cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New upgrade to ADSL2+ & feeling disappointed with speed?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: New upgrade to ADSL2+ & feeling disappointed with speed?

The tweak test shows the MTU is 1492 which appears to be the default for the router. However Max packet received was 1470, which is odd. I think 1492 is the maximum for PPPoE and I wondered if the router was set to use that rather than PPPoA which it should be on ADSLx. Other users of the router are best placed to comment on that aspect.
When you ran DrTCP was the MTU box to the right of the wireless card name empty (which implies laptop MTU=1500) or was a value shown?
If you've set up a wired connection it would be useful to repeat the tweak test connected that way.
David
Maximus
Dabbler

Hi spraxyt & jelv
Just been fiddling again taking on board your tips (in full)
Last evening I was tired and not 100% sure I got all right so just sat down and went through more carefully. Wireless is still around 10 mb but with cabled I have been getting around 14.5 mb and even as high as 16.5 mb. So it looks like I need to find out how to make my wireless be as speed efficient as cabled. Dare I ask again for any suggestions???
The router is only a few months old and is within a few feet of where I sit with my Lappy. I can see nothing around it or me that could interfere so wonder if I should try a wifi dongle (I have somewhere but would need an in depth search) or an older D-Link router gain hidden away somewhere (but where????)
Maximus
Dabbler

Quote from: spraxyt
The tweak test shows the MTU is 1492 which appears to be the default for the router. However Max packet received was 1470, which is odd. I think 1492 is the maximum for PPPoE and I wondered if the router was set to use that rather than PPPoA which it should be on ADSLx. Other users of the router are best placed to comment on that aspect.
When you ran DrTCP was the MTU box to the right of the wireless card name empty (which implies laptop MTU=1500) or was a value shown?
If you've set up a wired connection it would be useful to repeat the tweak test connected that way.

Router can only be set at max 1458.
When I ran DrTCP the box was empty.
Maximus
Dabbler

Just hit 17.75 mb wired  Cool
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Great news. Smiley
Please do a tweak test with a wired connection and post the URL. This would provide useful information for me.
Another test wireless now the changes have been applied would also be useful.
David
Maximus
Dabbler

Great news. Smiley
Please do a tweak test with a wired connection and post the URL. This would provide useful information for me.
Another test wireless now the changes have been applied would also be useful.

Link to wired test
http://www.dslreports.com/tweakr/block:2f4e129?service=dsl&speed=20000&os=winXP&via=normal
Link to wireless test
http://www.dslreports.com/tweakr/block:45fbe2f?service=dsl&speed=20000&os=winXP&via=normal
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Both the wired and wireless tests show similar performance, but with around 15% packet retransmission presumably due to network congestion at the time of today's tests. In yesterdays' test there were no retransmissions.
In these circumstances I think the RWIN I suggested is too large. I suggest changing it to 184340.
I note MTU has been reset to 1458 - and max packet sent and received match. If the same value has not been set on your laptop, enter 1458 in the MTU box alongside the Adapter name in DrTCP - do this for both the wireless and wired (Ethernet) adapters. Then click Save and Exit; now restart your laptop.
Try a mybroadbandspeed test again.
David
Maximus
Dabbler

Hi spraxyt
Done tweaks as you suggested.
Speed test before AND after were around 10 mb wireless and 14 mb wired.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Just thinking about the setting instructions I gave, I think I should have said click "save" after changing the MTU for each adapter, "exit" after doing the second one, then restart. Worth checking but I suspect it wouldn't have significantly affected the wireless/wired comparison at 8AM.
I hoped wireless and wired speeds would have been closer than those results. I did a comparison 20 mins ago using mybroadbandspeed on my laptop and got 5847kbps wireless, 5829kbps wired (5843kbps when I repeated the latter). My sync speed is 6776kbps, IP Profile 5997kbps.
Your test speed wired seems to vary quite a bit at different times of day, does test speed wireless also vary?
David
Maximus
Dabbler

Yep I did enter values for each adaptor and clicked saved then re-started.
Whatever time of day I find there is a difference of about 4 mb better for wired over wireless.
I have tried changing my channels but it is still sticking to the same pattern.
I bought a longer cable this morning so if I really crave the 4 mbs extra I can get them by going wired. My wife is now certain i am going mad but it is a bit of a challenge to try and get the speeds closer together. The guy at the PC shop also said there is always a significant loss with wireless.
Maximus
Dabbler

An update.
Problem solved as it must have been my poor router that caused all the problems.
I found my old dusty D Link router, in my loft, and within a few minutes had it up and running and was getting around 18 mb wireless time after time. So out of interest I re-attached the netgear router, after a factory reset, and wireless was only getting around 10 mb. A mystery still but thank goodness for my old router.
A big thank you to all that tried to help particularly spraxyt.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

Glad to hear that. Smiley
The tweaks have will have been beneficial anyway, increasing RWIN would have been needed to improve performance with the D-Link.
I assume the D-Link will allow an MTU of 1500, and probably has that setting. You could try increasing wired and wireless MTUs to 1500. I'd also suggest trying RWIN=256960.
David
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm pretty puzzled by the router MTU not being able to be set at 1500. Did you check that it was set to PPPoA and not PPPoE?
A friends wireless results on speed tests were halved when his router MTU was smaller than the PCs which is why I always look at that first.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Maximus
Dabbler

Glad to hear that. Smiley
The tweaks have will have been beneficial anyway, increasing RWIN would have been needed to improve performance with the D-Link.
I assume the D-Link will allow an MTU of 1500, and probably has that setting. You could try increasing wired and wireless MTUs to 1500. I'd also suggest trying RWIN=256960.

Yes the D Link is set at 1500 but I am very reluctant to fiddle any more as just over 18 mbs is good enough for me. And much better than the 6.7 max I was getting before ADSL2+.
Thanks again  Cool
Maximus
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
I'm pretty puzzled by the router MTU not being able to be set at 1500. Did you check that it was set to PPPoA and not PPPoE?
A friends wireless results on speed tests were halved when his router MTU was smaller than the PCs which is why I always look at that first.

To confirm the maximum the Netgear router would set to was 1492 and I have just confirmed this by looking in the user PDF.
My old D Link will go to 1500.
As my other post just sent I will now will leave well alone and will have to stay mystified by the poor performance of the Netgear router. In fact I am thinking I ought to take it back and ask for a refund as it was getting 8 mb less than my old D Link. 
Again thanks for your help