Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer having issues please advise

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: New customer having issues please advise

Well despite many requests in this thread for you to post your Full detailed DSL stats, without them I'm afraid we can't make any detailed constructive comment on how your TP-Link is performing compared to the 2704n.
ejs has given you some good basic information about your TP-Link and some of the similar models of these budget modem/routers.
Whilst the 2704n is also a budget modem/router, because it's bought in such volume in theory one should be getting a bit more for the money.
It does have a quite well respected Broadcom chipset.
As already stated it's not possible to give you any especially constructive comment, but based on the basic stats that you last posted and on the assumption that you plugged the TP-Link in just before the test that Tony posted at 1759 yesterday, then the TP-Link is the very slightest fraction slower on DS speed.
very452001
Grafter

I plugged in the TP-Link after Tony did that test.
Anotherone
Champion

Well without any TP-Link stats, even basic ones, can't comment at all!
very452001
Grafter

Ok I'm gonna figure out on how to get the stats on my new router and will get back to you guys
very452001
Grafter

Update:
I managed to get the Stats from my new TP-Link TD-W9980 router:
Current Rate (Kbps)
Upstream 828
Downstream 15341
Max Rate (Kbps)
Upstream 23753
Downstream 16304
SNR Margin (dB)
Upstream 12
Downstream 5.3
Line Attenuation (dB)
Upstream 10.1
Downstream 24.7
Errors (Pkts)
Upstream 0 
Downstream 0
Ok so what analysis can we come from these results?
Anotherone
Champion

Difficult to be absolutely definitive. The Errors (Pkts) being 0 -  I would fully expect (unless you've just switched on or rebooted as we have no Uptime), otherwise it would indicate serious problems with the line. But what they don't tell you is much about how the line is performing with the number of corrected errors, and the uncorrected errors that require re-transmission, but at least with all that, what data you are receiving is not corrupted. Does the TD-W9980 list any other errors anywhere?
The sync speed, attenuation and SNRM figures indicate that you don't have the best of lines, but there's probably little that can be done about that. Without more information, such as the current WBC line Profile information from Plusnet, we don't know the current Target SNRM so I wouldn't recommend a "graceful" resync in case you end up with a slower Downstream speed! but you might get a better upstream speed.
I'd suggest run the BTw Performance test using an Ethernet connection - not wireless, (DON'T REBOOT, ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
A DS result that is close to the IP Profile would suggest things are working pretty well, assuming that your Current Line speed (Login required) matches the IP Profile.
very452001
Grafter

The router has Uptime.
Don't know whether the TD-W9980 has anymore Stats to show unless someone here knows? Im sure my TP-Link router and plusnet router shows the same stats?
What is WBC line Profile information from PlusNet?
I threw my old PlusNet Router away.
All my tests are done via Ethernet not wireless.
Ok I be back with the updated results.
Anotherone
Champion

Hopefully one of the CRT will post the WBC Profile for you a bit later.
Quote from: very452001
I threw my old PlusNet Router away.

Sorry let me understand this. You joined Plusnet and they sent you a 2704n modem/router in February and you've "thrown it away"  Shocked      Why?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The profile is:
WBC 160K - 24M Medium delay (INP 1) 6dB Downstream, UC Medium delay (INP 2) 6dB Upstream (ADSL2+)
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Anotherone
Champion

Thanks Chris.
So my cautious remarks in reply #125 were appropriate. Interleaving is on, and you have 6dB Target SNRMs. It looks as though there may be a little bit of interference, which might even be cross-talk from another line going by the 5.3dB SNRM in your previous stats.
very452001
Grafter

Threw it away cause I bought a better one.
So what shall I do now?
Anotherone
Champion

Enjoy your connection.
But I will say throwing away a perfectly good modem/router when something goes wrong and you need a back up for testing, well that's just mad.
And btw the one you've thrown away does give better error reporting than your TP-Link so could have been very useful in trying to analyse a problem if one crops up.
I'm really lost for words, if you'd given it away on Freecycle or somewhere like that, it might have been more understandable.
very452001
Grafter

I posted Router Stats 3 Times! and I feel I be just be keep posting Stats throughout the life of the contract and not seeing any progress. I joined PlusNet in February and this is the nearly the 3rd month. All I want is a line that I am paying for to be capable at its best.
The 2nd time (Post #86) I posted the Stats (the one after the engineer visit) I believe will be the most relevant to this case. From these Stats we came to the conclusion:
Faults - Rectified Loop Fault, Lower Sync Speed
Fix Solutions - New Phone Socket, New Joints on DP, New D Side cable pair
I believe a settlement to this thread will finally arrive once the above fixes are installed.
Anotherone
Champion

That fault was not repeated (sometimes you can get a spurious report) and the suggestions I made were suggestions for possible changes IF you were seeing issues and a definitive fault could not be found.
The point of posting current stats would be to see if there are ongoing issues and the line was performing outside of the expected performance.  Any speeds mentioned earlier in the thread would be for a top quality Copper line. Put your number into the BT Wholesale checker that will give you a range of speeds that can be expected for your line and other lines on your DP (if for any reason you choose to post them, don't post your phone number).
Some lines are better than others, some are made of copper, some are made of aluminium (which sometimes don't perform as well as copper on ADSL), some lines suffer interference from MW/AM propagation, the list could go on, it's a fact of life.
No-one is asking you to continue to post stats "throughout the life of your contract", you should only need to post at all if you need help with something, or help someone else, or chit-chat on the Chit-Chat board.
On the basis of the information available & posted, you do not have an issue, the line is performing within expected limits. Plusnet cannot guarantee the quality of any line, nor can any ISP.  All they can do is report a fault to their suppliers BTw and/or Openreach for them to fix when a fault is present.
if you do not have any crackling noises on the line, and no problem making or receiving calls, and on the basis of the stats & profile posted where your line is neither banded nor suffering from high levels of Interleaving (hence error levels within limits where the automatic Exchange Dynamic Line Management has no need to act), then there is absolutely nothing wrong.
At present, there is no indication that there is anything wrong, and I'd guess that would be demonstrated by having an Indicative Line Quality (ILQ) of Green, which Plusnet could say from and xDSL Status check.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've been through a line test and checked the estimates for your line and it's performing within the estimated range, I cannot see any issues with the speed of this line.
The estimate is up to 12Mbps, and is currently in sync at 15420 meaning a profile of 13600. Indicative Line Quality:  G (Green).
What is the issue you're experiencing when using your connection and we'll go from there.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.