think you'd see more of an impact on much fast line.
2)  From the TBB Ping graph I wasn't losing ANY packets.

Before packets are dropped, they buffer.  This will have introduced latency in things like ping tests / traceroutes.   There was only a comparatively amount of packet drops (the most we saw was 0.27% of gold traffic, within a measurement period, through that device!) but the buffering impact would have been more substantial.   You can see on your TBB graph a significant increase in latency at peak.
3)  The ONLY measurable statistic that explains the sluggish performance were the PING times to UK servers.
4)  Why were ping tests to foreign servers at normal figures, but doing pings to UK servers were awful ?.

That could suggest an upstream peering problem. I.e. a congested link upstream of us.
I don't dispute that the endpoint I was connected to might have been hitting a limit, but I don't think my posted figures show that.

I guess you are right, this doesn't necessary mean that your performance will be better tomorrow, but at least we can eliminate the capacity issue you ran into.  We still appear to have something odd going on with the other guys on this thread and once we clear this, perhaps you'll fall into the same category.  I hope not!
Fixed a couple of typos
Kelly Dorset
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the comprehensive reply - I can't argue with your points as I don't know the details of the buffering process which I hadn't previously appreciated existed,  although however the buffers are implemented I would still expect speed drops and packet losses as no buffer could continuously maintain traffic through a rate limited endpoint that had sustained overloading for at least three hours !.
I guess we will have to see if I get a repeat over the coming evenings !
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

Third night in a row speed is appalling .
Kelly
Hero

Same again yeah?  What exchange are you on?
Kelly Dorset
alegeek
Grafter

Likewise, it was perfect until around 6:30..
on Gateway ptn-ag01, switched to my backup connection as it's so slow.
Egremont exchange..
jamesanstee
Aspiring Pro

Im on Exchange WORLE is served by Cabinet 7 (Exchange code: SSWOR )
You are currently connected to the gateway known as pcl-ag01.