Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overnight outages.

FIXED
Minivanman
Legend
Fixes: 1

Overnight outages.

Not really a.big deal other than presumably, I'm paying Plusnet for a 24 service - but any ideas why of late my broadband keeps going off in the early hours?
It's a little annoying when unable to catch any sleep... I am unable to watch any catch up television!

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
8 REPLIES 8
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

Re: Overnight outages.

@Minivanman 

Is this ADSL, FTTC or FTTP?

Does it go off and immediately return (within 2 to 3 minutes) - ie resynchronising - or is it off for an extended period before returning?

How long have you been with Plusnet Broadband for? I think that for the first 10 days of a new service, it is training itself to find the maximum stable speed that it can maintain. It does this by resetting itself regularly, (daily?), and if the previous period was stable it will try a higher speed for the next period.

When it comes back, are your speeds up and down similar to when it went off? If they are significantly lower than previously then you could have a fault. Have you tried a Quiet Line test with a wired phone in the master socket?

Routers very occasionally reboot themselves to install a firmware update.

FWIW, my Hub says that it has been synced for 81 days.

Minivanman
Legend

Been back with them for nearly a year now and as far as I know it's FTTC.
It's usually off for around three hours post midnight from what I have noticed but if it keeps on I will have to get it sorted not only for the occasional 'can't sleep' TV but also because our security camera and our heating control are both on-line. As for speed, much more buffering during the day than there used to be.

Truth is like a threshing machine; tender sensibilities must keep out of the way.
Herman Melville
Mr_Paul
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 11

@Minivanman 

That seems far too long to be off for a resync.

When the broadband goes off, have you checked what colour the light on the hub is, and also plugging a wired phone in to the master socket to see if you still have dial tone?

I have heard that ISPs and Openreach sometimes take broadband down for maintenance for a few hours overnight, but I wouldn't expect that to be every single night?

My wife is regularly playing online games on her tablet at 2am, and has never experienced a very long outage like you are reporting.

Minivanman
Legend

Light goes orange and stays there. Not able to check for dial tone as like many households we no longer use a landline as it's much cheaper to use a mobile - which is just as well considering I'd say.
Guess I'll see if it sorts itself out before reporting it as a fault.

Herman Melville
ClaudiaG23
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 21

Fix

Hey @Minivanman, I've run tests on your line and I've found a fault. The suppliers are wanting to book an engineer to the property. Could you send me a private message with dates and times you're available for this, please? The appointments are Monday to Friday and with 2 different time slots, 8am until 1pm or between 1pm and 6pm. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Claudia Garner
 Plusnet Help Team
Minivanman
Legend

Done, many thanks Claudia. 👍

Herman Melville
Minivanman
Legend

All now sorted thanks to some very quick service from Plusnet.
Engineer called in first thing this morning and found we were running at only 2Mb but after replacing some corroded wires both outside the house at the FTTC box managed to get it back up to 40Mb.
So well done that man, and well done Plusnet.
Credit where credit is due eh 👍

Herman Melville
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Fantastic news @Minivanman 

Glad to hear it's sorted now

If you have any further issues let us know

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team