cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Asus dsl N55U need help Please.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: New Asus dsl N55U need help Please.

Keep an eye on this and this other threads, which is also having connection difficulties with the same modem/router.  Try following the advice give there.
I'm wondering if you both have the UK model of modem/router AND the UK firmware.
A few months back, when I was looking for my ideal ADSL modem, it became apparent that some manufacturers produce modems that are optimized for the broadband signal characteristics for different countries infrastructure, and therefore it is vital that you get the correct version of hardware and firmware for your region in order to get a good connection.
I just wonder if you (and the other thread) have inadvertently bought imported devices which don't work optimally on BT lines.
AndyH
Grafter

The Asus router is very easy to set up, which is why I'm wondering why you're having so many problems.
The automatic set up page is straight forward - it lets you set a router password, detects your ADSL connection, asks for your PN username/password, allows you to set a WiFi SSID/password.
As for the WiFi - it's proven to be one of the best performing routers for wireless. So there must be something wrong if you can't get good wireless signal.
Can you post the system log to let us see what's going on with regards to your connection?
got2getatan
Grafter

That is why I bought it because of the easy set up. When I launch the browser it goes straight to the asus window telling me that there is no internet connection - no cable from router to PC - no cable from router to modem. When using the set up wizard and manually configuring the router it gets to the final summary page with t he same result . Every other router that I have been lucky to own did everything without a problem. I have tried another PC and other cables which all work to Plusnet and BT router. The only thing that I have not done is remove this new BT master socket and plugged the filters into the back of the socket(socket has own built in filter). Iam just grabbing at straws at the moment and if I knew what I was doing I would forward findings. When I put the WAN connection details User name/Password I am put the my Plusnet Account  user name/PW which support told me to. I am wondering if ike one of the forum user mention that I have a non BT Asus Router.
AndyH
Grafter

It's not clear whether you're trying to set up an ADSL or FTTC connection here.
You said you were connected PPPoA, which indicates it's for an ADSL connection. But now you're talking about the BT router/modem, which indicates FTTC (PPPoA is wrong for this).
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: got2getatan
When I put the WAN connection details User name/Password I am put the my Plusnet Account  user name/PW which support told me to.

Your PPPoA password should be IDENTICAL to that used to login to the Plusnet Member Centre
Your PPPoA username should be as shown for "Login Name" in these Connection Details
It is worth checking the above just to be sure, as Plusnet CS have in the past told me the WRONG details when I was trying to diagnose a fault.
AndyH
Grafter

The router log would be very useful - if the OP's putting in the wrong username/password, it will show the error there.
got2getatan
Grafter

Thanks for the info am just taking dogs out in the fields, need to clear my head before starting again.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Start again and check you have ALL these settings configured correctly.  Wink
got2getatan
Grafter

I want to thank you all for your good advice but I'm afraid  I have had enough. Other than my PC now crashing and not being able to get anywhere with the set up wizard I have decided to bin the router. Currys where I purchased the router had a NO QUIBBLE 7 day return policy but apparently this does not apply if you have opened the goods or used them so maybe the bin men can get it to work. Thanks again to all that have tried to help.
AndyH
Grafter

I'm surprised you're giving up.
Asus are excellent routers, regarded as one of the best.
HaresEar
Grafter

Send it my way if you are serious.
dragona
Grafter

One thing you could try is going into something like "administration" (?) then the DSL settings tab make sure SRA is disabled and bitswap is enabled and do not mess with SNR.
Though having personal experience with this router I'd say take it back my first N55U failed and my second one now has a hard time detecting line attenuation correctly since BT changing which cable i used to get to exchange. (long line here) reviews I've read seem to state its better on short lines. Wireless performance for me was faultless though.
Give the above a try if that still doesn't work just get shot of it.
Edit: forgot to mention SRA is enabled by default for some reason Sad
got2getatan
Grafter

Great Joy. Having had a long conversation with the Asus Techs ad the right guys at Plusnet , problem solved. 90% was my fault by not being careful when entering details into the set up advised by my first encounter with b the Isp. The rest is due to the Open Reach all in one master socket containing its own filters, as soon as I removed the front and put the Asus filter into the back and away I went. Strange that the BT Hub2 worked through this. Anyway fingers crossed its still going strong so don't anyone be put off buying this router because of my mistakes. and thanks again for your your help because I could not have done without it
HaresEar
Grafter

Could you not have just connect the Asus direct to the master socket omitting the Asus filter?
Glad you got it sorted. I will have to buy one now Cheesy
HaresEar
Grafter

Just Bought a N55U of a famous auction site. A bit of a punt as the seller said he had intermittent wi-fi but pan worked fine. £24 eek . I am hoping a firmware upgrade will solve things as per internet searches.
Watch this space or not as the case may be. Grin