cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Painful download speeds - suspect BT - any BT gurus out there?

zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Painful download speeds - suspect BT - any BT gurus out there?

@bikespace - it's often worth requesting a "trial" of Max Premium from one of the comms team to see if it does help clear up the issue.
B.
cartman
Grafter

hi bikespace what a difference a few miles make I'm on the Chirk Exchange and seeing excellent speeds at anytime, I know this doesn't help you but just shows how poor BT are at managing there networks.
hope yours gets sorted soon

bikespace
Dabbler

Quote from: Barry
@bikespace - it's often worth requesting a "trial" of Max Premium from one of the comms team to see if it does help clear up the issue.
B.

Hmmmm...that's worth a try. I'll add it to the ticket. I feel like any questions I add to the ticket are ignored completely, but it's worth a try.
I've asked several questions - I'm not sure whether they fall on deaf ears or whether they're taking it in and it's just the responses on the ticket which don't give any feedback.
I don't like to slag plusnet off, they've done so much better than previous suppliers, just a little frustration with communication. It feels like I've got a tech guru working on the problem, but he doesn't like talking to people  Smiley
bikespace
Dabbler

Tech support have now changed their mind that changing me to another VP may help me out. The latest update says that if I have a problem on one VP I'll have a problem on all VP's. I've asked them how my neighbour who's network I set up could have 5-6Mbps throughput on the same exchange.
They have said I am at BT's mercy and will have to wait until BT sort out connectivity to the exchange.
I've decided that as the fix date has moved on every month, I can't wait forever, and as much as I hate to do it, I'm going to have to move to one of the LLU providers on my exchange - Talk Talk or Orange.
It feels like choosing lethal injection or electric chair, but I really need to be able to work from home and it ain't happening.
MAC code requested today - maybe see you in a year or two folks  Wink
Mand
Grafter

As discussed with you today there are still a couple of routes we can try to get this resolved for you.
We just need to check what the latest update from BT Wholesale is.
bikespace
Dabbler

Wooohooo - had a call just now, and she talka my lingo Smiley (apologies - forgot the name  Embarrassed ) but convinced me she knows what's going on, and pushing it through with BT so thanks for all the leaving presents everyone, but I'm back for now  Grin
Edit: Ah there you go - Mand - thanks very much for your help. Moved me from almost totally deflated to realistically hopeful Smiley
Mand
Grafter

No probs at all. I'm sure we can get it sorted for you one way or another. Smiley
bikespace
Dabbler

Doh - Mand turned her back for one minute and I've got a jobsworth back Smiley It's another U-turn - Take his keyboard off him Mand, give him a jaffa cake to play with.
Dear Mr Hinton,
Thanks for getting back in touch.
I can confirm though the line may be connected at high speeds its the performance of the connection that is the problem.
Unfortunately the capacity of the exis out of our control and we can only be patient whilst BT complete any upgrades required.
If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to get back in touch online.
bikespace
Dabbler

We're back on track - Just had a call - Mand you're a star!
BT work next week to upgrade and hopefully sort out 'hot' VP problem.
I owe you a jaffa cake  Smiley
Mand
Grafter

Oooh I like Jaffa Cakes Smiley
I'll call you next week to check whether the upgrade works.
bikespace
Dabbler

Hi Mand,
I'm guessing the work didn't go too well?
No updates on the exchange checker anyway, and still poor download and upload speeds.  Cry
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Oswestry&exact=741&plugin=vp&full=1
Can you make sure my account is reduced to the "El Cheapo" version before the 18th Feb please (my next billing date). I may as well save some money while it's still running dial up speeds.
LLU comes ever closer - but I'm being patient.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi bikespace,
We're contacting BT to try and get an update on what's happening there, I'll post back as soon as we know any more.
Daffy101
Dabbler

I have a similar problem my connection was rock solid and stable at about 6.5mbps then in december it fell to a constant 340-350kbpsanytime of day or night and complete test of my network in the house including trying 6-7 seperate pcs (both by wireless and wired) and 4 routers proved that the exterior connection was a problem but it seemed that i will have to spend £140+ plus for an engineer to visit to fix a problem that is outside my home. It now seems that my new ISP cannot finalise my broadband transfer as there is an unknown problem  Crazy
bikespace
Dabbler

Another 8 days passes. I'm guessing nothing happened to move me to the El Cheapo connection?
I feel LLU coming ever closer. BT really aren't going to come back are they  Cry the exchange has been in sh*t state for years:
http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/?exchange=Oswestry&exact=741&plugin=vp&full=1
Well I'm busy with work at the moment. As soon as I get chance to have another look at this, if there's no progress it will be back to the original plan and get my MAC code.
bikespace
Dabbler

Well, unfortunately I had to leave Plusnet. Not a Plusnet problem but the service that BT provide to the local exchange.I finally moved over to LLU with talktalk today, and now getting my 5Mb downstream after 6 months, firstly with Tiscali who were absolutely unable to understand and find a problem, then Plusnet who understood exactly what the problem was but were at the mercy of BT.
I have to say, no bitter taste in my mouth from Plusnet, I'd come back like a shot if BT sorted my exchange or even better you provide LLU locally. Even the leaving process was great, gave me free access for as long as I needed to migrate, just give them a call when I'm done and they'll cease the service.
I've already experienced the comedic talktalk customer service but I expect that and will have to put up with it for now.
Thanks Mand for your help, maybe back in 18 months  Wink