cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My maximum boardband speed

jingjingtao

My maximum boardband speed

Hi,
My boardband speed is slower than I expect it to be, is 2Mbps the highest speed I can get? I've listed the details of my connection below and attached images of my tests. Thank you for your time and help.
Service:
Plusnet Unlimited
Estimated line speed:
6Mb (This may vary between 5Mb and 7Mb) - Checked on 2013-10-15 23:37:42
Current line speed:
1.7 Mb

Regards
Jing Jing Tao
14 REPLIES 14
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: My maximum boardband speed

You need to find out the attenuation on your line to determine the maximum speed it might be capable of.  Most routers provide this information.  See this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html .
jingjingtao

Hi ReedRichards,
Thank you for your reply, I checked my router, this is the information I got, does this mean 2.2 Mbps is the highest I can achieve? Thank you for your help.
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 2,200
Regards
Jing Jing Tao
picbits
Rising Star

You need to post the full statistics from the router with your attenuation values etc so we can have a look and see if anything looks untoward Smiley
*Edit - also, do you keep your modem on 24/7 or disconnect or reboot it frequently ?
jingjingtao

Hi Dom,
I've attached all the information. We leave our modem on 24/7.
Thank you for your help  Smiley
Regards
Jing Jing Tao
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Your downstream attenuation is 43.5dB,  If I round it up to 44 and put that number into the calculator here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php then the maximum speed you might achieve (on a 20CN exchange) is a little greater than 6 Mbps (which is in agreement with your estimate).  So something is wrong.
Your downstream SNR margin is close to the default 6dB (which is assumed in the maximum speed calculation) so you must have some high frequency noise/interference on your line.  This could be because you have forgotten to fit an ADSL filter on one of the telephone sockets you are using or it could be because your internal telephone extension wiring is acting as a radio aerial and picking-up radio transmissions or it could possibly be due to some faulty electrical equipment in your house that is injecting high frequency interference onto your mains wiring which then finds its way onto your telephone wires.  Providing the source of the problem is somewhere in your house, and it almost always is, then you can find and fix it if you are patient and persistent enough.
To begin, refer back to this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96155.0.html and connect your router to the Test Socket.  You will not see any immediate effect on your speed but if you are on the right track then the statistics (as per your last post) will change for the better. 
picbits
Rising Star

As above - I'd personally try a new filter, plug the filter into the test socket and run a single phone/router from that filter / test socket for a week and see if it improves.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

He's on 21CN (DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A) so the maximum speed that could be expected is a little bit higher.
The number of errors being logged is pretty high so I'd agree with the next step being to try using the test socket. When the filter is plugged in to the test socket you need to check that there is no dial tone on any other telephone sockets. If you could post the link information again when it has been running like that for a few hours we'll take another look.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
AndyH
Grafter

Unless I am missing something, but why does the OP not upgrade to FTTP? (looking at his BT Availability screenshot) That would be an instant speed boost  Smiley
Plusnet Essentials Fibre up to 38Mbps - £16.49 per month
Setup charge - free
Speed - up to 38Mbps down, up to 9.5Mbps up
Contract - no change to your existing contract period
Usage - 40GB (between 8am and midnight), unlimited overnight (midnight to 8am)
Router - free 3 port wireless
This product is the same as our FTTC Essentails Fibre product only with FTTP.
Plusnet Unlimited Fibre up to 76Mbps - £19.99 per month
Setup charge - free
Speed - up to 76Mbps down, up to 19.5Mbps up
Contract - no change to your existing contract period
Usage - Unlimited
Router - free 3 port wireless

Edit: For the OP, FTTP is where you are connected directly to your telephone exchange via a fibre optic cable. This supports speeds up to 330/30Mb and the advertised speed is what you get (there are no issues like noise on the line etc. which affect copper lines). Very few people in the UK have access to this technology and it is certainly worth it if you want/need a speed boost!
Harro
Grafter

Have to agree, why not get Fibre instead, I got fibre and its the best thing I ever did Cheesy
Im on the 78Mb Down / 19Mb Up

You might think these speeds are a bit low, But look to the server im connecting to, New York, 3450 Miles away
jim:quote
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: AndyH
Unless I am missing something, but why does the OP not upgrade to FTTP?

When you move to FTTC then BT will come to your house and fit a high-quality filter to your broadband socket.  You can buy the same filter yourself for about £10.  It is an interstitial filter so provided you have a normal master socket then no re-wiring is required to fit the filter.  This filter would eliminate the vast majority of problems with conventional ADSL broadband, let alone fibre.  Under the rare circumstances where this filter does not work (because the cause of the problem is outside the house and/or on the mains) then I would expect a lot of problems with fibre also.
FTTP. if it really is available, does not (AFAIK) involve fitting the filter I mentioned but I imagine the modem is still potentially subject to REIN.  Or maybe not?  I have a very bad switched mode power supply if anyone with FTTP wants to run tests.   
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You are talking about FTTC - this is FTTP
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Yes Oldjim, I had already modified my post to cover both options.  Out here in the Styx, where FTTC is a distant prospect, it's a bit hard to believe many people have the option of fibre to the premises.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You have my sympathy - my exchange is FTTC enabled but not my cab and it never will be  Sad
AndyH
Grafter

Anyone who can't get fibre has my sympathy.
I've had FTTP for a year now and it really is worth getting. If the OP wants a future proof technology, he should definitely upgrade and PN should be pushing it towards him.