Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre speed

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: New fibre speed

I notice you disconnected/reconnected yesterday around 9.00pm? I'd be interested to know whether or not you've noticed an improvement since then? To add to the Wireless/Wired debate, I would only take results when wired to your router as conclusive. The majority of Wi-fi connections are going to struggle to obtain speeds of 35Mbps+

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

devil5882
Grafter

I tried to reset it all at 9pm as it went down to 2mb didnt make a difference every night from 7pm it drops to a real slow speed but ive never got over 30mb since the 1st day i had fibre ive done many tests wired and wireless and all it tells me is my net is all over the place and never reaches over 30 despite the bt guy telling me i should get speeds of 37mb no problem.before i went onto fibre i had a steady speed no matter what time of day it was no matter how many things were conected.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: devil5882
before i went onto fibre i had a steady speed no matter what time of day it was no matter how many things were conected.

Yes, but that was when the speed of your connection was < 7Mbps. The amount of devices connected to your router won't make any difference as long as they're idling and not using the connection when you're running speed tests. As already mentioned though, you're going to struggle to achieve consistent throughput speeds on fibre if relying on a Wireless connection. I know you've tried using a wired connection but I'm warranting a guess that the vast majority of speedtest results you've linked to in this thread were carried out over the wireless link?
I've checked your traffic management profile, BT profile and sync rate from this side and it all checks out. You're line is synchronised at 39.9Mbps so across a wired connection I would expect you to get speeds around the 37Mbps mark.
I can see you've raised a fault and been asked to run the BT speedtester too over a wired connection? The results from that are very low but I can only see evidence that you completed the first test? Were you not prompted to complete any more?
Also, what operating system/version of Windows are you using?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

devil5882
Grafter

To be honest im not seeing any difference between wired and wireless speed checks . Im using windows and just now i hit massive lag and my connection has dropped speed again its happening every evening . my ticket i raised seems to have gone from my account now hence my frustration at a lack of information ive done everything asked from me all the test wired ect... despite the test giving a poor result 4mb to be spot on im still being treated like this is a fault my end when looking at this forum its happening to lots of ppl.
devil5882
Grafter

this is a wired test
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

If you're using Windows XP then it might be worth you tweaking your MTU/RWIN, although the fact that the problem seems to be isolated to the evening does cause some concern.
The ticket is still on your account, it's currently sat with our Faults Team.
You didn't answer my question about the BT Speedtest?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

devil5882
Grafter

I didnt  do it cause it asked me for details i didnt know . Im using windows 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Beginning to think that there might be a nasty imbalance following the big outage late last week.
I typically get 55Mbps across my Powerline adapters but noticed things were a tad slow this evening. Did some gateway hopping and found that my speeds were seriously lacking on certain gateways ...
ptw-ag02 - 3.37Mbps
pcl-ag07 - 54.76Mbps
ptn-ag04 - 3.78Mbps
pcl-ag02 - 3.51Mbps
ptw-ag03 - 4.12Mbps
pcl-ag08 - 4.78Mbps
ptw-ag02 - 55.92Mbps (different end-point to last time?)
So if you disconnect/reconnect enough times and are lucky to hit the right gateway then you may well see a significant improvement. Best way to disconnect/reconnect (assuming you're using the Netgear router we supplied) is to just hit the 'Apply' button on the WAN settings page (where your broadband username and password are entered).
I'll make sure this is looked at tomorrow though because something definitely looks amiss to me ...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

devil5882
Grafter

ok ty
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

This makes for interesting reading.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Having read the article I linked to above, we've been doing some digging. Transpires that I'm currently connected to one of our Collindale end-points (rather than Faraday which is the site AAISP have noticed the packet loss on). If you look at the speed test results I posted then you'll notice how they're consistent with a potential problem at the Faraday site.
Chris was having similar problems to me last night before hopping around and settling on a gateway that gave him favourable speeds.  We've just checked his connection and he's on a Collindale end-point too.
@devil5882, you disconnected/reconnected around 10.45pm last night and having just checked you're also connected to a Collindale end-point. Did you notice a marked improvement after the disconnect/reconnect?
We're currently looking at other recent reports of problems to see if they're consistent with the theory that the issue is isolated to customers connected to our  Faraday host-links ...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Wow, it looks like my TBB quality monitor picked up exactly the same thing:

Since the AAISP graph showed packet loss ending around midnight my gateway hop may not have been what cured the problem (though it did seem to restore speed to normal).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

In case you haven't seen it folks, we've a priority problem raised and I've opened a Service Status thread here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Anonymous
Not applicable

I also had the Sunday evening / Monday morning till 3am slow down
I'm not on fibre, on standard BB.
466 metres from exchange
My normal d/l speed is 16.6mb/s
Tuesday 27th 1pm
Still good for me, I haven't reset anything ...
devil5882
Grafter

Yh i took ur advice and after a few attempts i clocked 33mb which is one of the fastest speeds ive got so far was steady all night after so thank you it worked. was down to 4mb before i did this by the way.