cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Opinion

Galrey
Grafter

Re: My Opinion

I am back to the test socket.... as my speed went down again when I put everything back together this morning.
So at present I am back to the test socket. Regarding the disconection, everytime the router goes out of sink I will
restart it, as I can't do anything until I do I think today on it's own I had to restart the router twice, and the speed has
gone down to 700kbps I belive.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Quote from: Anotherone
That was a daft question CB  Wink but hear is an even dafter one, did that socket work ing the first place?

*cough* ...here is.... (pick on one mod, pick on them all Wink )
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

OK. I make typos too  Tongue so on yer broomstick or I'll set the wizard on you Wink
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Frangal,
was that ~700kps when you were plugged back in the test socket or was it whilst you still had everything back together?
Galrey
Grafter

Hi Frangal,
was that ~700kps when you were plugged back in the test socket or was it whilst you still had everything back together?

This morning I put everything back together and I had to restart  the router, and it went down, so later on I open the cover again
and now I am back to the test socket to see if I can recover to 1000Kbps....wait a sec I will post some speed tests from today:
Today      21:05        720 kbps (90kB/s)              376 kbps (47kB/s)
Today    18:52        702 kbps (87.8kB/s)          377 kbps (47.1kB/s)
Today    16:28        926 kbps (116kB/s)          350 kbps (43.8kB/s)
Today    12:46        926 kbps (116kB/s)          278 kbps (34.8kB/s)
Today    00:04        1004 kbps (126kB/s)        376 kbps (47kB/s)
Anotherone
Champion

OK, thanks for that, although we are not really interested in throughput speeds for the time being - let me explain.
Your sync speed is the most important thing - it determines your BT profile - this will go down within 75 minutes of a sustained low sync event or immediately if there are more than 2 shorter events in the same timescale. It can take 3-5days for a rise in profile - that's the automatic system.
Your BT profile is then picked up by the PN profile within 12 hours (usually). This profile determines you maximum throughput speed.
Your throughput speed at any given time is also determined by (BT) Exchange congestion and by PN network congestion and traffic shaping.
So you see with any line problem, until the sync speed is stable and the profile is up, throughput is of no interest.
Also if you keep rebooting your router we can't determine how stable your line is and also the DLM (dynamic line management) at the exchange may interpret this as an unstable line and raise the Target SNRM. This is why it's important to power down the modem/router and wait a few minutes before unplugging a filter or modem/router
Your sync speed is determined by your line length and the Target SNRM, the higher the Target SNRM the slower the sync speed. Also the higher the noise on the line the more difficult the Target will be to meet, so slower the sync.
Edit: clarify simplification about noise on line.
Galrey
Grafter

I am terribly sorry Anotherone!...but I must be thick as a brick, or you are talking to me in japanese or something similar (well it sounded to me like so)
Remeber I strugle to understand 4 wires inside a telephone cable, imagine having to understand everything that you just told me. It's pretty clear that
you know what you are talking about, but not everyone learns by someone just telling them how things are, and my learning style is deffenetly not that one.
But I trust you, and I am sure that me and  my sync speed will get there in the end. Shocked
Broadband Line Status

Line Mode G.DMT   Line State Show Time 
Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 00:05:58:43 
Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 1 

Statistics                       Downstream               Upstream 
Line Rate                     1344 Kbps                    448 Kbps 
Noise Margin              9.4 dB                            13.0 dB 
Line Attenuation         62.0 dB                          31.5 dB 
Output Power             16.2 dBm                      12.3 dBm
I am terribly sorry....Can i tell a joke?...I feel like it.
A little girl asked her mum
Mum, how did the human race appeared?
The mother answered by saying:
Well God created Adan and Eve, and then they had children, and that's how the humans appeareded.
Ok thanks
Two days later the little girl decided to ask her dad the same question, and this is what her father said:
Well, long time ago there were this monkeys. As time went by they developed, and they became humans.
Ok thanks
Confused the little girl goes back to her mum and said to her:
Mummy, how come you've told me that the human race was created by God, and now Daddy is saying that we come from monkeys?
Her mum said:
Darling I was telling you about the origin of my family, and daddy of his. Grin
Good night all
Anotherone
Champion

Yes, that was quite funny.
Anyway, I'm sure if you read several times through what I've said, it will become clearer. Take each paragraph in turn.
Also a request, please don't fully quote an immediately preceding post (just use the Reply button). The mods have to come along and edit it (it's against the forum rules).
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

You realise that when you switch from the test socket to a faceplate that you are connecting in the bellwire to any extensions that have wires going to them.
Unless the faceplate is something like an i-plate you will introduce lots of noise, and your sync will reduce or disappear?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Galrey
Grafter

I have received the i-plate, and these are the readings with the i-plate on:
Broadband Line Status

Line Mode G.DMT  Line State Show Time 
Latency Type Interleave  Line Up Time 00:00:09:07 
Line Coding Trellis On  Line Up Count 1 

