cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New upgrade to ADSL2+ & feeling disappointed with speed?

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: New upgrade to ADSL2+ & feeling disappointed with speed?

I've just looked in the manual and it says
MTU Size (in bytes). The normal Maximum Transmit Unit (MTU) value for most Ethernet networks is 1500 bytes, or 1492 bytes for PPPoE connections. For some ISPs you might need to reduce the MTU. But this is rarely required, and should not be done unless you are sure it is necessary for your ISP connection.

I have a much older Netgear router. If I set the encapsulation to PPPoE it won't allow the MTU to be set above 1492, if I set it to PPPoA it will go up to 1500. In spite of both Spraxyt and myself commenting on this several times I can't see anywhere where you've confirmed that it was set to PPPoA (and applied) before you tried to change the MTU.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Maximus
Dabbler

Re: New upgrade to ADSL2+ & feeling disappointed with speed?

Quote from: jelv
I'm pretty puzzled by the router MTU not being able to be set at 1500. Did you check that it was set to PPPoA and not PPPoE?
A friends wireless results on speed tests were halved when his router MTU was smaller than the PCs which is why I always look at that first.

Hi it was set PPPoA, as per Plusnet's suggested setting sent to me when I first joined. Any changes on the router have always been saved in the rounter interface before logging out of it. If ALSL2+ means differing settings I would of expected them to have told me when I upgraded. Bear in mind I am fairly PC literate but not with router/wireless network trouble shooting.
Out of curiosity I will summon up the strength to re-look at th Netgear router but I am not in the best of health and will need to pick my time.
I am grateful for your ongoing interest.