cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OK whats going on? Is Unlimited throttled every evening?

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: OK whats going on? Is Unlimited throttled every evening?

@james
£1m  Shocked Shocked Shocked
His throughput is still around 700, nothing to do with his profile  Roll_eyes as  I said earlier  Roll_eyes and see my post above.
Anotherone
Champion

Using servers in France isn't "pointless", it's comparative, but I agree it doesn't really serve much purpose in the current context.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

The speed result is the same, Pierre,  try it and see for yourself.... by using three different servers. Birmingham (recommended) Paris , and Maidenhead, they all give the same result as the Plusnet speed tester... As I have already pointed out... I also use the Plusnet speed tester so I know that I can compare the results...  As for the distances, I think you will find they are distances from the Plusnet server and not from my home... which will apply and even out the "discrepancies" that you consider inherent in using the speedtest.net tester.
The whole point is, that regardless of which speedtester you favour, the results when compared against each other, are not dramatically different, and therefore can be utilised as a measure.  Which is more accurate 4.5 ltrs or 1 gallon?  when you go to the garage you (probably) use 4.5 ltrs to compare the MPG rather than use the 4.5xxxxx to whatever point ....in your calculations. the result will be "almost" the same, and accurate enough to give you the information you desire.
the above table is for information purposes, for those who can use the information to improve the service .
Anotherone
Champion

Oh, gawd, we don't want any more car comparisons in this forum  Crazy  Cheesy  Grin
shutter
Community Veteran

Re:OK whats going on? IS UNLIMITED THROTTLED EVERY EVENING?

Quote from: Jameseh
Right,
Time for some clarification.  WEB IS NOT THROTTLED ON UNLIMITED.
Now we've got that clear let's look at some other things.  We  KNOW that we currently have some issues affecting throughput on our network currently.  These are being sorted as per the ~£1m extra capacity we've added in the last week.  We've also started doing some work (which we should have completed at some stage later on today.
Shutter - You're currently on a 1250Kbps profile which I suspect is the reason for your poor throughput.  What's the BT Speedtester giving?

Hi Jamesh
well, it certainly seems that way to me... Just look at the speeds obtained  (the same as My broadband speedtester)  between 18:00 and 22:00 and suddenly at 22:20 back up to 700 again.... on three nights running... I expect I shall see the same again tonight.... I never had this on 15gb limited before Novemebr 1st...
here is the BT speedtester result for yesterday and this morning....

which confirms my suspicion that unlimited is throttled.... I am not the only one who thinks this...
18:21 Monday 9 November
Your configured download throughput speed for this service is 1250 k
Download  Speed
474 Kbps

0 Kbps 2000 Kbps
                      Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 474 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 400-2000 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1696 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1250 Kbps
*****************************************************************************************************
21:25  Monday 9 November
Results Image not loaded
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download  Speed
610 Kbps

0 Kbps 2000 Kbps
                      Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 610 Kbps
Additional Information:
******************************************************************************************************
Tuesday 10 November  08:15
         Download  Speed
578 Kbps

0 Kbps 2000 Kbps
                      Max Achievable Speed
Download speedachieved during the test was - 578 Kbps
Additional Information:
Anotherone
Champion

Well there we are I think that proves the point, I don't think anyone can say that 500-700 throughput speeds are good for a 1250 profile.
I think that really draws this to a conclusion, no doubt when the network issues are sorted this will improve.
shutter
Community Veteran

Quote from: Jameseh
Speedtest.net = BAD
Mybroadbandspeed = GOOD

Having sent James a PM with the comparative figures for his beloved "Mybroadbandspeed" speetester, and a request for his assistance, he has worked a magic spell somewhere, and my speed has almost doubled... Thank you James... Smiley
I hope the dreaded speed drop between 6 pm and 10 pm does not happen tonight, however, if it does, it is probably NOT because "unlimited is throttled"....
My sincere apology to James for this assertion.
I hope he does well in his new job, but if he doesn`t  Embarrassed I am sure he will be welcomed back here, as if he had only had a few days off !  Cheesy
Good Luck James Wink
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: shutter
The speed result is the same, Pierre,  try it and see for yourself.... by using three different servers. Birmingham (recommended) Paris , and Maidenhead, they all give the same result as the Plusnet speed tester...

Which speedtest.net server you use does make a difference:

OK - an extreme example, but what we want to find out is our speed from PC to just the other side of the Plusnet gateway. Using a server located inside the Plusnet London datacentre has got to be better (why do you think we all rubbished the previous PN speed tester which was in Sheffield?).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
shutter
Community Veteran

Only an I.... would use a server that far away from home.  Grin
If you want a copy of the Mybroadband speed tests to prove my point I will gladly send them to you.. Smiley
Oh and by the way.... even the beloved My broadband speed test differs considerably from the beloved  Cheesy BT speedtester results.... !
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I would expect that.
The BT speedtester is given the highest priority while all the others are the same as gold.
shutter
Community Veteran

OK, so you all don`t like speedtest . net.... for whatever reasons.... there is very little discrepancy between the results given by speedtest.net and mybroadband speed tester. therefore the argument that mybroadband speed tester is "better"  "more accurate" "superior" than speedtest (not tried others so can`t comment) is pointless.. 
my point is that when both give so similar results, and I use both at the same time to confirm each others results, not to destroy the other result, it really does not matter that much ...Does it?
for example....
***********************************************************************************************
Mybroadband speed test result
Today 09:45         700 kbps (87.5kB/s) 375 kbps (46.9kB/s)
************************************************************************************************************************
Speedtest.net result

11/10/2009 9:49 AM GMT 87.112.17.111 0.70 Mb/s 0.37 Mb/s 49 ms Maidenhead ~ 200 mi
11/10/2009 9:48 AM GMT 87.112.17.111 0.70 Mb/s 0.36 Mb/s 54 ms Paris ~ 400 mi
11/10/2009 9:46 AM GMT 87.112.17.111 0.70 Mb/s 0.38 Mb/s 58 ms Birmingham ~ 100 mi
*********************************************************************************************************************
You will, no doubt, question why I use three different servers, and I will reply by saying "to check and confirm the first/other results" Smiley
You wil, no doubt, say..." Oh look all those results from speedtest.net are the same as mybroadband speed test,"    Shocked
despite the variation in mileage ... well, well, there can`t be all that much wrong with speedtest. net results after all.... Smiley
Oh by the way... I do not have any association with speedtest.net in any way whatsoever... I just exercise my right to check the Plusnet (my broadband speed tester) against others.
zubel
Community Veteran

It's sensible to cross check, and I do it too.
However, if there is a discrepancy, I generally lean towards the MBBS one, as I know topologically it's close to the network.
B.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Quote from: Addnan
Speedtest.net has gone a bit crazy tonight. Says I get 177mbs down my line. Mybroadband speed says 3mbs which I will be happy with during the evening.

No comment!
Addnan
Grafter

Its not like that reading was a one off glitch, every test I do it keeps saying I get above 100mbs.
Anotherone
Champion

As Shutter said, just can't trust the PN tester  Grin Grin Grin  Crazy