cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New House - Connection speed seems low.

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: New House - Connection speed seems low.

Then you probably need to check your other phone sockets.  Look also at which terminals are connected to wires.  In an ideal world you would find that only terminals 2 & 5 are connected at the extension sockets.   
Robskiwarrior
Grafter

I think my line was just upgraded to  ADSL2+ as I lost all phone for a few mins Smiley 
still need to find this master socket.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Have a look for the BT incoming cable outside. Where it enters usually give a clue as to which should be the master socket. But re-read my reply #13 for further guidance. Even with no extrenal NTE the house builders or electricians may not have put the master socket as the first socket on the system. Whilst you are looking at the back of sockets, make a note of what colour wires are connected to which terminal numbers at which socket. You should be expecting to see Blue+white trace on 2, White+blue trace on 5 and you may find Orange+white trace on 3,. White+orange trace on 4, and a green pair on 5 & 6.
On the socket where the BT incoming cable is connected, the colours of that cable may be different eg.  White on 2, Orange on 5.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Yes the upgrade has gone through so the line should now be training towards ADSL2 speeds.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Anotherone
Champion

In theory it should be, but with the current stats it's highly unlikely, might see a marginal increase.
Robskiwarrior
Grafter

Thanks guys Smiley  More details to follow Smiley
Robskiwarrior
Grafter

So I took some pictures Cheesy
Here is where the phone line comes in: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/626368/phone/IMG_1224.JPG
Here is the line going up in to the roof - it travels along and comes back down again by the kitchen door and the living room socket here:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/626368/phone/IMG_1226.JPG (closed)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/626368/phone/IMG_1227.JPG (open)
Here is the only other socket in the house we have found, in a bedroom upstairs. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/626368/phone/IMG_1228.JPG
And that's the mystery. Cheesy
Oh and in photo one you can see a black wire going in and this is what comes out the other side of the door...
http://d.pr/i/KZ5s
Anotherone
Champion

Have you had a look in the roof to see exactly what it does up there because there must be some form of connection box at least? The wiring connected to the back of the socket is not the external cable wire. And where does that plug in lead go? I'm afraid it's an old standard of cable and whatever is going on in the roof is the cause of most of your problem. More advice when we know what goes on in the roof.
PS. You can attach photos directly to a post rather than host them externally. If you use the Reply button below the last post, or click on Preview when using Quick Reply, there's an "+ Additional Options and Attachments..." below the box. Click on + and browse to where you saved the photos on your machine.
Edit: Argh  Shocked just seen your edit - you need to investigate exactly whatb is going on by the door!!
Robskiwarrior
Grafter

Regarding the edit - yea I can't coz it's kinda a stone wall Sad  Might need an engineer on this one!
Anotherone
Champion

You could always rip out the door frame  Grin
What about the cable going through the roof then, is it continuous and no joints? And what about that plug in cable, what's that for?
Robskiwarrior
Grafter

Door ripping out? probably not the best idea for the wife's health etc Cheesy
On it going through the roof - all I can see is insulation and there isn't much room up there other than that, it;s a crawl.  So I can't say it's a continuous cable or not...
Anotherone
Champion

How wide is this door frame? Can you post some more pictures? Who do you pay line rental to?
Robskiwarrior
Grafter

Line rental is to Plusnet Smiley
Door frame is standard size - wall is about a foot of stone.  basically there is no way I am getting in there but I can take more pics and put them up when I have internet again.
But now I have no internet at all - which is semi worrying as this is my work place lol Looks like it's an issue for more than just me... now I am wifi hotspotting my phone...
urrrrg

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

There's currently an outage, we've posted a <a href="http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1355391262.htm">service status</a>.
The estimated fix time is 1pm.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We're seeing connections re-establish now.
Once it fully resolved the service status will get updated.