Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My line now seems to be permanently set at 135kbps

lr73

Re: My line now seems to be permanently set at 135kbps

Quote from: ReedRichards
Quote from: lr73
My broadband is virtually unusuable due very slow speeds. ...Any ideas apart from moving provider (which I will be doing as soon as I get my MAC code). I also dont see why I should pay for a service that is not working as described.

If you have someone local who fixes computers and makes house calls then such a person is likely to be experienced in getting to the bottom of problems like yours and should also have some idea what speeds other people in the area achieve.  Otherwise if you switch away from Plusnet, can you go with Virgin Cable service (to eliminate any possible problems with your phone line/wiring)?  Failing that, can you find a LUU ISP that installs their own equipment in your exchange?  If you end up with another ISP using exactly the same BT equipment then you minimise your chance of overcoming the problem. 

Im waiting on PlusNet to get back to me about BT checking the exchange but have not even bothered to get back to me. Disgusted at the customer service. I even spoke to someone on the phone that thought they could talk to me like a 2 year old abruptly. Patience is very thin now.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi lr73,
I'm sorry about this - our faults team will be picking this up shortly and there'll be an update to the ticket very shortly. I'll make sure to chase this for you this afternoon and confirm it's moving in the right direction.
robjodi1985
Grafter

135kbpshell  i was in the same boat as you had slow speed for 2 months,numerous of fault tickets raised,phone calls,bt engineer visits still no use..still didnt find problem i also changed filter,router,cables etc
i just had enough so decided to leave,people told me if i changed provider i would take the problem with me,how wrong was they iv just joined opal and im receiving just over 8meg constently no drops in speed
it just shows how bad the bt network is,if your leaving plusnet which i think u should try looking for llu provider or cable broadband this might help,yesterday was first time ive been able to watch internet videos in 2 months yay (hows sad is that) also just to mention if they try charging u a disconnection fee get in touch with ofcom they have broken terms and conditions as a provider! also matt taylor its taken u 2 weeks to actually contact 135kbpshell about the fault just admit you havent a clue whats wrong,dont charge her a penny and let her leave your shoddy award winning company(voters or judges must of been drunk to give u any awards)

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I have to deal with a lot of ISPs on behalf of clients and Plusnet (who are also Madasafish and Waitrose Broadband, possibly others) do offer good customer service in comparative terms - possibly because some other ISP's customer service is dreadful.
The whole thing about ISPs advertising "up to 8 meg broadband" is the subject of much debate.  The truth is an ISP can estimate what speed you might achieve but they cannot know.  I suspect you will find the contract you signed up for will reflect this.
If you have an audibly bad line, the chances of getting fast broadband are small.  BT Openreach engineers are bad at dealing with poor lines.  If the line has a break they have equipment that will tell them how far along your line the break is but I don't think they have anything that will locate a bad contact so they have to inspect each one in turn all along the length of your phone line.             
135kbpshell
Dabbler

As my last post was removed at ReedRichards request, along with a threatening message from PlusNet: 'we will deal with you very firmly' , I shall ask nicely this time. Please, Mr fictional heroic character would you keep your opinions and advice to yourself on this thread. My experience of PlusNets service and customer service is that it is the worst I have experienced. That is my opinion and I'm entitled to it after enduring a poor broadband speed (on and off) for the last 2 months, and (with some exceptions) apathetic, impersonal and condescending customer support. Undoubtedly, you will be tempted to reply once again, saying how ignorant I must be, how wonderful Plusnet are, how terrible all other ISP's are, and what a kind, charitable professional you are. If you really are such a person, then respect my request and post elsewhere.
zubel
Community Veteran

Quote from: 135kbpshell
As my last post was removed at ReedRichards request, along with a threatening message from PlusNet: 'we will deal with you very firmly' , I shall ask nicely this time.

Your post was removed by the moderators, who have no affiliation with Plusnet and are customers, just like yourself.
B.
135kbpshell
Dabbler

Mr Zubel,
I didn't ask for a reponse from you, and this thread is regarding my pathetic 135kbps linespeed, not the role of the moderator. Yet again, you are making my experience of this forum unejoyable and uninformative. I'd be most grateful if you would remove your comment, which is (by your own admission) a violation of your policy.
Furthermore, I do not believe that you are entirely impartial, or that ReedRichards has no affiliation with PlusNet. Why he should so vehemently defend plusnet and why you would THREATEN me for telling him to take his opininions elsewhere when you and he are just merely customers like myself, I've no idea. I shall make ther same request to you, as I did to him. This thread is about the slow linespeed I've been getting and the repeated apathetic, condescending customer service from PlusNet. I'm only interested in responses from genuine customers with the same problems and experiences, not propoganda and rhetoric from friends of the PlusNet family.
James
Grafter

I'd suggest that this probably isn't the place to carry on this discussion. I think we've safely ascertained that we're going to run round in circles.
FWIW - Neither Barry or ReedRichards are affiliated in any way with ourselves other than being a customer and a volunteering moderator in Barry's case.
As I mentioned to your wife, I'm more than happy to continue to discuss the difficulties that you have experienced with your broadband connection.
zubel
Community Veteran

Whilst I don't doubt that your impression of Plusnet's customer service is far from what it should have been, it seems that no resolution will be made in this thread. 
B.