Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Issues??

pd
Grafter

Re: Network Issues??

Quote from: axisofevil
http://www.javatester.org/version.html says that I am running "Java Version 1.6.0 from Sun Microsystems Inc.

Says I'm running 1.6.0_05 March 2008, latest is 1.6.0_06 May 2008, so I don't really see any point upgrading yet.
pd

penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

Comments from Plus appear conspicuous by their absence Roll_eyes
internet was almost unusable for me last night for around an hour. This is just general browsing as well.  I feel there is something up somewhere, and I have no objections to doing any testing etc, but I am very doubtful, its my setup, cause absolutely nothing has changed, and I very much doubt the filtered faceplate is kaput. No noise on voice line, and router appears to be OK from the interface, no obvious errors. Have rebooted it a couple of times, even switched it off for a couple of hours to see if its overheating ( doubtful again as its in the attic, in a ventilated area, that is very cool, choosen for that very reason). 
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I've checked over your account from here and there isn't anything obviously incorrect, you are on the right profile which isn't restricting you, no usage allowance has been reached and the configured profile is 5000. As the problem is continuing on the RIN platform this shows it's not our network causing the issues.
Have you been able to complete a BT speedtest yet? (on our network -plusdsl.net)
Have you got any DNS servers set manually?
Have you been able to test with a different router to rule out a hardware problem?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
pd
Grafter

Chris, excuse me butting in here, also excuse my ignorance.  I have seen RIN mentioned a few times but haven't a clue what it is, nor can I find any explanation anywhere.  Could you enlighten me, please.

Peter
James
Grafter

Hi Peter,
RIN is BT Retail's Retail Internet Network, which was offered to PAYG customers about a year ago.  We haven't put any customers onto it for ages, so if you haven't heard of it, you're probably not one of those customers!
Customers on RIN will use username@plusdsl2.net as their broadband username.
pd
Grafter

Thanks James.
Peter
penfold
Aspiring Pro

I will try a BT Speedtest again, and keep fingers and toes crossed it works.  Even if it gives a decent throughput, this isnt my issue really, its the general lagginess of the whole experience. Not sure whats causing it, but the only other thing I can think of is exchange contention, even though the exchange is green. Can you suggest anything that may be causing lagginess and high pings??  It does remind me of the bad old days when I was on BB+ with the lack of capacity issues Plus had. I know its not the same issues, beofre anyone says, but the symptomology appears to be the same, cause will no doubt be different.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Hmmmm  oddly enough everything seems to be fine again tonight. Pings back down to 60-70ms  Speeds are much much less laggy. I wonder what the issue was??, although I did lose sync 17hrs ago, and have gone from 5988 to 5764, wouldnt have thought this was the issue though, but its the only thing that has changed since 2 days ago.  Anyone hazard a guess???
paulby
Grafter

High pings and lagginess aren't necessarily anything to do with your connection.  They could be caused by anything between you and the server you're connecting to: problems at PN's peering partners, problems with routers anywhere along the route, routing issues due to connections being down, etc.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Paul, unsure as to why this was happening day and night for 4 days on the run, then all back to normal again Huh
chillypenguin
Grafter

It could have been an issue with the exchange that BT have now sorted.