cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could this be a net problem?

Kazbah
Grafter

Could this be a net problem?

Hey, I know this is going to sound really petty but, I really enjoy to play bejeweled blitz on Facebook but i have a problem, it freezes, all the time. Its literally split seconds at a time all the time, makes game play a bit hard, i get it on my laptop too yet my neighbour's doesn't do it. Sometimes its worse than others. Could it have anything at all todo with my internet connection? Thanks
16 REPLIES 16
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Could this be a net problem?

It's a flash game so it's possible that it is making your PC work hard, is your neighbours lappy newer than yours?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There are two possibilities which come to mind
Your connection is too slow - what does this say https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
The traffic is being mis-classified - can you try a wireshark - this explains how http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

In the name of research I have just played this and it took my CPU usage for firefox above 80% on a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo processor, which seems a bit mad.
Try running task manager and see what CPU usage is like when playing.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Kazbah
Grafter

Quote from: adiewoo
It's a flash game so it's possible that it is making your PC work hard, is your neighbours lappy newer than yours?

Neighbour's is PC, not so much fussed about the laptop more the PC, they are both custom built and good specs.
Quote from: Oldjim
There are two possibilities which come to mind
Your connection is too slow - what does this say https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed

Estimated line speed:
    5 - Checked on 2009-02-24 17:11:39
Current line speed:
Will try the wireshark thing later.
Quote from: adiewoo
In the name of research I have just played this and it took my CPU usage for firefox above 80% on a 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo processor, which seems a bit mad.
Try running task manager and see what CPU usage is like when playing.

I use Firefox and it didn't put mine over 60% and i'm using an AMD dual core 7850 2.8GHz so i'd say thats ok.
Thanks for the assistance though, any other ideas?Huh
James
Grafter

Re:Could this be a net problem?

Are you running the latest version of Flash?
Kazbah
Grafter

Just noticed this, sorry. Yes, i tried re-downloading the latest just to make sure and its not that. I'm a bit stumped really.
Just to add, I've just done a speed test at speedtest.net and it claims my ping was 245  :o, I know thats bad, why is it so high and could that be having an impact?Huh
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date.
Are you sure there is nothing else using the network - maybe some background processes are causing the ping issues.
Kazbah
Grafter

I've checked and double checked all that, drivers included coz my GFX card isn't that old so periodically check for them anyway (i recently bought it not it's new on the market!) It's the same on my laptop too, that's what's making me question the PC, obviously being a laptop the specs are a lot lower so as expected thats even worse. Just pinged my IP adress in command and that was all fine and I've even tried turning of my anti-virus and stuff temporarily just to see if that was affecting anything, i even went to the extreme of going through installed programs and removed anything i don't use but to no avail. I did the same test the other when it was stuttering and the ping was low, at one stage it was only 49 and that was through the day. Other games I play are ok, granted I don't play demanding games or anything but there and again I wouldn't class Bejeweled as demanding really.
James
Grafter

It's probably facebook being daft.
It's had all kinds of issues recently.
Kazbah
Grafter

Facebook will always have issues lol. But its totally fine on my neighbours PC, but his mouse is too fast  Wink
Ping is down to 46 this morning, just tried it, it stuttered VERY slightly but nowhere near as bad as normal (i don't normally play it this early!)
Kazbah
Grafter

Ok, just tried it again, speedtest claims ping at 35 and it stuttered even more so it can't be the ping. Definately at a loss now  Sad
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Perhaps it'd be worth trying a different browser, or perhaps clearing cookies/cache/history before playing?
Give Opera a go maybe (if you don't use it already), that's supposed to be very fast. Should be worth a go.
Hope that helps,
James
Grafter

Chrome's probably the quickest browser I've come across.  Reckon Opera would be pretty similar.
Kazbah
Grafter

Actually, i installed Chrome a while back but stopped using it because I couldn't use toolbar addon's but never thought about that, will try it. Thank you  Smiley