cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet since Monday

Andiehughes

No internet since Monday

Hi, hoping someone might be able to help

Internet went down on Monday evening. I work from home so it's a huge issue. Phone is fine apart from an occasional crackle. I live in first floor converted flat. The phone line appears to come into my living room, and goes into a socket (not a master socket) and then an extension, also in the living room). There has been no obvious damage to the phone line or equipment, the router works (I tried it at someone else's house) but cannot connect with the internet on any device.

Plusnet are sending an engineer to check wiring on Tuesday but seems unlikely to be a problem, and Plusnet also say broadband to my house is fine. I've gone through all the standard tests. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm at my wit's end!
15 REPLIES 15
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: No internet since Monday

Welcome to the forum @Andiehughes .

I it possible for you to follow at least some of the guidance on this thread - https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/ADSL-Speed-faults/m-p/1270245#M297501 ?

If you can give us an idea, maybe one of us could make suggestions?

John
Andiehughes

Hi John

Thanks for your reply. I had a look through the guidance but it seems to relate to speed problems. My issue is that I can't get any internet access at all, whether I use ethernet capable or normal wireless. Connecting to the router is not a problem, but the router(s) cannot connect to the internet. Is there something specific that I could check for that might help isolate the problem?
Andiehughes

*cable not capable!

I have been able to access the router page through my laptop, ran a connectivity check and it came up with green ticks for all categories: DSL, ATM, PPP, IP and Internet.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Are there any router logs? These may give a clue to the issue
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Andiehughes

Hi

Yes I found the router logs. Not entirely sure what I'm looking for but there are repeated references in there to 'destination unreachable code: communication administratively prohibited' . These entries also include the phrase 'firewall ICMP check'

Does this mean anything?

jab1
Legend

@Andiehughes You must be getting on the internet somehow - via phone?

As @dvorak says , sight of your router logs on here might help us to isolate the problem.

John
Andiehughes

Yes, using mobile data, less than ideal but no alternative.

jab1
Legend

Ah - so posting the router logs could be a problem?

John
Andiehughes

Yes unfortunately, I can't seem to get onto the router page with my phone
jab1
Legend

Could you photograph the router logs, and send them that way - as an attachment?

John
Andiehughes

Best I can do with this phone!
Andiehughes

Now this is bizarre

Having spent the morning fiddling about with the router, I chanced on the fact that the username and password on the router page was not mine - looked like a default setting. I presume that this was because I had restarted it more than once over the last few days. I put my name and password in and now have full internet access.

Still doesn't explain why it went down in the first place though, so now am thoroughly confused!

jab1
Legend

Glad you solved it, Andie.Thumbs_Up

DON'T FORGET to cancel the engineer,otherwise you'll end up with £65.00 charge for nothing, @Andiehughes

John
BillyCool
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Andiehughes Well done for solving your own problem! 🙂

Your router may just have had a wobble or it's slowly failing. Which one is it and how long have you had it?

You shoudn't lose your login details like that unelss you factory reset the router (I think PN can do it remotely if they want to as well).

If it does it again you might need to look at a replacement router.