cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Scanner

alanewing1

Network Scanner

Hello,
Ive recently moved to plusnet, and got the router installed on Saturday.
The problem is I have a network scanner/printer - Samsung - SCX-4828FN - which I cant seem to get working.
The router Plusnet has supplied is a Thomson TG585 V8.

With my previous router (Netgear DG834) I think I enterd a static IP adress into the device first then the computer, named the device and it picked it up. Initally the thomson router seen the scanner on port 3 but it doesnt seem to find it anymore, even after trying a reset, switching ethernet ports,  unplugging the device at both ends and turning it off and on.
I cant seem to find any options like this on this router, it seems very 'closed' compared to the Netgear. Any advice?
7 REPLIES 7
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Network Scanner

I use a (wireless) networked PSC wit the same router, as soon as you connect it and switch it on you shoiuld see the ethernet light on and it should then show in the devices list in the router - you may need to ensure the device is set to use DHCP and not a static IP address.
Once it shows up you can click on the device and you have the option to always use the same IP address - this is useful for networked printers.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,485

Why not use your old router, if you still have it?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
alanewing1

Quote from: walker23
I use a (wireless) networked PSC wit the same router, as soon as you connect it and switch it on you shoiuld see the ethernet light on and it should then show in the devices list in the router - you may need to ensure the device is set to use DHCP and not a static IP address.
Once it shows up you can click on the device and you have the option to always use the same IP address - this is useful for networked printers.

Ive gotten the scanner to show up on the attached devices list but cant seem to get it to work properly.
I tried setting the scanner to DHCP but no luck as when I go to scan it gives me an error message. The only way I got it to work last time was using static.

Quote from: dvorak
Why not use your old router, if you still have it?

Well, this one is wireless so thought might as well get it for £5, plus it says plusnets website that the DG834 I had may of needed a firmware update to work properly.
Is it possible to flash the Thomson box with stock firmware, Id assume it would be more open and allow eiditng of static IPs etc?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

It is possible to flash the Thomson with stock firmware but Thomson (now Technicolor) don't provide or support the firmware directly - I have previously found it via Google but I have not used it so I cannot say if it is any good.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

The TG585v8 has a different default subnet ( 192.168.1.x ) to the DG834 ( 192.168.0.x ) so if you are using the defaults you will need to allocate the scanner a static IP in the 192.168.1.x range. Having changed the IP address of the scanner you may find that the scanner driver is still trying to communicate with the old ip address and you may need to reinstall the driver ( or at least change the port to the new IP ).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MJN
Pro
Fixes: 5

To follow on from MisterW's advice, it may be worth pointing out that if you can set a static IP address on the scanner (which you ought to do) then the router won't really playing any role in its connectivity you are free to ignore the byzantine configuration/setup as only the 'dumb' switch functionality is required.
(I am assuming here you don't print/scan remotely over the Internet!)
Mathew
alanewing1

Thanks MisterW, the idea of reinstalling the drivers worked for the PC. Cant believe I didn't think of that earlier.

Thanks for the help everyone.