Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New FTTC install - authentication issues

hex
Grafter

New FTTC install - authentication issues

Hi,
I had FTTC installed yesterday (25/2) and although the fibre modem is syncing fine the router is failing to authenticate.  The TR69 process seemed to work fine (it connected whilst doing this and retrieved the account details which all look ok) but when it tries to log in using the account it fails.
Example snippet from log:
Error Jan 1 00:04:41 PPP CHAP authentication failed (Internet)
Info Jan 1 00:04:40 PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = pcl-ag04)
Info Jan 1 00:04:39 PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = bras-red12.l-far)
Error Jan 1 00:04:26 PPP CHAP authentication failed (Internet)
Info Jan 1 00:04:26 PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = pcl-ag03)
Info Jan 1 00:04:24 PPP CHAP Receive challenge (rhost = bras-red12.l-far)
The troubleshooting steps in the booklet have been followed to no avail - I have also double checked the login details and they are fine.  I have only reset the fibre modem once to follow the troubleshooting steps and avoiding touching it any more in case it affects the sync speed.
I have not received an email/text saying the account is ready to use yet either (the welcome email says to wait for this, the booklet supplied with the router seems to suggest it should connect right away after install).  I did try calling support to see if there was an issue but there was an automated message to the effect that my account was not yet activated and to wait.
Apologies if I am just being impatient but most of the things I have read seem to suggest it should be up and working by the time the Openreach engineer leaves.
On the assumption this is just some kind of account setup issue please could you give something a poke to wake it up! 😉
Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: New FTTC install - authentication issues

I had exactly the same issue. I rang Plusnet whilst the OR engineer was here but the line was so busy that the engineer could not wait whilst I was on hold. However, after around 90 minutes on the phone it got resolved! (I had a red light showing on the router).
waynem
Grafter

same for yesterday ... but tech support talked me thru manualy  ...logging into router etc  Smiley
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Your account should have activated on the morning of the engineers appointment, but unfortunately it has got stuck in an incorrect state. I've fixed this and manually activated it now so you should be able to authenticate and get online.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
hex
Grafter

Thanks - much appreciated!
Up and running now Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Cracking result there, glad it's all up and working Smiley
If there is anything else we can do please let us know.