Statistics                      Downstream                Upstream 
Line Rate                    768 Kbps                      448 Kbps 
Noise Margin              9.9 dB                            12.0 dB 
Line Attenuation        63.0 dB                          31.5 dB 
Output Power            15.8 dBm                      12.5 dBm
Absolute Rubbish.....worse than without it, £9 down the drain.
All the best
Galrey
Grafter

This is with i-plate off:
Broadband Line Status

Line Mode G.DMT   Line State Show Time 
Latency Type Interleave   Line Up Time 00:00:19:08 
Line Coding Trellis On   Line Up Count 1 

Statistics                         Downstream                 Upstream 
Line Rate                        960 Kbps                       448 Kbps 
Noise Margin                 9.7 dB                             13.0 dB 
Line Attenuation            63.0 dB                           31.5 dB 
Output Power                15.3 dBm                        12.4 dBm
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

A direct connection to the test socket will always give the best possible results.
Under normal conditions a connection via the front plate can give very slightly poorer results.
All an i-plate does is filter any interference picked up by the bell-wire and fed into your router.
If it's not principally a bell-wire problem, it will be of no more help then a plain front-plate.
Note that using a front plate - normal or i-plate connects all the other phone wiring in house into your broadband.
Don't return the i-plate (well not yet anyway).
I think you may be in for some seriously painful wire tracing.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

scootie
Grafter

Under normal conditions a connection via the front plate can give very slightly poorer results.

i have'nt got any extensions in this house but i run from my test socket because the connections on the face plate to the test socket seem to give more than a slight drop speed 500kbps-1mb sometimes when ive tried the face plate.
it not common for such big drop in speed but every one do say i am special Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Frangal,
An i-plate will not be a waste of money, it will improve things, it is by how much it improves things you will need to judge. Now I want to make it quite clear, you may have a line problem - which means you will see poor results from time to time (i-plate or no i-plate) and you certainly have an internal wiring issue which an i-plate will sort out IF there are no faults on that internal wiring. None of which we know yet.
Those sync results you have just posted are not dis-similar from those in reply no.7
Despite requests, not only from me, to leave your router on 24/7, that hasn't happened to date and the longest time booted up has been around 13 hrs on the ADSL line stats that you have posted. It is almost impossible to judge anything on that basis, so as yet we have no clear picture.
You've spoken about "losing" internet, & noting that you are using a wireless connection, you have never answered (at least not clearly)  whether the DSL light goes off, as well as the Internet Light. Again, it is difficult to assess what may be happening without a precise answer.
Analysing any broadband fault (especially if there is more than one fault) needs to be done in a VERY methodical and precise manner to eliminate each possible cause one at a time, and that includes precise reporting of answers to questions and results from tests. So far we have only gone part way down this road, so you will need a bit more patience.
If you are reading this now and able to do the following as soon as you can - I hope you didn't leave the modem/router syncing at 960, then power down the modem/router. I hope you had your phone connected via a filter - the i-plate still needs you to use filters.
Whilst we are waiting a few minutes, that socket that is on the extreme left of the pictures you've provided, the one where the cable goes towards the stairs -  can you unscrew it from the mounting box and take a clear picure of the wiring at the back of it. You can then screw it up again.
Make sure the i-plate is fitted on the master socket. Now you know you double filtered your skybox as per earlier suggestion. Swap those two filters over so what was the 2nd filter is now the 1st, and the 1st now the second. Ensure the modem/router is plugged into what is now the 1st filter and your sky box in the 2nd.
Power up the modem/router and post the line stats.
Galrey
Grafter

You've spoken about "losing" internet, & noting that you are using a wireless connection, you have never answered (at least not clearly)  whether the DSL light goes off, as well as the Internet Light. Again, it is difficult to assess what may be happening without a precise answer.

I have answered the question allready, I have said that only the internet light goes off...Once again "THE INTERNET LIGHT ONLY"....
That is why I NEED TO RESTART THE ROUTER...because it does it very often. So because you don't want me to restart the router every
time the intenet light goes off, meanwhile I just leave the router on so that I am not able to do anything, cant browse internet, cant download,
cant check my emails and so on...all so that I can keep you happy for not restarting the router. I tell you something mate, every time that dam
light goes off I will restart the router wether you like or not. And I do understand you when you say that I must wait before I disconect the router,
you have told me many time in the forum, I can't forget about it now, infact I did it this mornig before I conected the i-plate... I waited a couple of
minutes before I umpluged the router from the socket.
Regarding taking pictures inside of that socket next to NTL socket I can't do it now, I had a new kitchen fited in today, and I have to do some cleaning,
and tidding up, so I will do what you are asking me tomorrow.
Ps. I was thinking of disconecting that box next to the NTL cos, I have wireless telephone in the house, and only need one telephone socket (the main
telephone socket only). I will see, now I am intrigued to find out what there is behind there, so more than likely I won't for the time being.