cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Routers or Very Good Wireless

Tensulp
Grafter

Multiple Routers or Very Good Wireless

I am trying to find out if it is possible to connect to Plusnet from 2 different locations in my house wihout using wireless tech. I'm basically wondereing if I can have 2 routers each connected to a different telephone socket with both using the same broadband connection. Is it possible to do this if you had different DHCP settings but the same static IP for Plusnet. I think it can be done if they are not both on at the same time, but what if they are both in use together?
If not, can anyone recommend a good wireless router that can get through several walls and floors and still be able to use for gaming. I had looked at a d-link and a belkin (the N1 Wireless Modem Router) but both don't offer support for PPPoA, although I have read several posts of people using this router with plusnet which just confused me even more. Is PPPoA required or can you connect using PPPoE ????
Thanks in adavance
12 REPLIES 12
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Multiple Routers or Very Good Wireless

If you can't get a decent wireless signal why not go with Powerline networking? eg  http://www.ebuyer.com/product/111402
Tensulp
Grafter

Not an option as the wiring in my house doesn't allow for it, the signal is worse than the wireless I had tried (G).
warmrain
Dabbler

Try a wireless bridge connection up the stairwell or down the corridor (wherever you have less obstruction, to get across the main span).
samuria
Grafter

you should be able to get wireless to work if you use a Yagi antena assuming you are using fixed points as they can give massive gains
Tensulp
Grafter

Does anyone know the answer to the PPPoA/E question. Is there any point buying a router that doesn't support PPPoA? I'm struggling to find a good wirless router that does!!
MickKi
Grafter

When the distance causes losses, wireless will never be as fast as wired for Internet use.  As Samuria said what you want to do is use a second wireless router or Wireless Access Point (WAP) as a repeater of the degrading wireless signal in-between your original router and your PC.  You could use more than one repeaters.  Google for WAP repeater, WAP bridge to check out the settings required and ask here too.
PS.  You can use PPPoE to authenticate to the BT network, but the MTU will be reduced to 1492 which is what PPPoE uses, but you cannot login twice.  You only get one IP allocated to your account and dual login would imply two ISP accounts.
techguy
Grafter

While I've never experimented with wireless in terms of adding antennae, for my day job I provide remote support for two extremely latency sensitive applications  for users with home setups and our attempts to get these to run over wireless have not been auccessful.
Wireless is great for web browsing as this involves short bursts of data whereas gaming/VoIP and similar require a constant stream of data.
Attempts have been made to improve the reliability such as 802.11n but by their nature wireless signals do fluctuate and will never provide a connection as good as wired.
There is such a thing as bonded ADSL (combining more than one ADSL circuit/phone line) to boost download and upload speeds but it is unlikely to be suitable for what you wish to do as it is offered by purely  business focussed ISPs as an alternative to a leased line (an extremely high bandwdth dedicated circuit used to link LANs to ISPs for onward transit of traffic to the internet).
Make sure that you are looking at UK sites for wireless routers as ones sold in the US market are likely to only support PPPoE as this is what is used in the US.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

I have replaced those little stick antennae with a high-gain aerial which comes with a cable.
This allows optimum positioning of the aerial - bolted to the back of a PC on the floor (especially with all that metal) is not optimal.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MickKi
Grafter

You can user external antenas to boost the signal - google for cantena.  You could even make one out of a Pringles tube!  Cheesy
However, the techguy is right, there's no wireless substitute for cat5e cable, especially when one has to go through brick walls.
paulby
Grafter

Does anyone know the answer to the PPPoA/E question. Is there any point buying a router that doesn't support PPPoA? I'm struggling to find a good wirless router that does!!

Firstly, you cannot connect two ADSL modems to the same phone line at the same time (only one can sync with the exchange at any given time).
Secondly, you may be able to use PPPoE on your line dependent upon the equipment BT have installed at your exchange.  If your current router supports PPPoE you could just change from PPPoA/VCMUX to PPPoE/LC-SNAP and see if it works (works with my connection with no noticable difference in speed).
(Edit: Just noticed Mikki has covered this above!)
What might be worth a try though is a wireless range extender.  Saves messing about with bridges and dual routers! 
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

The second wireless router will operate at significantly reduced speed though - less than 1/2 speed.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

techguy
Grafter

Correction to my earlier post, you would need a router or process running on one of your systems to combine the two circuits so bonded ADSL def not an option