Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need To Resolve Speed Issue

Adderman
Grafter

Re: Need To Resolve Speed Issue

Cheers
Yes jelv, I do have a connection socket with that symbol, so it does look like I'm set up for ethernet. Thanks.
More interestingly however, there seems to be a concensus building that I'm NOT on IP Stream Max ( see previous posts by Maurice,  Adiewoo and HP Sauce -  a suspicion shared by myself).
Jamesh @ Plusnet. Can this be bottomed out please? Despite you saying I am on Max , my experiences, the results and the replies seem to say I'm not.  Doesn't all this warrant some further investigation by Plusnet?Huh
Adderman
Adderman
Grafter

Just to add a further note:
here is part of a Plusnet reply I received on 14th January 2009 in connection with my speed issue:
"I have looked through your account and I cant see any reason to why we would be limiting you ..............."
Is this not a part acknowledgement that my speed is being restricted?
Adderman
zubel
Community Veteran

It really is worthwhile testing an alternative router if it is at all possible, but it does look like the line is still provisioned as a fixed 2meg line.
B.
Adderman
Grafter

Thanks for your input Barry. I am prepared to try an alternative router but only when I'm satisfied that Plusnet have done their job properly.
Adderman
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

You are definitely configured at 2mbps fixed rate, no question.
Either PN need to correct their systems OR they need to put a boot up BT's a**se - either way it's for PN to sort out so raise a ticket.
Your modem will run up to 8mbps but it's always better to have a router (especially on Max) and your PC appears to be capable.
Suggestion: PN supply you with a free one and waive the delivery charge by way of recognition of the SNAFU on your line speed.  Roll_eyes
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

There is a problem somewhere as your speeds are for a fixed speed line but a BT test won't give an IP profile unless you are on Max and it does  Shocked
I have flagged this up for a rep - hopefully tomorrow but possibly not until Monday
Adderman
Grafter

Ta very much HP and oldjim.
OK - I won't raise a ticket (again!) until I've heard back from oldjim's-(thanks old')- request for a report. Sooner the better I hope.
HP - as above and thanks again. (This palaver has echoes of when I asked to transfer my phone service from BT to Plusnet a while back. P/Net said it would take ten days - it ended up taking 3 months - and only after I had to resort to a forum posting)!!
(On a general note- following all suggestions I'll consider changing to a router but you'll all understand that I want Plusnet to get to the bottom of this first. I'll post any info I get from them.
I wait with baited breath!! Off to work now (another groan!!)
Adderman
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Have you been able to discover how to get the ADSL line stats from that modem?
Adderman
Grafter

Anotherone
Sorry mate - I haven't been able to do that - but if anyone can help with that I'll try.
Cheers
Adderman
Adderman
Grafter

Hangon a minute Anothrone (and others)!  Just remembered!
Here is are some broadband checker results included in a reply to my original ticket about my speed issue.  This info might be what your'e looking for?Huh
Link:CSA Removed BOT - DSL Logged Faults  5:33pm, Wednesday 21st January 2009
INTERNAL:
Upstream Link Info

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin Errored Seconds HecErrors Cell Count Speed
17.5                                         24.7         0                         0                  6104160 288

Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss Loop Loss Add Text SNR Margin ErroredSeconds HecErrors CellCount Speed
42                                                 19                 0                         0                  48437069 2272

DSL Max Data

BIP Interface Data

Current line rate Line rate change timestamp Maximum Stable Rate Recalcuated ProfileTimestamp Maximum Stable Rate
2000 2008-10-28T00:15:00 N 2008-10-29T13:53:44 2272

Fault Threshold Rate Interleaving Flag ServiceOption ServiceOption Status ServiceOption Update Timestamp
1817 I 1 UNABLE TO REACH THE CHOSEN SERVICE OPTION BUT WILL CONTINUE TO FUNCTION UNDER DLM CONTROL (ILQ=R) 2008-10-28T06:10:50

adie:red CSA removed as per link:rules]
Adderman
Grafter

Sorry that info seems to have got out of synch wef the Downstream link cell count column.  The speed should obviously read 2272.  As for the rest are you still able to decipher this or would you like the numbers under the correct headings?
Cheers
Adderman
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Current data is ideally what we need to nail down and sort any ongoing problems (which there may be) so you still need to discover how to get at those stats (nothing in the manual?). Also try and borrow a router - it's nice to confirm what you are seeing your end with 2 devices.
That said you've inadvertently provided sufficient information to confirm a number of suspicions held by jelv, Maurice, HP, OJ and self. This is NOT running as a true maxDSL service. With that line data you should be capable of syncing around 5M currently and under ideal condition approaching 6.5-7M.
Here is a question for James, what exactly does this mean?
Fault Threshold Rate   Interleaving Flag   ServiceOption   ServiceOption Status   ServiceOption Update Timestamp
1817   I   1   UNABLE TO REACH THE CHOSEN SERVICE OPTION BUT WILL CONTINUE TO FUNCTION UNDER DLM CONTROL (ILQ=R)   2008-10-28T06:10:50

An explanation would be nice to broaden all our kowledge base, rather than - "there's something wrong there".
I would have thought "a rat should have been smelled" some while back and a futher investigation taken place especially in the context of the test results, I'd guess the others would agree with me.
Adderman
Grafter

ta again Anotherone.
Sorry, I've looked at the driver install disc and checked the basic Quick start Guide - these were all I was supplied with -  and neither tell me how to obtain any kind of in-depth info.
Respecting everyone's advice I fully intend now to change to a router (any recommends anyone? I'll pay whatever, provided performance justifies cost.  Also been researching best filters - the XF-1e pro gets good reviews). Downside  is 'cos of long working hours can't do anything about this until late next week.
But regardless of my own time restrictions it looks like Plusnet still have plenty of explaining & work to do. Let's hope everyone's comments shake them from their apparent apathy.
Wink Adderman
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I think you should be able to get your line stats as follows (courtesy of Kitz😞
ZyXEL Prestige 630 USB modem
To access the advanced Features
Hold down Left Shift + Left Ctrl and then click on the ZYXEL logo.
Click the Advanced Button that appears to get a window showing your line stats.

David
David
James
Grafter

Adderman *is* on IPStream Max.
If he wasn't, he wouldn't be getting that view on the BT Speedtester (and thanks for the PM telling me I was wrong, Adie). Wink
It suggests to me that it is a capped IPStream Max circuit. We could try resolving it via one of two avenues.
1) Raise a fault with BT
2) Downgrade to 2Mbps fixed and then reupgraded to IPStream Max.
I suspect that the second is probably going to be the quicker option as each order will take 24 hours.