Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Router - Broadband but no internet

FIXED
Ian88
Hooked

My Router - Broadband but no internet

Hi all

I'm using my existing EE router which is only 12 months old. I have amended the username and password to my new Plusnet  and plusnet member centre password.  Nothing else needed to be amended as the settings matched the Plusnet guidance.

I am connected to Broadband but I have no Internet.  Any idea if this needs to wait a day or is it struggling to authenticate?

I haven't changed any other settings or cables; this worked fine on EE until we changed over 2 days ago.  

Screenshot attached:

10 REPLIES 10
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: My Router - Broadband but no internet

Have you received notification from PlusNet that your broadband is active ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Ian88
Hooked

Yes indeed.

Emailed:

Good news, your broadband service is now up and running.
Getting connected

With our Plusnet router, it's as simple as 1-2-3 to get set up:
Ian88
Hooked

Just wondering if there is an issue in using a special character in the password?  The instructions state to use the same username and password as used to get into the Member Centre, which in my case, has a special character in the password....

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It's possible. You've obviously got some other means of internet access, since you're posting here, so you ought to be able to change your password on the member centre.

Failing that, then its possible that the automated system has failed to activate your account, but unlikely since youve got the email.

As an experiment , try changing the username in the router to setup@plusdsl.net and a blank password. See if that connects, you wont be able to browse the interent but the router SHOULD get an IP. If that works, then your account hasnt activated properly

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

As an experiment , try changing the username in the router to setup@plusdsl.net and a blank password

That won't authenticate.

@Ian88 you are hitting our authentication servers, however we're rejecting the attempts due to a password mis-match.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

That won't authenticate.

@bobpullen Sorry. I thought that would at least connect and confirm the line is provisioned correctly.

So would using the bt_test_user@plusdsl.net be the correct check ?

Ian88
Hooked

Thanks Bob. Really appreciate the check from your end. Thank you. 

This is what I suspected as the Broadband light is on.  I had set the password 4 times and saved each time, and logged out of the member centre and logged back in using the same password.  But it seems the easiest route will be changing the member centre password and then changing the router's password.  

Right; will hop off the mobile's hotspot and try....

Ian88
Hooked

Thanks again Bob

I changed the password but still included an exclamation mark ( ! ) in the password; this seemed to still cause issue with the router as when I changed the password there to the same one, it still failed to connect.

So, I finally changed to a simpler password of upper and lower case and numbers.   Router then connected immediately.

So thanks for your assistance; the member centre change-password page specifically mentions special characters are permissible including !.  Is this actually the case for the router on ADSL, as that seemed to be my problem.

Cheers again

Ian

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Fix

@Ian88 - an exclamation mark should be fine as far as I'm aware. I think it's more likely the EE hub that's malforming things.

In fact, I recall a bug we spotted in early Hub Two trialling where a certain character in the password wasn't being translated/escaped correctly; could well have been an exclamation mark. We fixed it, but if it's the EE Smart Router/Hub you're using, then it wouldn't surprise me to find a similar bug is present.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Ian88
Hooked

Get that and that's highly possible.  Thanks again for checking things so quickly and helping out.  All working fine now.

Cheers, Ian