cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New User - download speed is slow

hindian

New User - download speed is slow

Hi there
I have recently had my plust net connected and when stated downloading torrents during off peak hours, I found out its very very slow does not go above 40kbps. What I dont know is if there's any router setting I need to do or thats what I going to get.
When I signed up for PN I was told speed throttling will be in affect during peak hours which is fair enough.
I was told that cus Iam very close to exchange centre my speed will be very good but it only shows 3632kbps.
Can someone please advice.
Thanx
7 REPLIES 7
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Re: New User - download speed is slow

There could be many reasons which your torrents are slow not necessarily your connection speed e.g. lack of seeds.
However, if you joined within the last 10 days and never had broadband before then your line will be going through a training period.
Can you post the results of..
1) a BT speed test http://speedtester.bt.com/
2) your router stats, up and down speed, SNR, attenuation.
3) What it says in the portal here https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
that will give an indication if all is well with your connection or not.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
James
Grafter

Hiya,
You are clearly close to the exchange - your connection speeds are the highest possible @ 8128Kbps.
However, you won't ever get speeds quite that fast, but they should hopefully be a bit better than what you have been getting.
Because you're on Broadband Your Way Option 1, your P2P speeds are restricted 24/7 as per this page:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/bbyw/speed.shtml#Option1speeds
hindian

Jameseh ,
Thanx for your reply. Now, I had no idea about download restriction 24/7 on P2P sites, All I was told was that the restriction will only apply during the peak hours and unlimited download during off peak hours.
Can you now suggest the best option and monthly cost along with phone line. I am happy just surfing during the peak hours and need good download speed during off peak hour. I need min 40gb download limit ie if there is any download cap during off peak hours.
Thanx
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

On the page that Jameseh linked to you can see the expected speeds for other products which have have no restriction for off peak downloads.
So you could go for BBYW2, though the new value package may be worth a look.
Non of the products have data limits for off peak usage.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
scootie
Grafter

adiewoo value is restricted p2p 24/7.
I need min 40gb download limit ie if there is any download cap during off peak hours

bbyw3 is 30gb peak usage but i would surrgest the new unlimited package is better for you if you need 40gb peak usage and unthottled midnight to midday p2p speeds
what market exchange are you connected to?. http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
hindian

ASBO
I'm on Market exchange 2. Can someone please tell me, if I decide to go for new unlimited pack will I be able to have same rate after1'st 3 months or it will increase.
I spoke to customer support and asked for option 2 so that I can download without speed limit during off peak hours but I was told the options are no longer available and will need to choose from the new available packages.
:'(begining to regret why I moved from sky where I was just paying £10 month for upto 8mm speed no speed restrictions during off peak hours and 40gb download limit.
dieselglider
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You can change between Broadband Your Way products, and the customer service should know that, although it may have to done via raising a ticket using the info in this link.  If you sign up to Unlimited, you are on a 12 month contract (as an existing customer), and as a market 2 connection, the price will rise to £19.99 after three months.
Why did you leave Sky?  And did you tick the 90 day money back guarantee at sign-up, in case you wern't happy at Plusnet?
Presumably you're only on a monthly contract, or are you on the special offer 10GB Option 1?