cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Internet connection for 2 weeks!

chrissym101

No Internet connection for 2 weeks!

I have had no internet connection for a fortnight now with what seems like no real progress.
The broadband light on the router has been flashing on and off, but there is no light at all for the internet. I have tried all the re-configurations suggested. I have also used a different filter, used the master socket with no other attachments.
I have phoned practically daily to sort thing out - At each stage my case seems to have to been referred to a new department which takes 48-72 hours each time! This has happened three times! I have also not received call backs (as promised today).
I have been sent out a new router - (after the first was sent my previous address), and the new router has not made a difference. The BT and plusnet tests have been to no avail.
Despite numerous calls to plusnet the icing on the cake was last nights conversation with the support people resulting in the mind-blowingly enlightening answer of 'I don’t know'.
I would expect that at this stage someone of adequate training and experience would acknowledge and look into the case until it is fully resolved and not pass it around in 3 day intervals.
This is not at all acceptable.
22 REPLIES 22
lexusuk
Grafter

Re: No Internet connection for 2 weeks!

Hi chrissym101,
Apologies that your connection has been down for so long.  Let me look in to this for you and i'll get back to you shortly.
lexusuk
Grafter

I have asked one of our faults agents to investigate this issue for you.  I have tested your line and the results indicate an exchange side issue.
Can you confirm that the broadband light on your router is constantly flashing?  Our test results contradict this which suggests a specific type of fault.
chrissym101

Thanks for your prompt reply.
The broadband light alternates between rapid flashing, slow flashing, and is breif periods of no light.
lexusuk
Grafter

Thanks for confirming.  I have updated the faults agent dealing with this case with this information.
lexusuk
Grafter

After further testing by BT Wholesale a suspected problem was found within the exchange and an engineering task has been raised for this to be investigated.  Generally this will be completed within 48 hours.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

chrissym101
Have you just found out about the forum  Sad
You should have posted before
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
ismoore999
Grafter

Plusnet really need to sort this out. I was without broadband for three weeks because of these sorts of issues and I was told it was an isolated incident.
For what it is worth from my experience:
Plusnet will run a broadband test and if that shows a fault, they will pass it on for a line test.
Unfortunately if your line is not with Plusnet, someone will eventually tell you that YOU need to log a fault with BT that there is a problem. This can take up to a week (though I managed to pre-empt it because someone happened to tell me that it HAD been noted that there was a line fault but it takes at least 72 hours before someone manages to pick up a phone and tell you this)
BT will then take another 3 days working days (which does not include the day you call even if that is at  9am in the morning!) to tell you if there is a fault.
In my case this seemed to have cleared a fault on the BT side but it did not connect. I was passed back to Plusnet who then organised with BT for an engineer to come out.
Around about three weeks later.
As I pointed out to Plus Net, when I was with BE Unlimited, my line was with BT and LLU for Broadband. Within 20 minutes, Be had informed me I must call BT to sort it out as it was a line fault - so the whole lot was fixed in three days.
An example of customer service Plusnet?
As pointed out by the previous post, if you log a fault keep its progress public on the forum as that seems to work
PeterLoftus
Pro

Please don't misinterpret my post
My view is that Plusnet should be given some credit for creating an open forum where all issues can be brought forward and resolved in the open.
The combination of willing amateurs, some hovering professionals in relevant fields and interested customers with Plusnet employees in attendance is very effective. They can often deduce things which an agent over the phone has had trouble with. I wouldn't like a job like that  Wink
I don't think the forum is a secret and I was surprised you have suffered in isolation for a fortnight.
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
PeterLoftus
Pro

Another thought  Roll_eyes
I would consider the privatisation of BT analogous to the privatisation of British Rail, and one area of non functionality is the changeover between ISPs. This is particularly fraught when changing from an ISP utilising LLU, or moving to fibre from an ISP utilising copper. This mixes commercial and technical issues and the technical issues are not straightforward  Roll_eyes
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
ismoore999
Grafter

I agree with the forum, though they need to sort out the inconsistent customer service. Lets face it, three weeks for a line fault is idiotic. I would expect one week maximum.
And with regard to LLU, the stupidity is that BE, owned by Telefonica,  managed to sort out things with BT, where as PlusNet, owned by BT, could not sort it out with... BT! Smiley
chrissym101

Well, things have progressed to a green light for broadband and internet seen on the router, but when I try to access the net I get a BT wholesale page. I assume this is progress.
I had no idea this forum existed, until a colleague mentioned that when he posted on it - his problem was fixed.
It seems ridiculous to have to make your issues public before they are addressed, particularly in the face of the 'customer service standards' that are supposed to exist within this
Company.
As far as I am concerned I really do not care who sorts it out, whether BT or Plusnet. I am a doctor - and have extremely limited understanding of all of this, and do not intend on spending time reading up on technical workings of the internet connection. Surely that’s what I am paying for. There is no sense of urgency, a lack of efficiency and poor communication.
I am slightly reassured by the fact the employee who commented in this forum seems to be making things progress.
ismoore999
Grafter

The green light indicates that you have broadband but you should not be seeing a BT Wholesale page 
You should raise another post here and contact customer support as essentially the Technical side of the problem is solved.
I agree entirely that you should not need to be computer literate for this.
Not that it would help as I work with computers and all of these events were completely out of my hands. There was nothing I could do but play the waiting game all because of Poor customer service. How a contact on this forum managed to tell me something that Plusnet knew but I had to wait 24 hours for the official channel shows a fault in their procedures!
lexusuk
Grafter

Quote from: chrissym101
Well, things have progressed to a green light for broadband and internet seen on the router, but when I try to access the net I get a BT wholesale page. I assume this is progress.

This suggests that the engineering work is complete.  Let me complete some additional checks and i'll come back to you shortly.
lexusuk
Grafter

The faults team are looking at this for you now.  They will be in touch shortly.