Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net drop

Kazbah
Grafter

Re: Net drop

Quote from: Jameseh
Hiya,
I can see that you disconnected at 05:10 and reconnected 13 minutes ago.
RADIUS reports the connection drop as an administrative reset - could be standard maintenance on your exchange at that time in the morning.

Thank you Jameseh for looking. Right, well, for starters it can't be me coz i wasn't up at 5.10! But i did reboot the router at the time you claim. Why would standard maintenance cut me off and if it is that why would it do it 5x a day nearly or 3x in one hour and at all times of the day. Initially it started being around tea timeish and then got later and earlier. Does anyone really have an answer that will totally resolve this annoying problem?
Ive also just noticed in my router stats that my downstream data rate has finally changed from 5952 to 6272 but the noise margin is still at 12.2 and upstream up to 24, why has that changed suddenly???
James
Grafter

Hi,
Variable sync rates are not unusual.  Quite often you might notice a bit of a change when you reboot your router.  Generally these will be best earlier in the day when there's less noise present on the telephone line.
As for why your connection is dropping, there could be many different reasons.  I'd initially suggest swapping out the router and filter and making sure that you're wiring into your master socket (sorry, I can't remember what you've tried so far!).  If it's still dropping after that, then raise a fault.
Kazbah
Grafter

I have tried another router and filter and i am in the master socket, none of this helped. Initially i thought it was the router but it continued. Just tried tghe 17070 test to see how clear the line actually is and there does seem to be quite a bit of of hissing and crackling
James
Grafter

Might be worth raising a fault with your voice line supplier and see if there's anything they can do to fix.
Kazbah
Grafter

That'll be PN then!
James
Grafter

Give our faults team a ring and they'll be able to give you some pointers and we can raise with OpenReach if it's a fault.
Are Home Phone Faults guys are pretty spot on.
Kazbah
Grafter

Thanks Jameseh, i'll give it a try. Thanks for your help and time  Smiley
Kazbah
Grafter

Can you give me the number Jameseh, can find the online part to raise a ticket but can't find a number to ring! Or will raising a ticket be ok?
James
Grafter

Hiya - Call 0845 1400200 and follow the path for faults and then Home Phone faults.
Kazbah
Grafter

Ok, right, this really is mad now. Rung faults and have just done what they told me to do but before i ring back with results i want to know if anyone can understand this and if this explains anything at all. Was told to do the quiet line test without any broadband equipment connected so i took out all of the stuff from the wall and just plugged in the phone, rung the quiet line test and it was same but when i reconnected everything my modem all started up as normal, all lights flashing but guess what, there was no net connection??? This is a copy of the screen i received:
This web page is not available.
The web page at null might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.
  More information on this error
What problem, when i take out my net from the phone line and reconnect would cause this??? I'm really stumped now  Undecided
Kazbah
Grafter

Ok, well, i can't afford to stay on hold for 10 minutes so here's hoping for a bit more help from someone on here for now. As my previous post stated i did the requested, disconnected broadband stuff and tested line - noisy, reconnected - no net! Tried using another phone - quiet. So obviously it can't be noise on the line causing this, does this mean it isn't a line fault or what?
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

You might have tried this, but disconnect everything that's NOT related to your broadband, just leave the router plugged in, and try again. Sound to me as though you have a bit of kit (another phone?) which might be up the spout. If you have the so-called master socket installed in the house, plug the router directly into that socket behind the faceplate.
When you said "all light flashing" what exactly did you mean?
We'll bottom this if it kills us, which it prolly will!  Grin
Kazbah
Grafter

Quote from: nozzer
You might have tried this, but disconnect everything that's NOT related to your broadband, just leave the router plugged in, and try again. Sound to me as though you have a bit of kit (another phone?) which might be up the spout. If you have the so-called master socket installed in the house, plug the router directly into that socket behind the faceplate.

You're right, I have lol! Another phone which might be up the spout????? What exactly do you mean by this?? I think my definition of 'up the spout' may not be the same as yours lol. I use the master socket anyway coz my secondary in 6ft high in the hallway! If i plug in behind the face plate i dont get any internet connection at all, or last time i tried there i didn't, i'll give it another go though.
When you said "all light flashing" what exactly did you mean?

The wireless light (flashing), adsl light (solid) and net light (flashing) were all as they would be if my computer were connected and working online but the web pages wouldn't load.
We'll bottom this if it kills us, which it prolly will!   Grin

Lol, but your help is appreciated  Smiley thank you
nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

I assumed that you had other phones in the house on hard-wired extensions (which will probably be wired back into the master socket); by up the spout I meant knackered! Maybe interfering with the router signal somehow.
Sound as though you have tried everything. Does the wiring behind the faceplate go directly out of the house into an external box of some kind?
And..  sometimes dis/reconnecting often confuses the PC...  when in doubt try rebooting the pc! Do this first.
Out of interest you are using dialup at the moment?
Kazbah
Grafter

Right, firstly, I am now connected to the back of the faceplate on the master and the noise on the noise tester line has stopped, any ideas why?Huh
Secondly, my home phones are wireless.
I live in a block of flats, i'm assuming the wiring goes to a cupboard called BT on the ground floor of the flats (it's a 2 storey building).
I tried re-booting the PC when it failed to connect properly this morning and it didn't work and i'm on PN's unlimited broadband package.